IndiaDivine.org

Joyce Poole Endorses TES for Jenny

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jenny is winning friends and influencing people!

Joyne Poole, the leading elephant expert on the planet, endorsed The Elephant Sanctuary (TES) as the place for Jenny (below & attached). Several other highly regarded scientists and handlers joined her in that opinion.

Please re-double your contacts to Mayor Leppert and City Council and urge them to retire Jenny to TES. No zoo nor any AZA facility can provide Jenny with TES' expert rehabilitation and healing environment. Jenny needs and deserves to be retired to TES.

Here's what you can do:

1. Whether or not you live in Dallas, repeatedly and politely call, fax, and email the mayor. If his office tells you to call the Zoo, courteously advise that you urge him to send Jenny to The Elephant Sanctuary. And, advise that you do not want to call the Zoo. The Zoo will not change its plan unless the mayor insists.

Mayor Tom Leppert

Dallas City Hall

1500 Marilla Street, Room 5EN

Dallas, TX 75201-6390

Main Phone: (214) 670-4054

Fax: (214) 670-0646

tom.leppert

2. If you live in Dallas, contact your City Council representative.

Contact city council person at: (214) 670-5111

Or go to: http://www.dallascityhall.com/government/government.html

Joyce Poole's Letter:

ElephantVoices

Buskhellinga 3

3236 Sandefjord

Norway

www.elephantvoices.org

Mayor Tom Leppert and the Dallas City Council

Dallas City Hall August 5, 2008

1500 Marilla Street

Dallas, TX 75201-6390

USA

To the Honorable Mayor and City Council of Dallas:

I have joined colleagues from around the world in calling for sending Jenny to The Elephant Sanctuary. My opinion is based on 33 years of experience studying the behavior of free-living elephants and working for their conservation and welfare. As Director of Research and

Conservation for ElephantVoices and as a member of the Amboseli Elephant Research Project, the longest study of elephants in the world, I can speak with some authority on the natural behavior of elephants and their interests.

I have visited many zoos in the United States and observed the behavior of elephants in these institutions and I have observed the behavior of the elephants on the video from Africam that has been circulating on the web. I have also visited both sanctuaries in the United Sates. As an elephant expert I was given the opportunity to observe the elephants up closely at The Elephant Sanctuary. In my opinion, the behavior of elephants at The Elephant Sanctuary most closely approaches natural behavior because the elephants have space to roam, autonomy over their daily lives and the peace within which to make choices.

If kindness to Jenny is what you and the Dallas community seek to address by transferring her from Dallas, then sending her to The Elephant Sanctuary is the best possible choice available. I would applaud that decision.

August 5, 2008

Joyce Poole, PhD of Research and Conservation of ElephantVoices

Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for the Amboseli Elephant Research Project

(Kenya), the world¢s longest-running study of elephants.