IndiaDivine.org

Easy recipes ...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's a dinner you can make with just a few minutes of prep time (you can make the salad ahead) and less than an hour cook time. Spinach pie (vegan or lacto-ovo). 10 minutes prep time, 45-50 minutes cook time. Turn on oven to 350. Take a whole wheat pie crust from the freezer and let thaw in oven for the few minutes of prep time (remember it's in there!). Cook one box

frozen spinach or one pound fresh. (I like fresh – just rinse in salad spinner and pull off the biggest stems, this takes no more time than opening the package of frozen!). Steam (for fresh) or cook (for frozen) the spinach and drain well. Throw into the blender with some onions or scallions or chives (whatever’s in your garden or fridge) and either: A) one pound tofu OR B) a pound of cottage cheese (I use Lactaid) and two eggs. Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg or whatever you like. Blend well. Pour into defrosted crust and bake at 350 F. til done (about 45 min ). This is a very forgiving dish – if you are baking potatoes with it you can bake it at 400 F. for awhile to brown the crust, then

turn down the heat. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a bean salad. Serves 4-6. Protein for the whole pie: 60grams for the cheese/egg version; 32 for the tofu version. To add protein to the meal, you can put any kind of cooked beans into a green salad or serve with a three-bean salad (below). I like it with 3-bean salad and baked potato. Three-bean salad (vegan): 10 minutes prep time. Marinate time: 5 minutes to overnight. Slice very thinly some red onion and marinate in good olive oil mixed with a little red wine (or

balsamic or white or cider) vinegar. Drain and mix together: one part garbanzo beans one part red kidney beans (these can be pre-soaked and cooked and frozen; or canned) Add: one part freshly steamed (or frozen; fresh is much better) green beans. Drain and toss together with all other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you use canned beans: the proportions would be one can each garbanzo and kidney bean, one-half pound fresh green beans, one-half red onion. Serves 4, 14 grams protein per serving.

Get your email and more, right on the new .com

I'd like to make the pie tomorrow. What type of crust do you buy and from

where?

Bob

, Gail Shapiro <weedabutt wrote:

>

> Here's a dinner you can make with just a few minutes of prep time (you can

make the

salad ahead) and less than an hour cook time.

> Spinach pie (vegan or lacto-ovo). 10 minutes prep time, 45-50 minutes cook

time.

>

> Turn on oven to 350. Take a whole wheat pie crust from the freezer and let

thaw in

oven for the few minutes of prep time (remember it's in there!). Cook one box

frozen

spinach or one pound fresh. (I like fresh – just rinse in salad spinner and pull

off the

biggest stems, this takes no more time than opening the package of frozen!).

>

> Steam (for fresh) or cook (for frozen) the spinach and drain well. Throw

into the

blender with some onions or scallions or chives (whatever's in your garden or

fridge) and

either: A) one pound tofu OR B) a pound of cottage cheese (I use Lactaid) and

two eggs.

Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg or whatever you like. Blend well. Pour into

defrosted

crust and bake at 350 F. til done (about 45 min ). This is a very forgiving dish

– if you are

baking potatoes with it you can bake it at 400 F. for awhile to brown the crust,

then turn

down the heat. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a bean salad. Serves

4-6. Protein

for the whole pie: 60grams for the cheese/egg version; 32 for the tofu version.

To add

protein to the meal, you can put any kind of cooked beans into a green salad or

serve with

a three-bean salad (below). I like it with 3-bean salad and baked potato.

>

> Three-bean salad (vegan): 10 minutes prep time. Marinate time: 5 minutes to

overnight.

>

> Slice very thinly some red onion and marinate in good olive oil mixed with a

little red

wine (or balsamic or white or cider) vinegar.

>

> Drain and mix together:

> one part garbanzo beans

> one part red kidney beans

> (these can be pre-soaked and cooked and frozen; or canned)

>

> Add:

> one part freshly steamed (or frozen; fresh is much better) green beans.

Drain and toss

together with all other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

>

> If you use canned beans: the proportions would be one can each garbanzo and

kidney

bean, one-half pound fresh green beans, one-half red onion. Serves 4, 14 grams

protein

per serving.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Get your email and more, right on the new .com

>

Hi Bob - Normally, I make my own crust and freeze ahead, but if in a hurry I might use Wholey Wholesome Organic 9" crusts, carried at Whole Foods. It does have evaporated cane juice; however I have not found the amount of sugar (listed as less than one gram per serving for 1/8 of the crust, or less than 2 grams if you serve as per my recipe) to be troubling nor a trigger for me. Those on Step Six and above might want to experiment....should be fine for all other steps.Bob <yogabob7 wrote: I'd like to make the pie tomorrow. What type of crust do you buy and from where?Bob , Gail Shapiro wrote:>> Here's a dinner you can make with just a few minutes of prep time (you can make the salad ahead) and

less than an hour cook time. > Spinach pie (vegan or lacto-ovo). 10 minutes prep time, 45-50 minutes cook time.> > Turn on oven to 350. Take a whole wheat pie crust from the freezer and let thaw in oven for the few minutes of prep time (remember it's in there!). Cook one box frozen spinach or one pound fresh. (I like fresh – just rinse in salad spinner and pull off the biggest stems, this takes no more time than opening the package of frozen!).> > Steam (for fresh) or cook (for frozen) the spinach and drain well. Throw into the blender with some onions or scallions or chives (whatever's in your garden or fridge) and either: A) one pound tofu OR B) a pound of cottage cheese (I use Lactaid) and two eggs. Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg or whatever you like. Blend well. Pour into defrosted crust and bake at 350 F. til done (about 45 min ). This is a very forgiving dish – if you are baking potatoes with it

you can bake it at 400 F. for awhile to brown the crust, then turn down the heat. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a bean salad. Serves 4-6. Protein for the whole pie: 60grams for the cheese/egg version; 32 for the tofu version. To add protein to the meal, you can put any kind of cooked beans into a green salad or serve with a three-bean salad (below). I like it with 3-bean salad and baked potato.> > Three-bean salad (vegan): 10 minutes prep time. Marinate time: 5 minutes to overnight.> > Slice very thinly some red onion and marinate in good olive oil mixed with a little red wine (or balsamic or white or cider) vinegar.> > Drain and mix together:> one part garbanzo beans> one part red kidney beans > (these can be pre-soaked and cooked and frozen; or canned)> > Add:> one part freshly steamed (or frozen; fresh is much better) green beans. Drain and toss

together with all other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.> > If you use canned beans: the proportions would be one can each garbanzo and kidney bean, one-half pound fresh green beans, one-half red onion. Serves 4, 14 grams protein per serving.> > > > > > > Get your email and more, right on the new .com>

Hi Gail,

How do you make your own crust(s), that's what I'd like to do.

If possible, please let me know.

Thank you & hope your mouth is feeling a little better.

Bob

>

> Hi Bob -

>

> Normally, I make my own crust and freeze ahead, but if in a hurry I might

use Wholey

Wholesome Organic 9 " crusts, carried at Whole Foods. It does have evaporated

cane juice;

however I have not found the amount of sugar (listed as less than one gram per

serving

for 1/8 of the crust, or less than 2 grams if you serve as per my recipe) to be

troubling nor

a trigger for me. Those on Step Six and above might want to experiment....should

be fine

for all other steps.

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

>

> I'd like to make the pie tomorrow. What type of crust do you buy and from

where?

>

> Bob

>

> , Gail Shapiro wrote:

> >

> > Here's a dinner you can make with just a few minutes of prep time (you can

make the

> salad ahead) and less than an hour cook time.

> > Spinach pie (vegan or lacto-ovo). 10 minutes prep time, 45-50 minutes cook

time.

> >

> > Turn on oven to 350. Take a whole wheat pie crust from the freezer and let

thaw in

> oven for the few minutes of prep time (remember it's in there!). Cook one box

frozen

> spinach or one pound fresh. (I like fresh – just rinse in salad spinner and

pull off the

> biggest stems, this takes no more time than opening the package of frozen!).

> >

> > Steam (for fresh) or cook (for frozen) the spinach and drain well. Throw

into the

> blender with some onions or scallions or chives (whatever's in your garden or

fridge)

and

> either: A) one pound tofu OR B) a pound of cottage cheese (I use Lactaid) and

two eggs.

> Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg or whatever you like. Blend well. Pour into

defrosted

> crust and bake at 350 F. til done (about 45 min ). This is a very forgiving

dish – if you

are

> baking potatoes with it you can bake it at 400 F. for awhile to brown the

crust, then turn

> down the heat. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a bean salad. Serves

4-6.

Protein

> for the whole pie: 60grams for the cheese/egg version; 32 for the tofu

version. To add

> protein to the meal, you can put any kind of cooked beans into a green salad

or serve

with

> a three-bean salad (below). I like it with 3-bean salad and baked potato.

> >

> > Three-bean salad (vegan): 10 minutes prep time. Marinate time: 5 minutes to

> overnight.

> >

> > Slice very thinly some red onion and marinate in good olive oil mixed with a

little red

> wine (or balsamic or white or cider) vinegar.

> >

> > Drain and mix together:

> > one part garbanzo beans

> > one part red kidney beans

> > (these can be pre-soaked and cooked and frozen; or canned)

> >

> > Add:

> > one part freshly steamed (or frozen; fresh is much better) green beans.

Drain and toss

> together with all other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

> >

> > If you use canned beans: the proportions would be one can each garbanzo and

kidney

> bean, one-half pound fresh green beans, one-half red onion. Serves 4, 14 grams

protein

> per serving.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Get your email and more, right on the new .com

> >

>

Hi Bob - thanks, yes, I am a bit better - I actually got out of the house yesterday! :) Um, not sure I can tell you exactly how to make the pie crust, as I do it by feel... Here's my best try: whole wheat pastry flour, a pinch of salt. Then cut in some good oil with no taste (I use whatever is on hand), add enough ice water drip by drip til it holds it shape, then pat into a ball and chill til the right consistency to roll out. I'm sorry this probably isn't much help to a less-experienced baker..... I'm sure there are some good recipes out there!Bob <yogabob7 wrote: Hi Gail,How do you make your own crust(s), that's what I'd like to do.If possible, please let me know.Thank you & hope your mouth is feeling a little better.Bob--- In

, Gail Shapiro wrote:>> Hi Bob -> > Normally, I make my own crust and freeze ahead, but if in a hurry I might use Wholey Wholesome Organic 9" crusts, carried at Whole Foods. It does have evaporated cane juice; however I have not found the amount of sugar (listed as less than one gram per serving for 1/8 of the crust, or less than 2 grams if you serve as per my recipe) to be troubling nor a trigger for me. Those on Step Six and above might want to experiment....should be fine for all other steps.> > Bob wrote:> > I'd like to make the pie tomorrow. What type of crust do you buy and from where?> > Bob> > , Gail Shapiro wrote:> >> > Here's a dinner you can make with just a few minutes of prep time (you can make the > salad ahead) and less than an

hour cook time. > > Spinach pie (vegan or lacto-ovo). 10 minutes prep time, 45-50 minutes cook time.> > > > Turn on oven to 350. Take a whole wheat pie crust from the freezer and let thaw in > oven for the few minutes of prep time (remember it's in there!). Cook one box frozen > spinach or one pound fresh. (I like fresh – just rinse in salad spinner and pull off the > biggest stems, this takes no more time than opening the package of frozen!).> > > > Steam (for fresh) or cook (for frozen) the spinach and drain well. Throw into the > blender with some onions or scallions or chives (whatever's in your garden or fridge) and > either: A) one pound tofu OR B) a pound of cottage cheese (I use Lactaid) and two eggs. > Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg or whatever you like. Blend well. Pour into defrosted > crust and bake at 350 F. til done (about 45 min ). This is a very

forgiving dish – if you are > baking potatoes with it you can bake it at 400 F. for awhile to brown the crust, then turn > down the heat. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a bean salad. Serves 4-6. Protein > for the whole pie: 60grams for the cheese/egg version; 32 for the tofu version. To add > protein to the meal, you can put any kind of cooked beans into a green salad or serve with > a three-bean salad (below). I like it with 3-bean salad and baked potato.> > > > Three-bean salad (vegan): 10 minutes prep time. Marinate time: 5 minutes to > overnight.> > > > Slice very thinly some red onion and marinate in good olive oil mixed with a little red > wine (or balsamic or white or cider) vinegar.> > > > Drain and mix together:> > one part garbanzo beans> > one part red kidney beans > > (these can be pre-soaked and

cooked and frozen; or canned)> > > > Add:> > one part freshly steamed (or frozen; fresh is much better) green beans. Drain and toss > together with all other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.> > > > If you use canned beans: the proportions would be one can each garbanzo and kidney > bean, one-half pound fresh green beans, one-half red onion. Serves 4, 14 grams protein > per serving.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Get your email and more, right on the new .com> >> > > > > > > >

This is how I make them:

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

½ tsp. salt

1/3 cup shortening

2-3 Tbsp. ice water

whole wheat pastry flour

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small

peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is

moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for

15 minutes.

Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with

your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll

out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.

Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate,

dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed

paper; trim edges and crimp dough.

Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with

a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Connie

Connie,

This looks good and it's something which I can follow.

Thank you,

Bob

, " Connie Cheney " <iluvoldeng

wrote:

>

> This is how I make them:

>

> Whole Wheat Pie Crust

>

> Ingredients

>

> 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

> ½ tsp. salt

> 1/3 cup shortening

> 2-3 Tbsp. ice water

> whole wheat pastry flour

>

>

> Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small

> peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is

> moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for

> 15 minutes.

>

> Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with

> your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll

> out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.

>

> Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate,

> dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed

> paper; trim edges and crimp dough.

>

> Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with

> a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

>

> Connie

>

Thanks, Connie! That sounds just about how I do it, but I could not write it down correctly. I know the others will appreciate your more precise version! GailConnie Cheney <iluvoldeng wrote: This is how I make them:Whole Wheat Pie CrustIngredients1 cup whole wheat pastry flour½ tsp. salt1/3 cup shortening2-3 Tbsp. ice waterwhole wheat pastry flourMix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll out pastry 2

inches larger than inverted pie plate.Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate, dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed paper; trim edges and crimp dough.Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.Connie

OK, I get the message..... no more "by the seat of your pants" recipes from me. Only those with actual measurements! :) GailBob <yogabob7 wrote: Connie,This looks good and it's something which I can follow. Thank you,Bob , "Connie Cheney" wrote:>> This is how I make them:> > Whole Wheat Pie Crust> > Ingredients> > 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour> ½ tsp. salt> 1/3 cup shortening> 2-3 Tbsp. ice water> whole wheat pastry flour> > > Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small > peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is > moistened. Gather into a ball; cover

with plastic wrap and refrigerate for > 15 minutes.> > Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with > your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll > out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.> > Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate, > dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed > paper; trim edges and crimp dough.> > Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with > a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.> > Connie>

Gail, I am the same way. On the recipes that I have invented, I eyeball most of the ingredients, unless it's stuff like a can of beans. But things like sauces that I add - I have no clue how much, I just add what looks right.

Allison

Gail Shapiro Sep 12, 2006 3:27 PM Re: Re: Easy recipes ...

OK, I get the message..... no more "by the seat of your pants" recipes from me. Only those with actual measurements! :)

GailBob <yogabob7 wrote:

Connie,This looks good and it's something which I can follow. Thank you,Bob , "Connie Cheney" wrote:>> This is how I make them:> > Whole Wheat Pie Crust> > Ingredients> > 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour> ½ tsp. salt> 1/3 cup shortening> 2-3 Tbsp. ice water> whole wheat pastry flour> > > Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small > peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is > moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for > 15 minutes.> > Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with > your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll > out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.> > Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate, > dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed > paper; trim edges and crimp dough.> > Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with > a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.> > Connie>

Gail,

My dad is a Nuclear Engineer and I am a scientist as well = very " left brained " .

It's my

weakness going on here. I'm sorry did want you to feel bad at all.

Smile,

Bob

>

> OK, I get the message..... no more " by the seat of your pants " recipes from

me. Only

those with actual measurements! :)

> Gail

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Connie,

>

> This looks good and it's something which I can follow.

>

> Thank you,

>

> Bob

>

> , " Connie Cheney " wrote:

> >

> > This is how I make them:

> >

> > Whole Wheat Pie Crust

> >

> > Ingredients

> >

> > 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

> > ½ tsp. salt

> > 1/3 cup shortening

> > 2-3 Tbsp. ice water

> > whole wheat pastry flour

> >

> >

> > Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small

> > peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is

> > moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for

> > 15 minutes.

> >

> > Place dough on a piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with

> > your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll

> > out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.

> >

> > Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate,

> > dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed

> > paper; trim edges and crimp dough.

> >

> > Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with

> > a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

> >

> > Connie

> >

>

Yes - I learned how to cook by hanging around and watching my nana and my mom...alschacht wrote: Gail, I am the same way. On the recipes that I have invented, I eyeball most of the ingredients, unless it's stuff like a can of beans. But things like sauces that I add - I have no clue how much, I just add what looks right. Allison Gail Shapiro Sep 12, 2006 3:27 PM Re: Re: Easy recipes ... OK, I get the message..... no more "by the seat of your pants" recipes from me. Only those

with actual measurements! :) GailBob <yogabob7 wrote: Connie,This looks good and it's something which I can follow. Thank you,Bob , "Connie Cheney" wrote:>> This is how I make them:> > Whole Wheat Pie Crust> > Ingredients> > 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour> ½ tsp. salt> 1/3 cup shortening> 2-3 Tbsp. ice water> whole wheat pastry flour> > > Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small > peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is > moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for > 15 minutes.> > Place dough on a

piece of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with > your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll > out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.> > Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate, > dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed > paper; trim edges and crimp dough.> > Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with > a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.> > Connie>

You didn't make me feel bad; I thought what you said was funny. Having prepared more than 40,000 meals (for anywhere from two to 14 people on a regular basis, depending on my living situation at the time), and having helped prepare countless others while I was growing up, I find that having to depend on using recipes wastes time... but I certainly have respect for those who are learning.Bob <yogabob7 wrote: Gail,My dad is a Nuclear Engineer and I am a scientist as well = very "left brained". It's my weakness going on here. I'm sorry did want you to feel bad at all.Smile,Bob , Gail Shapiro wrote:>> OK, I get the message..... no more "by the seat of your pants" recipes from me. Only those with

actual measurements! :)> Gail> > Bob wrote:> Connie,> > This looks good and it's something which I can follow. > > Thank you,> > Bob> > , "Connie Cheney" wrote:> >> > This is how I make them:> > > > Whole Wheat Pie Crust> > > > Ingredients> > > > 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour> > ½ tsp. salt> > 1/3 cup shortening> > 2-3 Tbsp. ice water> > whole wheat pastry flour> > > > > > Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are size of small > > peas. Sprinkle in water slowly, tossing with fork until all flour is > > moistened. Gather into a ball; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for > > 15 minutes.> > > > Place dough on a piece

of lightly-floured waxed paper; flatten dough with > > your hand, sprinkle with a little flour, cover with waxed paper, and roll > > out pastry 2 inches larger than inverted pie plate.> > > > Remove one piece of waxed paper; invert pie plate over dough; turn plate, > > dough, and remaining piece of waxed paper right side up. Remove waxed > > paper; trim edges and crimp dough.> > > > Fill and bake as directed in pie recipe OR for baked crust, prick dough with > > a fork and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.> > > > Connie> >> > > > > > > >

You are welcome! After having people say to me, " Now how do you ... " I have

gotten into the habit of writing my recipes with very detailed instructions.

Sure helps in the sharing process but I rarely look at them myself (unless

it has been a while since I made it last.)

Connie