IndiaDivine.org

Needing some dinner ideas!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello!

I joined this list a while back but never posted.

Then because of all the other lists I was on, became

overwhelmed and took myself off this list. I'm back

wanting to find some dinner ideas that are more

vegetarian for my protein needs. I'm not vegetarian

completely but feel better when I eat a vegetarian

dinner as it is easier to digest.

I need a lot of protein so do the vegetarian burgers

work for people or not? Some have brown rice and

oatmeal added to them so can that count as a brown? I

can add cheese and such to make up the protein but the

ones I have seen have some sort of sugars in them.

Does anyone use a certain brand that works good and

where are they purchased?

I have a Coop in my area but not a whole

foods(although we are getting one in 2008...yay!).

Costco carries a gardenburger that I love the taste

of, just don't know if I can have it once I'm through

the steps...on steps 2/3 at the moment, tightening up.

I've seen others with no sugars but the texture isn't

as nice for me.

I understand that Kathleen doesn't recommend too much

soy unless they are in menopause so I'm not sure if

that limits me...I am in premenopause. I'm also on a

fairly tight budget and I'm hoping to learn how to do

the food on a budget in a day or two with the class.

I think I would have to eat an awful lot of beans and

rice to equal the protein amount so I'm not sure that

is doable.

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

Warm regards,

Terri F

______________________________\

____

Never miss an email again!

Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.

http://tools.search./toolbar/features/mail/

Guest guest

Hi, Terri, Welcome to the list. I am fairly new here, too, but I have a few ideas for you. First, since you like the idea of the garden burgers, go with the one you like best - regardless of the sugar content because you do not need to start thinking about taking out the sugar until Step 7. Eat food you enjoy. If you like the Costo burgers, buy those and put cheese on them to boost the protein content. Even if the garden burgers have oatmeal in them, it would not be much, so you would need to eat a brown with that. I can totally relate to how you feel better when you eat more vegetarian. I like to eat beans because they are cheap, convenient and versatile. They also are very filling and a good source of fiber. When I eat beans as my protein, I eat almost 2 c. to get my 24 g of protein. Add a brown and a green to that,

and that is a lot of food! It's great! And, I am not gaining weight. I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it. Here is one meal option that jumped to mind when reading you post. I got this idea from this fun restaurant in Portland, OR call The Laughing Planet. Put some brown rice (1/2c - 1c. whatever you need) in the bottom of large bowl, A pasta bowl works well. Put some beans on top of that. 1 c. of beans (such as black beans or pinto beans) has 12 g of protein. To boost the protein content, you can put some cooked chopped chicken or some cooked ground beef on top of the beans. Sometimes I like to put some grilled vegetables on top of that. ( Trader Joe's makes a good

frozen red/green/yellow pepper blend called 'Melange a Trois' that you can roast in the oven.) Then put some shredded cheddar cheese on top of that (1/4 c of shredded cheese has 6 g of protein), and microwave for a minute or so until hot. Top with some salsa, if you want, and that is a cheap and easy meal. You can make large quantities of the indgredients ahead of time and store them in the fridge, so you can get multiple meals from it. Let us know how things are going! -Lynn Terri Fast <jrfast3 wrote: Hello!I joined this list a while back but never posted. Then because of all the other lists I was on, becameoverwhelmed and took myself off this list. I'm backwanting to find some dinner ideas that are morevegetarian for my protein needs. I'm not vegetariancompletely but feel better when I eat a vegetarian dinner as it is easier to digest. I need a lot of protein so do the vegetarian burgerswork for people or not? Some have brown rice andoatmeal added to them so can that count as a brown? Ican add cheese and such to make up the protein but theones I have seen have some sort of sugars in them. Does anyone use a certain brand that works good andwhere are they purchased? I have a Coop in my area but not a

wholefoods(although we are getting one in 2008...yay!). Costco carries a gardenburger that I love the tasteof, just don't know if I can have it once I'm throughthe steps...on steps 2/3 at the moment, tightening up.I've seen others with no sugars but the texture isn'tas nice for me.I understand that Kathleen doesn't recommend too muchsoy unless they are in menopause so I'm not sure ifthat limits me...I am in premenopause. I'm also on afairly tight budget and I'm hoping to learn how to dothe food on a budget in a day or two with the class.I think I would have to eat an awful lot of beans andrice to equal the protein amount so I'm not sure thatis doable.Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.Warm regards,Terri F________Never miss an email again! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail

arrives.http://tools.search./toolbar/features/mail/

Guest guest

Lynn,

I am always interested in learning ways to " drastically " reduce the gas problem

in beans! Do post it please,

Lucinda

---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If

you are interested., let me know, and I will post it.

Guest guest

Hi Terri!

I'm like you; I'm not a vegetarian but feel that my stomach doesn't

always want a lot of meat.

One of my favorite vegetarian foods is quinoa. Have you tried it?

It's a seed that you boil for about 15 minutes. It has so much

protein I sometimes use it as my protein and have beans for browns!

I also like to cook quinoa and red lentils together to make it taste

more. My favorite vegetarian meal is oven-baked zucchini with

quinoa. I make it like this:

Slice zucchini/squash and fry for a few minutes. Put in an oven pan

with some chopped or sliced tomato (or any other veggie you like).

Mix feta cheese with some cream (I've used cottage cheese too),

garlic and fresh basil until you get a runny paste. Put this over

the veggies and bake in oven for about 20-30 minues. Cook quinoa

with some red or yellow lentils (they will be your brown) for 15

minutes, add salt and pepper and maybe a little butter if you want.

I sometimes eat this with bacon, but usually quinoa and cheese

covers my need for protein.

Lisa

, Terri Fast <jrfast3

wrote:

>

> Hello!

>

> I joined this list a while back but never posted.

> Then because of all the other lists I was on, became

> overwhelmed and took myself off this list. I'm back

> wanting to find some dinner ideas that are more

> vegetarian for my protein needs. I'm not vegetarian

> completely but feel better when I eat a vegetarian

> dinner as it is easier to digest.

>

> I need a lot of protein so do the vegetarian burgers

> work for people or not? Some have brown rice and

> oatmeal added to them so can that count as a brown? I

> can add cheese and such to make up the protein but the

> ones I have seen have some sort of sugars in them.

> Does anyone use a certain brand that works good and

> where are they purchased?

>

> I have a Coop in my area but not a whole

> foods(although we are getting one in 2008...yay!).

> Costco carries a gardenburger that I love the taste

> of, just don't know if I can have it once I'm through

> the steps...on steps 2/3 at the moment, tightening up.

> I've seen others with no sugars but the texture isn't

> as nice for me.

>

> I understand that Kathleen doesn't recommend too much

> soy unless they are in menopause so I'm not sure if

> that limits me...I am in premenopause. I'm also on a

> fairly tight budget and I'm hoping to learn how to do

> the food on a budget in a day or two with the class.

> I think I would have to eat an awful lot of beans and

> rice to equal the protein amount so I'm not sure that

> is doable.

>

> Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

>

> Warm regards,

> Terri F

>

>

>

>

> Never miss an email again!

> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.

> http://tools.search./toolbar/features/mail/

>

Guest guest

Hi Terri,

I'm new to the veg list myself and not a vegetarian

anymore either, just tired of meat and wanting to

include more veg options. My own personal favorite it

a large baked potato with veg chili, cheese, and

cottage cheese on it. :-) 1 cup chili is about 12g

protein and 1 cup cottage cheese is about 21g, then a

oz. of cheese for 7 and you're up to 40. The trick is

finding chili with no msg. Best bet is to make your

own. And the potato with skin is a brown, of course.

My other plan is to mix Restore into other veg

recipes, like mac n cheese or cream sauces over pasta,

using ww pasta, of course.

Namaste,

Satina

--- Terri Fast <jrfast3 wrote:

> Hello!

>

> I joined this list a while back but never posted.

> Then because of all the other lists I was on, became

> overwhelmed and took myself off this list. I'm back

> wanting to find some dinner ideas that are more

> vegetarian for my protein needs. I'm not vegetarian

> completely but feel better when I eat a vegetarian

> dinner as it is easier to digest.

>

> I need a lot of protein so do the vegetarian burgers

> work for people or not? Some have brown rice and

> oatmeal added to them so can that count as a brown?

> I

> can add cheese and such to make up the protein but

> the

> ones I have seen have some sort of sugars in them.

> Does anyone use a certain brand that works good and

> where are they purchased?

>

> I have a Coop in my area but not a whole

> foods(although we are getting one in 2008...yay!).

> Costco carries a gardenburger that I love the taste

> of, just don't know if I can have it once I'm

> through

> the steps...on steps 2/3 at the moment, tightening

> up.

> I've seen others with no sugars but the texture

> isn't

> as nice for me.

>

> I understand that Kathleen doesn't recommend too

> much

> soy unless they are in menopause so I'm not sure if

> that limits me...I am in premenopause. I'm also on

> a

> fairly tight budget and I'm hoping to learn how to

> do

> the food on a budget in a day or two with the class.

> I think I would have to eat an awful lot of beans

> and

> rice to equal the protein amount so I'm not sure

> that

> is doable.

>

> Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.

>

> Warm regards,

> Terri F

>

>

>

>

____

> Never miss an email again!

> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail

> arrives.

> http://tools.search./toolbar/features/mail/

>

____

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

http://searchmarketing./arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

Guest guest

Hi, Another way to reduce gases and increase nutrients is sprouting the beans. Follow the soaking steps to reduce gas. Then spread a towel on a flat pan, an put the soaked beans. Rinse your beans twice a day until tails start to grow. The cooking time is reduced and the beans have a different texture, but virtually no gasy build up.

Peace Blessing & Joy (PB & J)

DeannaAOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Hi, everyone, Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It is basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the substance that causes the gas. Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot water. Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for an hour. Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a bit, so I ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot well, too. Return the beans to the pot, fill with cold water, and let it soak again at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh water and cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no

hardness or grittiness remains because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas. Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5 days, or frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed beans work great for refried beans or a bean dip. Let me know if you have any questions. -Lynn Lucinda <lucindabush wrote: Lynn,I am always interested in learning ways to "drastically" reduce the gas problem in beans! Do post it please,Lucinda---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it.

Guest guest

Plus, when your body is used to them, gas is no longer any problem! Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote: Hi, everyone, Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It is basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the substance that causes the gas. Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot water. Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for an hour. Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a bit, so I ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot well, too. Return the beans to the pot,

fill with cold water, and let it soak again at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh water and cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no hardness or grittiness remains because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas. Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5 days, or frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed beans work great for refried beans or a bean dip. Let me know if you have any questions. -Lynn Lucinda <lucindabush wrote: Lynn,I

am always interested in learning ways to "drastically" reduce the gas problem in beans! Do post it please,Lucinda---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it.

The fish are biting.

Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

Guest guest

Easy cashew chili: Start with a base of your own homemade marinara sauce (I do this once a month and freeze for easy meals on busy nights). (or, if you are in a hurry, you can simply use canned tomatoes). Saute up some onions and garlic and peppers if you like them (you also can skip this step if your sauce already contains these vegetables, I like to get in as many vegetables as possible), add a cup or more of raw cashews (buy these in bulk, you can use the broken pieces, they are less expensive than whole), and stir with cayenne pepper to taste. Add in some pre-cooked kidney beans or black beans (I also keep these in pints in the freezer, or you can use canned, drained beans, but rinse to remove extra sodium used in packaging.) Add your marinara sauce (or canned tomato), and if you use processed foods, you also can throw in a package of Morningstar Farms grillers

crumbles (I am not fond of this; it tastes like what I remember meat tastes like) for more protein. Simmer and serve over whole wheat noodles, or brown rice, or any cooked grain, with a green salad. Variations: you also can throw in some fresh or frozen corn and/or top with grated regular or soy cheese Satina <dharmaworker wrote: Hi Terri,I'm new to the veg list myself and not a vegetariananymore either, just tired of meat and wanting toinclude more veg options. My own personal favorite ita large baked potato with veg chili, cheese, andcottage cheese on it. :-) 1 cup chili is about 12gprotein and 1 cup cottage cheese is about 21g, then aoz. of cheese for 7 and you're up to 40. The trick isfinding chili with no msg. Best

bet is to make yourown. And the potato with skin is a brown, of course. My other plan is to mix Restore into other vegrecipes, like mac n cheese or cream sauces over pasta,using ww pasta, of course.Namaste,Satina--- Terri Fast wrote:> Hello!> > I joined this list a while back but never posted. > Then because of all the other lists I was on, became> overwhelmed and took myself off this list. I'm back> wanting to find some dinner ideas that are more> vegetarian for my protein needs. I'm not vegetarian> completely but feel better when I eat a vegetarian > dinner as it is easier to digest. > > I need a lot of protein so do the vegetarian burgers> work for people or not? Some have brown rice and> oatmeal added to them so can that count as a brown? > I> can add cheese and such to make up the protein

but> the> ones I have seen have some sort of sugars in them. > Does anyone use a certain brand that works good and> where are they purchased? > > I have a Coop in my area but not a whole> foods(although we are getting one in 2008...yay!). > Costco carries a gardenburger that I love the taste> of, just don't know if I can have it once I'm> through> the steps...on steps 2/3 at the moment, tightening> up.> I've seen others with no sugars but the texture> isn't> as nice for me.> > I understand that Kathleen doesn't recommend too> much> soy unless they are in menopause so I'm not sure if> that limits me...I am in premenopause. I'm also on> a> fairly tight budget and I'm hoping to learn how to> do> the food on a budget in a day or two with the class.> I think I would have to eat an awful lot of

beans> and> rice to equal the protein amount so I'm not sure> that> is doable.> > Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas.> > Warm regards,> Terri F> > > >> Never miss an email again!> Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail> arrives.> http://tools.search./toolbar/features/mail/> The fish are biting. Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.http://searchmarketing./arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

Guest guest

Actually, I haven't found that to be true. In fact, I never used to have issues with beans, but now, if I eat beans too often, I have a lot of distress. I have better luck with beans I have cooked myself. I soak them in hot water, then rinse well before cooking. But I still have to be careful about how often I eat beans.

Allison

Gail Shapiro Mar 8, 2007 8:09 AM Re: Needing some dinner ideas!

Plus, when your body is used to them, gas is no longer any problem!

Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

Hi, everyone,

Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It is basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the substance that causes the gas.

Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot water. Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for an hour.

Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a bit, so I ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot well, too. Return the beans to the pot, fill with cold water, and let it soak again at least 4 hours or overnight.

Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh water and cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no hardness or grittiness remains because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas.

Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5 days, or frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed beans work great for refried beans or a bean dip.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Lynn

Lucinda <lucindabush wrote:

Lynn,I am always interested in learning ways to "drastically" reduce the gas problem in beans! Do post it please,Lucinda---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it.

The fish are biting.Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

Guest guest

Guess I'm just lucky then! (or, my roommates are :) )alschacht wrote: Actually, I haven't found that to be true. In fact, I never used to have issues with beans, but now, if I eat beans too often, I have a lot of distress. I have better luck with beans I have cooked myself. I soak them in hot water, then rinse well before cooking. But I still have to be careful about how often I eat beans. Allison Gail Shapiro Mar 8, 2007 8:09

AM Re: Needing some dinner ideas! Plus, when your body is used to them, gas is no longer any problem! Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote: Hi, everyone, Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It is basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the substance that causes the gas. Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot water. Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for an hour. Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a

bit, so I ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot well, too. Return the beans to the pot, fill with cold water, and let it soak again at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh water and cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no hardness or grittiness remains because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas. Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5 days, or frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed beans work great for refried beans or a bean dip. Let me know if you have any questions. -Lynn Lucinda <lucindabush wrote: Lynn,I am always interested in learning ways to "drastically" reduce the gas problem in beans! Do post it please,Lucinda---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it. The fish are biting.Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Small Business.

Guest guest

I have read that if you aren't getting a lot of fiber in your diet, and then you eat a lot of beans which are a high source of fiber, it takes awhile for your body to adjust to all the fiber. Also, I have noticed that it's not always the beans that upset my stomach, but sometimes it's all the spices and onions that are the culprit. -Lynnalschacht wrote: Actually, I haven't found that to be true. In fact, I never used to have

issues with beans, but now, if I eat beans too often, I have a lot of distress. I have better luck with beans I have cooked myself. I soak them in hot water, then rinse well before cooking. But I still have to be careful about how often I eat beans. Allison Gail Shapiro Mar 8, 2007 8:09 AM Re: Needing some dinner ideas! Plus, when your body is used to them, gas is no longer any problem! Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: Hi, everyone, Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It

is basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the substance that causes the gas. Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot water. Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for an hour. Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a bit, so I ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot well, too. Return the beans to the pot, fill with cold water, and let it soak again at least 4 hours or overnight. Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh water and cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no hardness or grittiness remains because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas. Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5 days, or frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed beans work great for refried beans or a bean dip. Let me know if you have any questions. -Lynn Lucinda <lucindabush (AT) cox (DOT) net> wrote: Lynn,I am always interested in learning ways to "drastically" reduce the gas problem in beans! Do post it please,Lucinda---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 > wrote: I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If you are interested., let me know, and I will post it. The fish are biting.Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

Guest guest

If things upset one's stomach, then mix things up a little, keep listening and

journaling...

Smile,

Bob

, Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

>

> I have read that if you aren't getting a lot of fiber in your diet, and then

you eat a lot of

beans which are a high source of fiber, it takes awhile for your body to adjust

to all the

fiber.

>

> Also, I have noticed that it's not always the beans that upset my stomach,

but

sometimes it's all the spices and onions that are the culprit.

>

> -Lynn

>

>

> alschacht wrote:

> Actually, I haven't found that to be true. In fact, I never used

to have issues with

beans, but now, if I eat beans too often, I have a lot of distress. I have

better luck with

beans I have cooked myself. I soak them in hot water, then rinse well before

cooking. But

I still have to be careful about how often I eat beans.

> Allison

>

>

> Gail Shapiro

> Mar 8, 2007 8:09 AM

>

> Re: Needing some dinner ideas!

>

> Plus, when your body is used to them, gas is no longer any problem!

>

>

> Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

> Hi, everyone,

>

> Here is how I cook beans to reduce the gas problem as much as possible. It

is

basically soaking the beans twice before cooking. Soaking will leach out the

substance

that causes the gas.

>

> Rinse beans under running water. Add to a big pot and fill 3/4 way with hot

water.

Bring to a boil, and let it boil 2 mins. Then, turn off heat and let it sit for

an hour.

>

> Rinse beans again under running water. They will have expanded quite a bit,

so I

ususally rinse them in batches - maybe 2 or 3 c. at a time. Rinse out the pot

well, too.

Return the beans to the pot, fill with cold water, and let it soak again at

least 4 hours or

overnight.

>

> Rinse again in batches and rinse out pot. Put beans back in pot with fresh

water and

cook until they are soft. Make sure you cook them until no hardness or

grittiness remains

because undercooked beans are hard to digest and will produce gas.

>

> Rinse the beans well after cooking. Unused portions can be refrigerated 4-5

days, or

frozen. I have found that freezing causes the beans to get mushy, so thawed

beans work

great for refried beans or a bean dip.

>

> Let me know if you have any questions.

>

> -Lynn

>

>

>

> Lucinda <lucindabush wrote:

> Lynn,

> I am always interested in learning ways to " drastically " reduce the gas

problem in beans!

Do post it please,

> Lucinda

>

> ---- Lynn Kahl <newsong02000 wrote:

> I can telll you how to cook beans to drastically reduce the gas problem. If

you are

interested., let me know, and I will post it.

> The fish are biting.

> Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

>