IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Outreach Enewsletter, Jan. 6, 2010

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Enewsletter • January 6, 2010

Notes from Vegan Outreach

Thanks!

Thanks so much to the hundreds and hundreds who contributed to Vegan Outreach’s successful end-of-year fundraising campaign. Because of your thoughtful generosity, VO is in a better position to start our work together for the animals in the new decade.

In case you missed it, please see our 2009 review slideshow.* We hope you’re as proud as we are to be a part of such powerful, effective efforts for a better world.

Together, we will continue to make a real difference, every day!

*Note: This is a large file that takes awhile to download. Also, the slideshow does not auto-play – use the navigation arrows at the bottom. If you have problems, please install the latest Flash Player. Thanks!

Coming Soon: Vegan Valentine’s Dance in Berkeley, CA

Join Vegan Outreach on Friday, February 12, for a night of dancing and drinks, fun and food! And a date auction! Join us for a memorable evening, and help promote vegetarianism! Advance ticket sales only, and tickets are limited! Details here.

Products of the Week

Brad: “Sheese. Absolutely the taste, texture and aroma of dairy cheese, with none of the cruelty. Whole Foods stocks it in some stores, and will stock it in others if shoppers ask for it.â€

Terrie: “For a hearty vegan treat, I have been sautéing Tofurky Italian sausage, and then adding them to spaghetti sauce and serving over pasta. Delicious. I have been serving it to non-vegan friends and they like it too.â€

Send your product of the week to product (at) veganoutreach (dot) org; previous entries here.

Notes from All Over

Erik Marcus Interviews Jonathan Safran Foer

Two key points:

Asking people to take the first step, rather than promoting the last step.

Choosing usefulness over thoroughness.

These are central to Vegan Outreach’s approach: not focusing on ourselves or justifying our own views, but creating as much real change as possible in a society where eating an actual chicken leg is rarely even questioned.

See also this interview, which discusses the false “humans vs. animals†dichotomy (search on “Michiko,†about two-thirds down).

Backlogged Lightning Round

Dr. Michael Greger on CNN re: Downer Pigs

What Goes into Chicken

Meat Alternatives: Not Just for Vegans Anymore

Via Vegan.com:

USA Today Analyzes School Lunch Food Safety Standards

Spent Hens for School Lunches

USDA Takes Years to Shut Slaughterhouse

Factory Farm Antibiotic Risks Grow Clearer

California Forbidden from Labeling Meat Hazards

From Veal to Vegan

Notes from Our Members

Students at San Joaquin Delta College study booklets received from Brian Grupe.

Your efforts to bring compassion and awareness to the horrible suffering animals endure is commendable – and is definitely bringing about change. I am pleased to enclose a donation to continue this wonderful work.—ET, 12/16/09

The highlight of Riverside City College was Nolan, who walked by and turned the leaflet down. He went by a second time and to my, “Information to help animals?†he replied with some antagonism, “Help them into my belly?†Then – who knows why – he came up a third time and asked what I was handing out, what organization I was from, and said he was really opposed to violent treatment of animals in factory farming. I admit I was a bit dubious at first and a little tentative, but he persisted. He finished with, “Well, I’m headed to a philosophy class now. This will give me a lot to think about.†—Brianne Donaldson, 12/8/09

Good take rate today at the University of Arizona. Best feedback was from a guy who took an Even If You Like Meat and said, “I’m on board with this.†Then, pointing to the pictures, “This is messed up.†Finally, turning to me to shake my hand, “You’re doing a good thing out here.â€â€”Jeff Boghosian, 11/24/09

At the University of Virginia, a young woman told me she had just taken a test on industrial agriculture in her Environmental Policy class. And shortly before that, a guy let me know that he received a booklet in February and, as a result, decided to try eating 50% less meat, as suggested in the booklet. That went well and so he decided to give vegetarianism a try. It likewise went well, and he hasn’t had any meat in six months. —Jon Camp, 12/7/09

At Lincoln Park High School, the kids seemed to recognize the issue right away, versus taking the booklet with the “Let me see what this is about†look. It was snowing heavily while I leafleted which wasn’t great. Still, it was an awesome morning. Once again I learned that as tempting as it is to get two extra hours of sleep, it’s much more rewarding to kick off the day with successful outreach. —Darina Smith, 12/8/09

Vegan Outreach is a 501©(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing the suffering of farmed animals by promoting informed, ethical eating.

All donations are tax-deductible.

Vegan OutreachPOB 30865, Tucson, AZ 85751-0865

You are d to the following list: Vegan Outreach Enewsletter using the following email: dogs_good. You may automatically from this list at any time by visiting the following URL: http://www.veganoutreach.org/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/u/vo/