IndiaDivine.org

NYC - Horse Drawn Carriage's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Below is a post from Elizabeth, who organizes the International Coalition to Ban Horse Drawn Carriages. Please encourage your friends and family to boycott this cruel industry.

Elizabeth's post:

NYC - We have been trying to keep the subject matter of our Saturday's pressconference alive -- the undercover investigation of the NYC carriage horsestables. Last night we scheduled another demo at at West Side Livery on W. 38th St.between 10th and 11th Avenue. (SEE VIDEO BELOW) A few of us got there aboutone hour early and decided to go for coffee. It is a desolate area with gasstations, strip clubs and empty lots. And it was cold. We walked and walked and finally found Manganaros on 9th Avenue - an oldItalian market that sells loads of cheese, pastries and bloody meat. Didnot look too inviting but it was cold and we needed to get inside. Andthey had coffee. This is actually a famous store and

according to theproprietor is over 200 years old..... 1809?..... maybe. We entered the store and I asked if they had soy milk thinking that aStarbucks type soy latte would be really great. The woman (probably theowner) in all her charm screamed at us *"Soy?! We do not have soy. It's unAmerican." * We asked her if she thought it was for terrorists - that wentover her head. We then asked her how she handled it if someone was lactoseintolerant. She said - *"that does not exist. Look at this food we have -if you eat a good diet, good cheeses, etc. you do not get lactoseintolerant."* She was not happy with us. She thought we were smart asses.We never brought up the V word. She probably would have called the cops. There was no one in the store - but there were several empty tables atwhich to sit. I ordered an espresso - Edita did not want anything. Butno, said the woman - *"You both must

buy something!"* so she got a bottleof water. Trying to be friendly, I said that my Italian father used to love this typeof food. She said something about him disowning me and thinking that sheshould have thrown us out of the store instead when she had the chance. Iwas going to tell her that before my father died, he had pretty much comeover to the compassionate way of life but thought best not to - i reallywanted that espresso and it was cold out. It was actually funny and the espresso was very good. But if you come toNYC, avoid this store unless you are in an antagonistic mood and feel likegiving her a hard time. Don't forget to ask for soy milk. West Side Livery is the one carriage horse stable in NYC owned by Italians -the others are Irish. Folk lore has it that at one time it was the home ofMurder Incorporated (the Italian

and Jewish mafia). At the demo, the stable people called the police and FOUR cop cars showedup - but in NYC, we still have the first amendment (unlike Philly) so aslong as we were not blocking the entrance to the stable, we were within ourrights and they had no problem with us. NYC cops are trained in communityservice and their presence was more to prevent a confrontation than to tellus to move. Although a camera man from channel 2 was there - the footage never aired.But we will continue to try to get this information out because it isshameful. See the Animals' Angels USA undercover video here. this is the shortenedversion that focuses on West Side Livery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjV5TACuRLA *Please continue to fight for these horses in your cities. They desperatelyneed your help.* Find out where they live; what kind of stables they have;what kind of stalls - box or tie?; do they have turnout - they need dailypasture time. In the big cities, the results are probably similar to NYC --multistoried 19th century warehouses; tie stalls; fire traps; no turnout. Alife of hell and then many go off to the auctions. These dispirited automatons are a glaring examples of man's inhumanity toanimals.