IndiaDivine.org

re: difficult eating so many beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Kiran and group:

I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans.

I am new to the group, maybe joined about a month ago. I thought it would be nice to communicate with fellow vegetarians about the new way of eating.

Some beans have more protein. Lentils have 13 grams for 1/4 cup dry. (About 1/2 cup cooked). Split peas 12 grams - 1/4 cup. Kidney beans have 13 grams -1/4 cup. The hummus is a great idea. It has additional protein from the tahini.

You may also want to make your chickpeas as an Indian dish, you can find recipes for Chole, Kabli Chana, or mini chickpeas- Chana dal. You may want to eat your beans with tofu or cheese to vary the protein source at each meal. Also for non-vegans cottage cheese is high in protein and has lower calories than most cheeses and yogurt. This way you don't get sick of your meal.

Also grains have protein, quinoa has 6 grams per 1/4 cup dry. Millet 5 grams per 1/4 cup, and brown rice 3 grams per 1/4 cup, so you can reduce the protein from the main source (beans, tofu, etc.).

I am finding it takes time to fine tune the new eating plan. I find that I am eating mostly protein at my meals, and have cut back on the rice, bread, etc.

I have a question too. If I am on a reducing diet, can I calculate the grams of protein I need to eat based on my ideal weight, instead of current weight?

Thanks, and Good Luck

Deanna

Hi Deanna, When I first started YLD, and the idea of eating so much protein was overwhelming, I used the low end of the protein/body weight equation (.4) which was a HUGE increase for me. I was surprised how much food that was, and there was not a lot of room for much else (other than browns and greens). If you eat for your "new" weight, depending on how much you want to lose, you may not be getting enough for healing. I think others more experienced may have more to say. I have learned that the best thing to do is to experiment and journal carefully. You could try eating at the lower end and see if you get hungry before next mealtime. For the first few months I used protein powder for breakfast shake, I did not realize that it did not contain a brown. I would get SO hungry in about three hours. Finally, it occurred to me to actually look at the ingredients (I had only checked to be sure it was vegan

and had enough protein). Sure enough - no brown. I felt like such a dummy! So I started throwing in a 1/4 cup of whole oats and voila - 5 hours, no hunger. This is a journey to see what works for you. DVR2004 wrote: Hi Kiran and group: I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans. I am new to the group, maybe joined about a month ago. I thought it would be nice to communicate with fellow vegetarians about the new way of eating. Some beans have more protein. Lentils have 13 grams for 1/4 cup dry. (About 1/2 cup cooked). Split peas 12 grams - 1/4 cup. Kidney beans have 13 grams -1/4 cup. The hummus is a great idea. It has additional protein from the tahini. You may also want to make your chickpeas as an Indian dish, you can find recipes for Chole, Kabli Chana, or mini chickpeas- Chana dal. You may want to eat your beans with tofu or cheese to vary the protein source at each meal. Also for non-vegans cottage cheese is high in protein and has lower calories than most cheeses and yogurt. This way you don't get sick of your meal. Also grains have protein, quinoa has 6 grams per 1/4 cup dry. Millet 5 grams per 1/4 cup, and brown rice 3 grams per 1/4 cup, so you can reduce the protein from the main source (beans, tofu, etc.). I am

finding it takes time to fine tune the new eating plan. I find that I am eating mostly protein at my meals, and have cut back on the rice, bread, etc. I have a question too. If I am on a reducing diet, can I calculate the grams of protein I need to eat based on my ideal weight, instead of current weight? Thanks, and Good Luck Deanna

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Deanna,

Gail posted a very nice response to your message. I want to welcome you to the

group.

Think about the healing this program can bring, this is huge. Kind of a funny

problem too

much to eat & it really works long term.

Feel free to ask away.

Glad your here.

Bob

, DVR2004 wrote:

>

>

>

> Hi Kiran and group:

>

>

> I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans.

>

> I am new to the group, maybe joined about a month ago. I thought it would

> be nice to communicate with fellow vegetarians about the new way of eating.

>

> Some beans have more protein. Lentils have 13 grams for 1/4 cup dry.

> (About 1/2 cup cooked). Split peas 12 grams - 1/4 cup. Kidney beans have 13

> grams -1/4 cup. The hummus is a great idea. It has additional protein from

the

> tahini.

>

> You may also want to make your chickpeas as an Indian dish, you can find

> recipes for Chole, Kabli Chana, or mini chickpeas- Chana dal. You may want

to

> eat your beans with tofu or cheese to vary the protein source at each meal.

> Also for non-vegans cottage cheese is high in protein and has lower calories

> than most cheeses and yogurt. This way you don't get sick of your meal.

>

> Also grains have protein, quinoa has 6 grams per 1/4 cup dry. Millet 5

> grams per 1/4 cup, and brown rice 3 grams per 1/4 cup, so you can reduce the

> protein from the main source (beans, tofu, etc.).

>

> I am finding it takes time to fine tune the new eating plan. I find that I

> am eating mostly protein at my meals, and have cut back on the rice, bread,

> etc.

>

> I have a question too. If I am on a reducing diet, can I calculate the

> grams of protein I need to eat based on my ideal weight, instead of current

> weight?

>

> Thanks, and Good Luck

>

> Deanna

>

thanks for the info. I am eating beans and have cut out the bread. result is that my sleepiness has disappeared as well. i take bread in evening with beans i'll share my progress with group kiranDVR2004 wrote: Hi Kiran and group: I find it difficult to eat the required beans-28 gms of proteins in beans. I am new to the group, maybe joined about a month ago. I thought it would be nice to communicate with fellow vegetarians about the new way of eating. Some beans have more protein. Lentils have 13 grams for 1/4 cup dry. (About 1/2 cup cooked). Split peas 12 grams - 1/4 cup. Kidney beans have 13 grams -1/4 cup. The hummus is a great idea. It has additional protein from the tahini. You may also want to make your chickpeas as an Indian dish, you can find recipes for Chole, Kabli Chana, or mini chickpeas- Chana dal. You may want to eat your beans with tofu or cheese to vary the protein source at each meal. Also for non-vegans cottage cheese is high in protein and has lower calories than most cheeses and yogurt. This way you don't get sick of

your meal. Also grains have protein, quinoa has 6 grams per 1/4 cup dry. Millet 5 grams per 1/4 cup, and brown rice 3 grams per 1/4 cup, so you can reduce the protein from the main source (beans, tofu, etc.). I am finding it takes time to fine tune the new eating plan. I find that I am eating mostly protein at my meals, and have cut back on the rice, bread, etc. I have a question too. If I am on a reducing diet, can I calculate the grams of protein I need to eat based on my ideal weight, instead of current weight? Thanks, and Good Luck Deanna

Find out what India is talking about on - Answers India Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW