IndiaDivine.org

Beefy Seitan Roast

Rate this topic

Guest guest

* Exported from MasterCook *Beefy Seitan RoastRecipe By : The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook, by Grogan, page 173Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00Categories : Main Dishes, VegetarianAmount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method-------- ------------ --------------------------------***GLUTEN MIXTURE***2 cups instant gluten powder(vital wheat gluten)2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes1 teaspoon onion powder1/2 teaspoon garlic granulesblack pepper -- to taste***BROTH***1 1/2 cups cold waterOR broth from soaking Chinese driedmushrooms2 tablespoons ketchup2 tablespoons soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce2 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extractOR dark miso2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet***COOKING BROTH***4 cups water or brothfrom soaking dried Chinese mushrooms1/4 cup ketchup1/4 cup soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce4 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extractOR dark miso4 teaspoons Kitchen BouquetServes 6 to 8This is excellent hot or sliced cold for sandwiches. Make the whole recipe and use the leftovers for sandwiches, or grind some in a meat grinder or food processor for "hamburger." Cut some of it into strips for stir-fries and stroganoff, and/or cut thicker slices for "steaks" or "cutlets" to pan fry, grill, or broil (with or without a breading and with or without a salt-free grilling sauce, barbecue sauce, or marinade). Use the leftover cooking broth to enhance sauces.In a dry bowl, mix the gluten powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic, and black pepper together. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the first batch of cold water or mushroom broth, ketchup, soy sauce, yeast extract, and Kitchen Bouquet.Pour the broth into the gluten mixture, and mix it into a ball. Place the ball into a roasting pan with a cover large enough to allow the ball to double (press the ball down to flatten a bit).Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a cooking broth made by mixing together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the gluten ball, and bake uncovered for 1/2 hour. Prick the roast all over with a fork, and turn it over. Lower heat to 300F and bake covered for 1 more hour, turning once in a while.Slow-Cooker Method: Cook in a slow-cooker on HIGH for 10 hours.Per serving: Calories: 181, Protein: 34 gm, Fat: 1 gm, Carbohydrates: 9 gm.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi all and Happy Holidays

I like gluten or seitan. Where do you get this instant gluten

powder? I can get gluten already made at Asian markets and would I

just add the nutritional yeast, onion flakes, garlic and pepper to the

broth?

Barbara

At 03:27 PM 12/23/01 -0800, you wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beefy Seitan Roast

Recipe By : The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook, by Grogan, page

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Main Dishes, Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

***GLUTEN MIXTURE***

2 cups instant gluten powder

(vital wheat gluten)

2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic granules

black pepper -- to taste

***BROTH***

1 1/2 cups cold water

OR broth from soaking Chinese dried

mushrooms

2 tablespoons ketchup

2 tablespoons soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce

2 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extract

OR dark miso

2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet

***COOKING BROTH***

4 cups water or broth

from soaking dried Chinese mushrooms

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce

4 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extract

OR dark miso

4 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet

Serves 6 to 8

This is excellent hot or sliced cold for sandwiches. Make the whole

recipe and use the leftovers for sandwiches, or grind some in a meat grinder

or food processor for " hamburger. " Cut some of it into strips

for stir-fries and stroganoff, and/or cut thicker slices for " steaks " or

" cutlets " to pan fry, grill, or broil (with or without a breading and with or without

a salt-free grilling sauce, barbecue sauce, or marinade). Use the

leftover cooking broth to enhance sauces.

In a dry bowl, mix the gluten powder, nutritional yeast, onion

powder, garlic, and black pepper together. In a smaller bowl, whisk together

the first batch of cold water or mushroom broth, ketchup, soy sauce,

yeast extract, and Kitchen Bouquet.

Pour the broth into the gluten mixture, and mix it into a ball. Place

the ball into a roasting pan with a cover large enough to allow the ball

to double (press the ball down to flatten a bit).

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a cooking broth made by mixing

together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the gluten ball, and bake

uncovered for 1/2 hour. Prick the roast all over with a fork, and turn it over. Lower heat to 300F and bake covered for 1 more hour, turning

once in a while.

Slow-Cooker Method: Cook in a slow-cooker on HIGH for 10 hours.

Per serving: Calories: 181, Protein: 34 gm, Fat: 1 gm, Carbohydrates:

9 gm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

i'm sure that would work too! you can get vital wheat gluten at any supermarket. i usually buy it in the bulk section. i haven't tried any recipes like this yet (i usually bought it for making bread) but i am eager to try it!

if you buy gluten already made, i'm sure it would work just as well. i'm not sure that you'd have to cook it as long though. anyone else have ideas?

cherrie

Hi all and Happy HolidaysI like gluten or seitan. Where do you get this instant gluten powder? I can get gluten already made at Asian markets and would I just add the nutritional yeast, onion flakes, garlic and pepper to the broth?BarbaraAt 03:27 PM 12/23/01 -0800, you wrote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beefy Seitan Roast

Recipe By : The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook, by Grogan, page 173 Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Main Dishes, Vegetarian

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- ***GLUTEN MIXTURE*** 2 cups instant gluten powder (vital wheat gluten) 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes 1 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules black pepper -- to taste ***BROTH*** 1 1/2 cups cold water OR broth from soaking Chinese dried mushrooms 2 tablespoons ketchup 2 tablespoons soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce 2 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extract OR dark miso 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet ***COOKING BROTH*** 4 cups water or broth from soaking dried Chinese mushrooms 1/4 cup ketchup 1/4 cup soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce 4 teaspoons Marmite or other yeast extract OR dark miso 4 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet

Serves 6 to 8

This is excellent hot or sliced cold for sandwiches. Make the whole recipe and use the leftovers for sandwiches, or grind some in a meat grinder or food processor for "hamburger." Cut some of it into strips for stir-fries and stroganoff, and/or cut thicker slices for "steaks" or "cutlets" to pan fry, grill, or broil (with or without a breading and with or without a salt-free grilling sauce, barbecue sauce, or marinade). Use the leftover cooking broth to enhance sauces.

In a dry bowl, mix the gluten powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic, and black pepper together. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the first batch of cold water or mushroom broth, ketchup, soy sauce, yeast extract, and Kitchen Bouquet.

Pour the broth into the gluten mixture, and mix it into a ball. Place the ball into a roasting pan with a cover large enough to allow the ball to double (press the ball down to flatten a bit).

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a cooking broth made by mixing together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the gluten ball, and bake uncovered for 1/2 hour. Prick the roast all over with a fork, and turn it over. Lower heat to 300F and bake covered for 1 more hour, turning once in a while.

Slow-Cooker Method: Cook in a slow-cooker on HIGH for 10 hours.

Per serving: Calories: 181, Protein: 34 gm, Fat: 1 gm, Carbohydrates: 9 gm. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -