IndiaDivine.org

Egglant Recipes! Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread

Posted: 18 Jun 2008 11:00 AM CDT

Middle East meets Southwest in this wrap I concocted on the spur of the moment last night. I'd thrown an eggplant into the toaster oven to roast, intending to make my standard baba ganoush, but just before it was done I realized that I was all out of pita bread. Since our hearts were set on sandwiches, D and I decided we'd make wraps with whole wheat tortillas instead. Tortillas made me think of Mexican food, and one thing led to another and soon I was substituting lime juice for lemon, adding chipotle chili powder, and tossing in a handful

of grape tomatoes. Though I had no idea what to call it anymore, the results were a tantalizing blend of creamy, smoky, and spicy. "Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread" will have to do.Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread(printer-friendly version)1 eggplant2 cloves garlicjuice of 1/2 lime1 tablespoon tahini1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)1/4 teaspoon cumin1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper (to taste)1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoesPreheat oven to 400F. Prick eggplant several times with fork. Place it on a baking sheet and roast until it is completely

tender and sunken in on top, from 30 to 45 minutes. (I do this in a toaster oven to avoid heating up the kitchen.) Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to peel. Cut off the top and remove the peel.With the food processor running, drop in the garlic and process until minced. Add the eggplant and all remaining ingredients except the tomatoes. Puree until fairly smooth. Add the tomatoes and pulse to chop coarsely. Serve in tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, red onions, or your own choice of vegetables.Makes about 2 servings. Per serving: 123 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (30% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 553mg Sodium; 7g Fiber. Weight Watchers 2 Flex Points. (This analysis is for the eggplant filling only, not the tortilla or vegetables.)Note: This recipe

makes about enough to fill three smallish (7-inch) tortillas. After we'd each had one, D and I were still hungry, and rather than fight over the remaining filling, I extended it by adding chickpeas and extra spices and tomatoes. The results were still delicious--and a little more filling than the plain eggplant version--so if you're looking for a dip or spread with more ummph (and protein) just add about 1 can of chickpeas (drained) along with the eggplant and double the tahini, lime juice, seasonings, and tomatoes. The nutritional info for 4 servings would then be: 191 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (26% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 553mg Sodium; 6g Fiber. Weight Watchers 4 Flex Points.

Subscribe to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen Comments FeedPhotos, original recipes, and text © Susan Voisin and Fatfree Vegan Recipes, 2006-7. All rights reserved. Please ask permission before re-posting.

You are d to email updates from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen

Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner