IndiaDivine.org

quantity of beans!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans means stuffing my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of Garbanzo beans with little salad leaves, dressing, little cheese. One result is that I am not sleepy, instead I am enegetic. Is this due to Beta endorphin release,due to happiness that I could finish eating the required amount of protein, inspite of the food being not tasty? I would like to eat beans this way, with salad leaves and some cheese. Would this be a balanced meal with brown, protein and leaves? KiranKiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2 wrote: I have cooked lentils in crock pot. It takes about 4 hours to cook lentils in crockpot. It does get overcooked if left longer. Then it becomes very soft, it is still very much eatable. some people like to cook till grains are visible. Some like the very soft kind, so it is personal preferance. KiranBob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote: Allison,If it takes 50-70 min to cook lentils on a low fire "stove top", how long would it take to cook in a crock pot? Is it possible to overcook things in a Crock Pot? Don't know why I've just been so curious

the past couple of weeks....Just wondering,Bob , alschacht wrote:>> I love crock pots, and have done lots of cooking in them, although I don't think I've cooked any vegetarian food in one. It should work well for things like chili. I do have a recipe for curried lentil soup that I have modified a bit.> Allison> > > >Bob <yogabob7> >Sep 17, 2006 1:21 PM> > > > Lentil Soup> >> >Was deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can, so decided to > >make a pot. The total cost of ingrediants was $6.45 and made

about 6 times the amount in > >the can. These are rather lean times for my family & I, so stretching our food dollar is > >important. Also feel that with fresh made food you know exactly what's in it. I combined > >some Indian Hot Peppers and also added Mustard Seed to add flavor, turned out really good. > >I'm all set for the week now.> >> >So much for Sunday cooking for the balance of the week. I've never tried cooking in a crock > >pot, have you guy's had any luck with crockpots?> >> >Smile,> >> >Bob> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >

Kiran,Do what you are able to do. Find what is tasty and what works for you. Beans and salad leaves is not a balanced meal.If you have beans and rice with vegetables you will be closer.Warmly,kathleenOn Sep 26, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Kiran Agarwal wrote: I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans means stuffing my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of Garbanzo beans with little salad leaves, dressing, little cheese. One result is that I am not sleepy, instead I am enegetic. Is this due to Beta endorphin release,due to happiness that I could finish eating the required amount of protein, inspite of the food being not tasty? I would like to eat beans this way, with salad leaves and some cheese. Would this be a balanced meal with brown, protein and leaves? KiranKiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2 wrote: I have cooked lentils in crock pot. It takes about 4 hours to cook lentils in crockpot. It does get overcooked if left longer. Then it becomes very soft, it is still very much eatable. some people like to cook till grains are visible. Some like the very soft kind, so it is personal preferance. KiranBob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote: Allison,If it takes 50-70 min to cook lentils on a low fire "stove top", how long would it take to cook in a crock pot? Is it possible to overcook things in a Crock Pot? Don't know why I've just been so curious the past couple of weeks....Just wondering,Bob , alschacht wrote:>> I love crock pots, and have done lots of cooking in them, although I don't think I've cooked any vegetarian food in one. It should work well for things like chili. I do have a recipe for curried lentil soup that I have modified a bit.> Allison> > > >Bob <yogabob7> >Sep 17, 2006 1:21 PM> > > > Lentil Soup> >> >Was deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can, so decided to > >make a pot. The total cost of ingrediants was $6.45 and made about 6 times the amount in > >the can. These are rather lean times for my family & I, so stretching our food dollar is > >important. Also feel that with fresh made food you know exactly what's in it. I combined > >some Indian Hot Peppers and also added Mustard Seed to add flavor, turned out really good. > >I'm all set for the week now.> >> >So much for Sunday cooking for the balance of the week. I've never tried cooking in a crock > >pot, have you guy's had any luck with crockpots?> >> >Smile,> >> >Bob> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >

Kiran,

You may want to try Hummus, it's tasty and is rather fun to eat, perhaps with

whole wheat

pita? There are also some easy recipes to convert Garbanzo Beans into Hummus,

why not

give it a try?

Bob

, Kiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2

wrote:

>

> I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans

means stuffing

my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any

suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of

Garbanzo beans with little salad leaves, dressing, little cheese. One result is

that I am not

sleepy, instead I am enegetic. Is this due to Beta endorphin release,due to

happiness that I

could finish eating the required amount of protein, inspite of the food being

not tasty? I

would like to eat beans this way, with salad leaves and some cheese. Would this

be a

balanced meal with brown, protein and leaves?

> Kiran

>

>

> Kiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2 wrote: I have cooked lentils in

crock pot. It

takes about 4 hours to cook lentils in crockpot. It does get overcooked if left

longer. Then

it becomes very soft, it is still very much eatable. some people like to cook

till grains are

visible. Some like the very soft kind, so it is personal preferance.

> Kiran

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Allison,

>

> If it takes 50-70 min to cook lentils on a low fire " stove top " , how long

would it take to

> cook in a crock pot? Is it possible to overcook things in a Crock Pot?

>

> Don't know why I've just been so curious the past couple of weeks....

>

> Just wondering,

>

> Bob

>

> , alschacht@ wrote:

> >

> > I love crock pots, and have done lots of cooking in them, although I don't

think I've

> cooked any vegetarian food in one. It should work well for things like chili.

I do have a

> recipe for curried lentil soup that I have modified a bit.

> > Allison

> >

> >

> > >Bob <yogabob7@>

> > >Sep 17, 2006 1:21 PM

> > >

> > > Lentil Soup

> > >

> > >Was deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can,

so

> decided to

> > >make a pot. The total cost of ingrediants was $6.45 and made about 6 times

the

> amount in

> > >the can. These are rather lean times for my family & I, so stretching our

food dollar

is

> > >important. Also feel that with fresh made food you know exactly what's in

it. I

> combined

> > >some Indian Hot Peppers and also added Mustard Seed to add flavor, turned

out

really

> good.

> > >I'm all set for the week now.

> > >

> > >So much for Sunday cooking for the balance of the week. I've never tried

cooking in

a

> crock

> > >pot, have you guy's had any luck with crockpots?

> > >

> > >Smile,

> > >

> > >Bob

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

On 9/27/06, Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Kiran,

>

> You may want to try Hummus, it's tasty and is rather fun to eat, perhaps with

whole wheat

> pita? There are also some easy recipes to convert Garbanzo Beans into Hummus,

why not

> give it a try?

>

We love hummus here. It's great with veggies instead of bread, as well.

If you do some web searches, you can find some hummus with other sorts

of beans and veggies mixed in (I saw a red pepper hummus somewhere.)

--

Patti Robinson

pattirobinson

> Kiran,

>

> You may want to try Hummus,...

A store called Wild Oats always has nice looking marinated salads in

their deli case - usually a mixture of a brown & bean, with a few

chopped veggies & fresh herbs, eg quinoa & lima salad. You could make

some yourself, but I would swap the proportions- thiers looks like 1/3

beans, 2/3 brown. I would do the reverse and add fun veggies. Better

than beans straight from a can. =)

Also, I can eat a lot more mashed beans than whole beans. eg make a

lowfat refried bean.

thanks. I am trying salad. regards kiranshadowedorchid <shadowedorchid wrote: > Kiran,> > You may want to try Hummus,...A store called Wild Oats always has nice looking marinated salads in their deli case - usually a mixture of a brown & bean, with a few chopped veggies & fresh herbs, eg quinoa & lima salad. You could make some yourself, but I would swap the proportions- thiers looks like 1/3 beans, 2/3 brown. I would do the

reverse and add fun veggies. Better than beans straight from a can. =) Also, I can eat a lot more mashed beans than whole beans. eg make a lowfat refried bean.

Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

thanks kathleen, i am going to try one indian bread with salad. i will work something out and share it with group. regards kiranKathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote: Kiran, Do what you are able to do. Find what is tasty and what works for you. Beans and salad leaves is not a balanced meal. If you have beans and rice with vegetables you will be closer. Warmly, kathleen On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Kiran Agarwal wrote: I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans means stuffing my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of Garbanzo beans with little salad leaves, dressing, little cheese. One result is that I am not sleepy, instead I am enegetic. Is this due to Beta endorphin release,due to happiness that I could finish eating the required amount of protein, inspite of the food being not tasty? I would like to eat beans this way, with salad leaves and some cheese. Would this be a balanced meal with brown, protein and leaves? KiranKiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2 (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote: I have cooked lentils in crock pot. It takes about 4 hours to cook lentils in crockpot. It does get overcooked if left longer. Then it becomes very soft, it is still very much eatable. some people like to cook till grains are visible. Some like the very soft kind, so it is personal preferance. KiranBob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote: Allison,If it takes 50-70 min to cook lentils on a low fire "stove top", how long would it take to cook in a crock pot? Is it possible to overcook things in a Crock Pot? Don't know why I've just been so curious the past couple of weeks....Just

wondering,Bob , alschacht wrote:>> I love crock pots, and have done lots of cooking in them, although I don't think I've cooked any vegetarian food in one. It should work well for things like chili. I do have a recipe for curried lentil soup that I have modified a bit.> Allison> > > >Bob <yogabob7> >Sep 17, 2006 1:21 PM> > > > Lentil Soup> >> >Was deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can, so decided to > >make a pot. The total cost of ingrediants was $6.45 and made about 6

times the amount in > >the can. These are rather lean times for my family & I, so stretching our food dollar is > >important. Also feel that with fresh made food you know exactly what's in it. I combined > >some Indian Hot Peppers and also added Mustard Seed to add flavor, turned out really good. > >I'm all set for the week now.> >> >So much for Sunday cooking for the balance of the week. I've never tried cooking in a crock > >pot, have you guy's had any luck with crockpots?> >> >Smile,> >> >Bob> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > >

Karan,

If you have access, you may want to try having " Whole Wheat Naan " . When

traveling this is

what I alway's get, even if I have to pay more for it....

Yummm,

Bob

wrote:

>

> thanks kathleen, i am going to try one indian bread with salad. i will work

something

out and share it with group.

> regards

> kiran

>

> Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:

> Kiran,

>

> Do what you are able to do. Find what is tasty and what works for you. Beans

and salad

leaves is not a balanced meal.

> If you have beans and rice with vegetables you will be closer.

>

>

> Warmly,

> kathleen

> On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Kiran Agarwal wrote:

>

means stuffing

my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any

suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of

that I am not

happiness that I

not tasty? I

be a

> Kiran

>

>

crock pot. It

longer. Then

till grains are

> Kiran

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Allison,

>

would it take to

>

>

> Just wondering,

>

> Bob

>

> , alschacht@ wrote:

> >

think I've

I do have a

> > Allison

> >

> >

> > >Bob <yogabob7@>

> > >

> > > Lentil Soup

> > >

> > >Was deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can,

so

> decided to

the

> amount in

food dollar

is

it. I

> combined

out

really

> good.

> > >

cooking in

a

> crock

> > >

> > >Smile,

> > >

> > >Bob

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

Thanks Bob. I tried Ezkail bread from Trader joe's with Indian chutney and cheese. It is tasty. Whole wheat Nan is a good idea, i'll try it. KiranBob <yogabob7 wrote: Karan,If you have access, you may want to try having "Whole Wheat Naan". When traveling this is what I alway's get, even if I have to pay more for it....Yummm,Bob , Kiran Agarwal

<kiranagarwal2 wrote:>> thanks kathleen, i am going to try one indian bread with salad. i will work something out and share it with group.> regards> kiran> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:> Kiran, > > Do what you are able to do. Find what is tasty and what works for you. Beans and salad leaves is not a balanced meal.> If you have beans and rice with vegetables you will be closer.> > > Warmly,> kathleen> On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Kiran Agarwal wrote:> > I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans means stuffing my self with one 15 oz tin of garbanzo beans. I took 45 minutes to eat them. Any suggestions. Can I take them as protein and browns both? Today I took one can of Garbanzo beans with little salad leaves, dressing, little cheese. One result is that I am not

sleepy, instead I am enegetic. Is this due to Beta endorphin release,due to happiness that I could finish eating the required amount of protein, inspite of the food being not tasty? I would like to eat beans this way, with salad leaves and some cheese. Would this be a balanced meal with brown, protein and leaves? > Kiran> > > Kiran Agarwal <kiranagarwal2 wrote: I have cooked lentils in crock pot. It takes about 4 hours to cook lentils in crockpot. It does get overcooked if left longer. Then it becomes very soft, it is still very much eatable. some people like to cook till grains are visible. Some like the very soft kind, so it is personal preferance. > Kiran> > Bob <yogabob7 wrote:> Allison,> > If it takes 50-70 min to cook lentils on a low fire "stove top", how long would it take to > cook in a crock pot? Is it possible to overcook

things in a Crock Pot? > > Don't know why I've just been so curious the past couple of weeks....> > Just wondering,> > Bob> > , alschacht@ wrote:> >> > I love crock pots, and have done lots of cooking in them, although I don't think I've > cooked any vegetarian food in one. It should work well for things like chili. I do have a > recipe for curried lentil soup that I have modified a bit.> > Allison> > > > > > >Bob <yogabob7@>> > >Sep 17, 2006 1:21 PM> > > > > > Lentil Soup> > >> > >Was

deliberating over buing a can of Amy's Lentil Soup, which is $3.29/can, so > decided to > > >make a pot. The total cost of ingrediants was $6.45 and made about 6 times the > amount in > > >the can. These are rather lean times for my family & I, so stretching our food dollar is > > >important. Also feel that with fresh made food you know exactly what's in it. I > combined > > >some Indian Hot Peppers and also added Mustard Seed to add flavor, turned out really > good. > > >I'm all set for the week now.> > >> > >So much for Sunday cooking for the balance of the week. I've never tried cooking in a > crock > > >pot, have you guy's had any luck with crockpots?> > >> > >Smile,> > >> > >Bob> > >> > >> > >> > >> >

>> > >> > >> > >> > > > > >

I've found some Indian restaurants have whole-grained paratha, too. It's

another bread option. Of course some places have more beige-y bread then

others. Friday I went to a place who's paratha was completely white LOL.

Heather

on behalf of Bob

Sat 9/30/2006 12:44 PM

Re: quantity of beans!

Karan,

If you have access, you may want to try having " Whole Wheat Naan " . When

traveling this is

what I alway's get, even if I have to pay more for it....

Yummm,

Bob

wrote:

>

> thanks kathleen, i am going to try one indian bread with salad. i will work

something

out and share it with group.

> regards

> kiran

>

> Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:

> Kiran,

>

> Do what you are able to do. Find what is tasty and what works for you. Beans

and salad

leaves is not a balanced meal.

> If you have beans and rice with vegetables you will be closer.

>

>

> Warmly,

> kathleen

> On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Kiran Agarwal wrote:

>

means stuffing

that I am not

happiness that I

not tasty? I

be a

> Kiran

>

>

crock pot. It

longer. Then

till grains are

> Kiran

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Allison,

>

would it take to

>

>

> Just wondering,

>

> Bob

>

> , alschacht@ wrote:

> >

think I've

I do have a

> > Allison

> >

> >

> > >Bob <yogabob7@>

> > >

> > > Lentil Soup

> > >

so

> decided to

the

> amount in

food dollar

is

it. I

> combined

out

really

> good.

> > >

cooking in

a

> crock

> > >

> > >Smile,

> > >

> > >Bob

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >