IndiaDivine.org

My E-mail to KERA about The Splendid Table's offensive remarks on 11/26/09

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My email to KERA. Margaret--- On Sat, 11/28/09, Margaret Morin <dogs_good wrote:

Margaret Morin <dogs_goodI was offended by 11/26/09 The Splendid TableswalkerDate: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 5:12 PM

Dear KERA.

I am a member and an avid listener of KERA. Before Thursday, November 26, I have never failed to be pleased by KERA's quality programming. I have always regarded KERA as a highly ethical and responsible broadcaster.

On November 26th, however, I was shocked and offended by the highly unethical remarks made on The Splendid Table when a caller asking for food preparation advice was encouraged to put animal products in her dinner's (proportedly) vegan dishes and to just lie about it to her adult vegan children.

It is beside the point that every scientific journal article I have ever read concludes that ingestion of meat and animal products clogs one's arteries and contributes to many chronic illnesses. My offense is directed toward the guest chef (invited by the program's moderator), who encouraged breaking faith and lying to one's adult children and by default, encourage the same behavior in other listeners about the content of food simply because it is one's personal preference to eat animals.

Encouraging lying to one's family as a matter of convenience is beyond the pale. I lost all respect for Ms. Casper as she is responsible for her selection of guest chefs and therefore, her guest's remarks. In addition, Ms. Casper did nothing to correct what the guest chef said.

I encourage KERA to drop The Splendid table immediately as inconsistent with the values that KERA has consistently put forth. KERA programming should not be encouraging lying and unethical behavior, which is what clearly happened on Thursday's program.

Thank you.

Margaret Morin