IndiaDivine.org

How to count beans, eggs and protein bread

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs?

5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I

homeschool. They do the program with me.

To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more

vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in

some foods:

Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?

Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?

Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein

bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per

slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?

Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little

because I am confused about these things.

Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?

Thank you so much.

-Lynn

I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein? Thanks again. -Lynnnewsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote: Hi, I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I homeschool. They do the program with

me.To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in some foods:Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little because I am confused about these things.Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?Thank you so much.-Lynn

The protein is  split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk.KathleenOn Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote: I just wanted to clarify the egg question.  OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg.  Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?   Thanks again.   -Lynnnewsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote: Hi, I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I homeschool. They do the program with me.To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in some foods:Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little because I am confused about these things.Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?Thank you so much.-Lynn Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone

Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly. -LynnKathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote: The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. Kathleen On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote: I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all

the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein? Thanks again. -Lynnnewsong02000 <newsong02000 > wrote: Hi, I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I homeschool. They do the program with me.To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in some foods:Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g

of protein per slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little because I am confused about these things.Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?Thank you so much.-Lynn Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D. This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone

Lynn,

I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I

have 6

meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal

it's at least

$7-10. I really like making my food.

Enjoy,

Bob

, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

>

> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.

>

> -Lynn

>

> Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:

> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk.

>

> Kathleen

> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:

>

> I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the

egg whites

contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk

and all - to get

all 6g of protein?

>

> Thanks again.

>

> -Lynn

>

> newsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs?

> 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I

> homeschool. They do the program with me.

>

> To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more

> vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in

> some foods:

>

> Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?

>

> Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?

>

> Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein

> bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per

> slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?

>

> Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little

> because I am confused about these things.

>

> Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?

>

> Thank you so much.

>

> -Lynn

Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.

>

>

> This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone

>

Hi, Bob, May I ask what you made for your veggy lunches? I could use some new ideas. And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for lunch, can I count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown with that then I would go into carb overload. Thanks for the help. -Lynn Bob <yogabob7 wrote: Lynn,I just made my

veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?> > Thanks again.> >

-Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.> > Also, does this group enjoy

sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone>

Lynn, you can't count the beans as both a protein and a brown. So if the amount of beans you are eating is the amount you need for your protein, you'd either have to add more beans for your brown, or another brown.

Allison

Lynn Kahl Feb 26, 2007 4:41 AM Re: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread

Hi, Bob,

May I ask what you made for your veggy lunches? I could use some new ideas.

And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for lunch, can I count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown with that then I would go into carb overload.

Thanks for the help.

-Lynn

Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

Lynn,I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?> > Thanks again.> > -Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.> > Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone>

Thank you, Allison. I didn't know that. Can you tell me how much more of a brown I would have to eat? Would 1/2 c brown rice work? Or, 1 slice of whole grain bread? -Lynnalschacht wrote: Lynn, you can't count the beans as both a protein and a brown. So if the amount of beans you are eating is the amount you need for your protein, you'd either have to add more beans for your brown, or another brown. Allison Lynn Kahl Feb 26, 2007 4:41 AM Re: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread Hi, Bob, May I ask what you made for your veggy lunches? I could use some new ideas. And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for lunch, can I count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown with that then I would go into carb overload. Thanks for the help. -Lynn Bob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote: Lynn,I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?> > Thanks

again.> > -Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.> >

Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone>

That probably wouldn't be enough for me. When I use bread as a brown, I usually have 2 slices, and if I have brown rice, I have 2/3 cup or more.

I very seldom use beans as my primary protein source. I usually add some cheese or tofu or TVP, some kind of denser protein source.

However, I am not a vegetarian, I am just someone who eats some meat free meals. Someone who eats a vegetarian diet all the time can probably tell you better.

Allison

Lynn Kahl Feb 26, 2007 7:24 AM Re: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread

Thank you, Allison. I didn't know that.

Can you tell me how much more of a brown I would have to eat? Would 1/2 c brown rice work? Or, 1 slice of whole grain bread?

-Lynnalschacht wrote:

Lynn, you can't count the beans as both a protein and a brown. So if the amount of beans you are eating is the amount you need for your protein, you'd either have to add more beans for your brown, or another brown.

Allison

Lynn Kahl Feb 26, 2007 4:41 AM Re: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread

Hi, Bob,

And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for lunch, can I count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown with that then I would go into carb overload.

Thanks for the help.

-Lynn

Bob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote:

Lynn,I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?> > Thanks again.> > -Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000 wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.> > Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone>

Lynn,

What I'm having for lunch this week is a small spinach salad, wild brown rice,

Lentils, &

garbano beans. I count the lentils as my protein and wild rice as my brown...

Hope that helps.

Bob

, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

>

> Hi, Bob,

>

> May I ask what you made for your veggy lunches? I could use some new ideas.

>

> And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for

lunch, can I

count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown

with that

then I would go into carb overload.

>

> Thanks for the help.

>

> -Lynn

>

> Bob <yogabob7 wrote:

> Lynn,

>

> I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I

have 6

> meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal

it's at least

> $7-10. I really like making my food.

>

> Enjoy,

>

> Bob

>

> , Lynn Kahl <newsong02000@> wrote:

> >

> > Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.

> >

> > -Lynn

> >

> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd@> wrote:

> > The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk.

> >

> > Kathleen

> > On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:

> >

> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg

whites

> contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk

and all - to

get

> all 6g of protein?

> >

> > Thanks again.

> >

> > -Lynn

> >

> > newsong02000 <newsong02000@> wrote:

> > Hi,

> >

> > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs?

> > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I

> > homeschool. They do the program with me.

> >

> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more

> > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in

> > some foods:

> >

> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?

> >

> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?

> >

> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein

> > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per

> > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?

> >

> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little

> > because I am confused about these things.

> >

> > Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?

> >

> > Thank you so much.

> >

> > -Lynn

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.

> >

> >

> > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone

> >

>

Hi Lynn,

I suggest you experiment to see what your body needs for your meal to last 5-6 hours. There is no set answer or formula, there's only what works for you and your body.

When I started this program, I focused a lot on getting the right amount of protein, and the browns were an afterthought. Somewhere along step 7 I really tuned in to how much better my body feels when I get enough browns: more than what I had been eating. I say this by way of encouraging you to not be stingy with your browns. :-)

I'm interested to know what you mean by "carb overload." Are you saying your body reacts a certain way if you have "too many" complex carbohydrates?

Blessings,

Sharon in CA

Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:24:24 AMRe: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread

Thank you, Allison. I didn't know that.

Can you tell me how much more of a brown I would have to eat? Would 1/2 c brown rice work? Or, 1 slice of whole grain bread?

-Lynnalschacht@earthlink .net wrote:

Allison

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the help.

-Lynn

Bob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote:

Lynn,I just made my veggy lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000@ ...> wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd@. ..> wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?>

> Thanks again.> > -Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000@ ...> wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.>

> Also, does this group enjoy sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone>

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

Hi, Sharon, Thank you for your reply. I think I'll have to experiment also with how much brown I need. What I meant by carb overload was that overly full, uncomfortable, drowsy feeling associated with eating too much - especially carbs. But, I ate a slice of Ezekiel bread with my almost 2c. of white bean salad for supper, and realized I didn't have that feeling. I actually felt pretty good! I also ate some broccoli with that. It was a lot of food, but I didn't feel stuffed. I think I might be getting the hang of doing the program vegetarian. Thanks again, Lynn Sharon Wylie <swylie2002 wrote: Hi Lynn, I suggest you experiment to see what your body needs for your meal to last 5-6 hours. There is no set answer or formula, there's only what works for you and your body. When I started

this program, I focused a lot on getting the right amount of protein, and the browns were an afterthought. Somewhere along step 7 I really tuned in to how much better my body feels when I get enough browns: more than what I had been eating. I say this by way of encouraging you to not be stingy with your browns. :-) I'm interested to know what you mean by "carb overload." Are you saying your body reacts a certain way if you have "too many" complex carbohydrates? Blessings, Sharon in CA Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:24:24 AMRe: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread Thank you, Allison. I didn't know that. Can you tell me how much more of a brown I would have to eat? Would 1/2 c brown rice work? Or, 1 slice of whole grain bread? -Lynnalschacht@earthlink .net wrote: Lynn, you can't count the beans as both a protein and a brown. So if the amount of beans you are eating is the amount you need for your protein, you'd either have to add more beans for your

brown, or another brown. Allison Lynn Kahl Feb 26, 2007 4:41 AM Re: Re: How to count beans, eggs and protein bread Hi, Bob, May I ask what you made for your veggy lunches? I could use some new ideas. And, by the way, if I eat a bowl of pinto beans (1 1/2 c.) and salsa for lunch, can I count the beans as my protein and a brown? I am afraid that if I ate a brown with that then I would go into carb overload. Thanks for the help. -Lynn Bob <yogabob7 (AT) adelphia (DOT) net> wrote: Lynn,I just made my veggy

lunches for the week. It's amazing to me that for $6.25 I have 6 meals for the week, balanced in protein and browns. If I go out for one meal it's at least $7-10. I really like making my food.Enjoy,Bob, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000@ ...> wrote:>> Thank you. I will adjust my eating accordingly.> > -Lynn> > Kathleen DesMaisons <radiantkd@. ..> wrote:> The protein is split equally. The nutrients are all in the yolk. > > Kathleen> On Feb 24, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Lynn Kahl wrote:> > I just wanted to clarify the egg question. OK, I always thought that the egg whites contained all the protein in the egg. Do I have to eat the entire egg - yolk and all - to get all 6g of protein?> > Thanks again.> >

-Lynn> > newsong02000 <newsong02000@ ...> wrote:> Hi, > > I'm Lynn. I've been doing this program for a long time (4yrs? > 5yrs?). I am a single mom with 3 school age children that I > homeschool. They do the program with me.> > To offset my burgeoning food bill, I've started eating more > vegetarian. I have some questions about how to count protein in > some foods:> > Beans - can I count them as protein AND a brown?> > Eggs - do egg whites have less protein than the entire egg?> > Ezekiel bread - Does anyone here eat this? It is a high protein > bread with lentils and soybeans in it. It is 4 g of protein per > slice. Can I count any of this as my protein?> > Thank you for helping me. I think my food may have slipped a little > because I am confused about these things.> > Also, does this group enjoy

sharing recipes?> > Thank you so much.> > -Lynn > > > > > > > Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D.> > > This is Grace Unfolding, we are not alone> Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.