IndiaDivine.org

DMN.com coverage of Dallas Zoo Demo

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Many thanks to those who came out to support our demonstration advocating for Jenny's transfer to an elephant sanctuary. On top of being sick, I did my best to speak to the media over the noise that was going on around me. My surroundings were so loud that it was hard to hear myself speak, but I hope I got my point across. Check out the story and video ().Margarethttp://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/051708dnmetelephant.107b8c007.htmlPETA asks Dallas Zoo to close elephant exhibit 1:15 PM CT 02:42 PM CDT on Friday, May 16,

2008 By KIMBERLY DURNAN / The Dallas Morning Newskdurnan People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gathered at the Dallas Zoo on Friday to ask zoo officials to close its elephant exhibit and send the zoo's only elephant, Jenny, to a sanctuary in Tennessee or California. Video PETA members protest Dallas Zoo elephant exhibit (DMN - Video/editing: Richard Michael Pruitt) 05/16/2008 PETA officials say that elephants need to be with other elephants and need room to roam. Margaret Morin spoke for the group of 10 protestors. "We are here to educate the public on Jenny's plight," Ms. Morin said. "She has served her time and now deserves to live the

rest of her life at a sanctuary. The zoo is not a humane environment to an elephant." The group focused its attention on the Dallas zoo after the death this week of the zoo's 39-year-old elephant, KeKe. The elephant died from congestive heart failure, zoo officials said. Zoo officials wouldn't comment on the protest. Chuck Siegel, the zoo's director for animal management, has said the zoo hasn't made a decision about what will happen to Jenny, the remaining elephant, but they do not want her to live alone in the long term. Zoo spokeswoman Susan Eckert said, "Jenny's keepers are keeping a close eye on her to make sure she gets the love and enrichment she needs." Email | Print | RSS | | Buzz Advertisement