IndiaDivine.org

Harley touched me

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Late this afternoon, I went to an Animal Guardians of America dog adoption at Petsmart to drop off a few donated items. I stopped to look at the adoptable dogs, exhausted from having been on display since 11 AM. One of them caught my eye. He was a striking young, black and white border collie mix, who unlike the other dogs sat erect, attentive, and intently staring at me. When I approached his crate to pet him, his bright eyes suddenly clouded over and he ducked his head, not in submission but in obvious sadness. I asked for his story and was told that he is a young dog named Harley, who was surrendered by his owner due to home foreclosure. I was in a

hurry, but this smart dog needed respite from the boredom of a crate, so I decided to take him for a short walk. Although Harley was clearly glad to be out of his crate, he walked calmly on his lead and looked at everything and everyone with friendly but restrained interest. After our walk, we went back to Petsmart, where I sat in the shade in the front of the store for a few minutes, while Harley alternated between sitting in my lap and politely greeting everyone, person or dog, who walked by. When I took him back to his crate, he accepted that he had to go in even though he did not want to. But, just before stepping inside, Harley stopped and touched my hand with his nose. Harley was saying thanks for the walk and for treating him like he mattered. Then, he stepped in his crate, lay down, and resolutely stared at the floor. He did not look at me again. He knew he could not

afford to start liking someone he would never see again. Harley is a smart dog and learns fast. He deserves better. I am all dogged up so sadly, I cannot take this fine dog to live with me. If you are interested in giving Harley a forever home where he will sleep inside and will also have a good sized yard (border collies need exercise), please contact Animal Guardians of America at 214 718 6843.