I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein

to my breakfast mix.

I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if

you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment

(understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could

try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something

that will last in my flat <smile>

I need aprox. 30g.

I guess I just want to pick your brains.

Thanks for being here

judith

I make a tofu scramble that really holds me. I don't know the number of grams of protein off hand, though. I can't buy the veggie meats because they usually have things I shouldn't have, so I've been thinking of trying to make some of my own protein burgers. I have two recipes I haven't tried yet, one for black bean burgers and one used tempeh. I plan on making a big batch and freezing them for a quick meal. Heather

On Behalf Of JuSaturday, October 21, 2006 2:44 PM Subject: Breakfast protein

I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein to my breakfast mix.I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment (understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something that will last in my flat <smile>I need aprox. 30g.I guess I just want to pick your brains.Thanks for being herejudith

Judith,

Congradulation on starting the program & Welcome to the group.

I remember when first starting the program, used a very simple rule most of the

time. Ate

protein the size of my fist at every meal, which works. In terms of not spending

lots of

money there are many options. More often then not veggy proteins are less

expensive

then animal proteins. Cottage Cheese is good, if your overeating, you may wish

to simply

buy the small size rather then the large or bulk.

Let's see I'd buy the following, from a store that sells these foods mostly by

the pound

(tends to be less expensive). I have found it's difficult to overeat the foods

below except

for the almonds (but put them into smaller bags and only eat 1 bag at a time.

Precooking

none of these products even requires refergeration, could even take them

camping....

Protein Powder

Lentils - Dry Soak and Cook

Black Bean's - Dry Soak and Cook

Oatmeal Slow Cook- Large Container (Not a Protein, rather a friendly Brown)

Tuna - Portion cans, open, mix

Soybeans - Roasted, unsalted (my preference)

Almonds - Large Bag, break down into portions of 20-30 nuts, per bag.

This shopping list in the US would cost be apx $20-$25 depending on where I

purchased

if from.

Hope this helps,

Bob

, " Ju " <wetheundersigned wrote:

>

> I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein

> to my breakfast mix.

>

> I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if

> you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment

> (understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could

> try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something

> that will last in my flat <smile>

>

> I need aprox. 30g.

>

> I guess I just want to pick your brains.

>

> Thanks for being here

>

> judith

>

Hi Heather - What do you use in your tofu scramble? GailHeather and Jon Dillon <hjdillon wrote: I make a tofu scramble that really holds me. I don't know the number of grams of protein off hand, though. I can't buy the veggie meats because they usually have things I shouldn't have, so I've been thinking of trying to make some of my own protein burgers. I have two recipes I haven't tried yet, one for black bean burgers and one used tempeh. I plan on making a big batch and freezing them for a quick meal. Heather On Behalf Of JuSaturday, October 21, 2006 2:44 PM Subject: Breakfast protein I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein to my breakfast mix.I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment (understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something that will last in my flat <smile>I need aprox. 30g.I guess I just want to pick your brains.Thanks for being herejudith

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Gail,

I've been messing around with recipes to tailor one to suit my tastes. The most recent one was pretty good.

1 bell pepper, chopped

2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced thin

1 yellow onion, chopped

1 tsp salt

1 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp garlic

2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp tumeric

2 cloves garlic

1 lb tofu, crumbled

I like it, but something still wasn't quite right. I needed a little more something, some flavor I can't identify, lol. Anyone have any suggestions? One recipe suggested adding nutritional yeast and it made it creamy. Not sure I like the texture, though. I like a little spice, maybe the thyme is too gritty? I'll keep trying, like Bob said, I like eating my mistakes :)

Heather D.

On Behalf Of Gail ShapiroSunday, October 22, 2006 8:00 AM Subject: RE: Breakfast protein

Hi Heather -

What do you use in your tofu scramble?

GailHeather and Jon Dillon <hjdillon (AT) msn (DOT) com> wrote:

I make a tofu scramble that really holds me. I don't know the number of grams of protein off hand, though. I can't buy the veggie meats because they usually have things I shouldn't have, so I've been thinking of trying to make some of my own protein burgers. I have two recipes I haven't tried yet, one for black bean burgers and one used tempeh. I plan on making a big batch and freezing them for a quick meal. Heather

On Behalf Of JuSaturday, October 21, 2006 2:44 PM Subject: Breakfast protein

I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein to my breakfast mix.I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment (understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something that will last in my flat <smile>I need aprox. 30g.I guess I just want to pick your brains.Thanks for being herejudith

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Hi Heather, Sounds great! Try adding a finely chopped fresh tomato... GailHeather and Jon Dillon <hjdillon wrote: Gail, I've been messing around with recipes to tailor one to suit my tastes. The most recent one was pretty good. 1 bell pepper, chopped 2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced thin 1 yellow onion, chopped 1 tsp salt 1 tsp thyme 1/2 tsp garlic 2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp tumeric 2 cloves garlic 1 lb tofu, crumbled I like it, but something still wasn't quite right. I needed a little more something, some flavor I can't identify, lol. Anyone have any suggestions? One recipe suggested adding nutritional yeast and it made it creamy. Not sure I like the texture, though. I like a little spice, maybe the thyme is too gritty? I'll keep trying, like Bob said, I like eating my mistakes

:) Heather D. On Behalf Of Gail ShapiroSunday, October 22, 2006 8:00 AM Subject: RE: Breakfast protein Hi Heather - What do you use in your tofu scramble? GailHeather and Jon Dillon <hjdillon (AT) msn (DOT) com> wrote: I make a tofu scramble that really holds me. I don't know the number of grams of protein off hand, though. I can't buy the veggie meats because they usually have things I shouldn't have, so I've been thinking of trying to make some of my own protein burgers. I have two recipes I haven't tried yet, one for black bean burgers and one used tempeh. I plan on making a big batch and freezing them for a quick meal. Heather On Behalf Of JuSaturday, October 21, 2006 2:44 PM Subject: Breakfast

protein I am just at the begining of breakfast.... so am just adding protein to my breakfast mix.I was just wondering how you all get the right amount of protein in if you don't use protein powders. Money is tight at the moment (understaement!) and so am looking for cheap sources. I guess I could try cottage cheese but tend to overeat the stuff. I need something that will last in my flat <smile>I need aprox. 30g.I guess I just want to pick your brains.Thanks for being herejudith Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small

Business.

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Hi All,

Just wanted to share that I have found balance in my protein shake. I use1/2 hemp protein, and 1/2 soy protein per shake. When I tried all hemp, I did not like it. It settles very well, I do not taste it while it is digesting. After I use the soy protein powder up, I will try the rice protein. I also use a tsp. of carob powder and a sprinkle of pure stevia, 1/2 banana,and roughly a cup of kefir, it is tasty. I also eat a bowl of veggies (sweet potato, and greens) then have the protein shake. It feels good and holds me until lunch. Hemp seeds and protein are supposed to have a lot of nutrients. Best wishes with your RR. ~Deanna

Deanna,

Glad your dialing into balance. BTW after step, 5 stevia = GTG. I have not

tried Hemp

Protein Powder or seeds yet, may someday...

Smile,

Bob

, DVR2004 wrote:

>

> Hi All,

>

> Just wanted to share that I have found balance in my protein shake. I

> use1/2 hemp protein, and 1/2 soy protein per shake. When I tried all hemp, I

did

> not like it. It settles very well, I do not taste it while it is digesting.

> After I use the soy protein powder up, I will try the rice protein. I also

> use a tsp. of carob powder and a sprinkle of pure stevia, 1/2 banana,and

> roughly a cup of kefir, it is tasty. I also eat a bowl of veggies (sweet

potato,

> and greens) then have the protein shake. It feels good and holds me until

> lunch. Hemp seeds and protein are supposed to have a lot of nutrients. Best

> wishes with your RR. ~Deanna

>

Deanna,Glad your dialing into balance. BTW after step, 5 stevia = GTG. I have not tried Hemp Protein Powder or seeds yet, may someday...Smile, Bob

Hi Bob,

Not sure what BTW and GTG mean. I have not had any cravings due to stevia. As long as I don't have cravings and it is not triggering depression than it seems like an okay sweetener. Is that right? I could used soaked raisins or dates. But they have more calories, and have very consentrated sugars, and stevia seems to work, when needed. And I do not know what you mean about step 5, I have been eating only complex carbs, it also helps to reduce weight.

You are an attentive moderator. How come in the emails, some postings comes up, over and over in a single email. I thought we were just supposed to include the sentence were are responding to, it is tiring having to scroll through the same posting over and over, to find a new response/posting.

Thanks for being the moderator and keeping Radiant Vegetarians active and alive.

~Deanna