IndiaDivine.org

Is this a recipes list?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

mark, thank you for this. as the list owner, i originally started it to be a recipes list. i was away for awhile and unable to keep an eye on things, and even though i don't mind SOME discussion, it does appear that it's gotten a bit more discussion oriented and less about crockpot recipes. i appreciate your post, and i need to ask everyone to PLEASE keep the off topic discussion to a minimum, and try to keep this as a recipes/slow cooking discussion list :)

i will start moderating people if i have to, but i really don't want to do that!!!

thanks everyone!!!

cherrie, list owner

-

Mark Sutton

Saturday, November 16, 2002 11:10 AM

Is this a recipes list?

Been lurking for a week or two now, and it seems that people want to talkabout scams and not crockpot (vegan) recipes (which, in theory, the list isabout).Here's one I finally wrote online a year ago. FYI, Mark----------Apple "Old Faithful" (Copyright 2001 by Mark Sutton, vegetus (AT) hoodel (DOT) Feelfree to distribute electronically as long as this sentence is included!)---- lightly spray 3.5 qt. crockpot with olive oil spray (could lightly soybutter sides of c'pot)---- 1 1/2 C chopped dried apricots---- 1 1/2 C raisins---- 5 Med to Large Apples 1/4 -1/2" quartered-slices (cut wider ifplanning to cook longer.. I used a couple of different types of apples...point is to get close to the top of the crockpot)---- 2 T lemon juice---- 1 C chopped walnuts---- 1 1/4 C Lite Brown Sugar---- 2 t ground cinnamon---- 1 t ground nutmeg---- 1/2 t ground coriander---- 1/2 t salt---- 3 T soy margarine (dabs all over the top)Layer as listed above. Mix a bit. Don't worry if something collapses (!).It all works together on its own, you're just giving it all a start.LOW cooking... until done to desired "ooziness".. gets nice an syrupytowards the end... (5 to 7 hours.. nice temporal float for a potluc is 4to 5 hrs.... cooked until almost done, I then stirred it a bit while theapple slices still had some firmness... turned off until roomtemperature... transport.... plug-in at potlulck on "high"... wait 15 - 30minutes (guess with texture of apple slices) then turn to "low" to serve...killa)Freely inspired from:(1) "Spiced Apple with Dried Cherries and Apricots" by Natalie Haughton,"The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever", ISBN 0-06-017288-5.MSS mods: I didn't have lemon zest, skipped the grated nutmeg and usedground, didn't make the "crunchy topping". I didn't use 2/3 cups driedcherries and 1 6 oz. package choped dried apricots. Also blew off the "Icecream, whipped cream, or cheddar cheese slices." Adding walnuts to this isan easy concept from studying other recipes and doesn't make it "mine."(2) "Apple Brown Betty" from Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery, ISBN0-553-57651-8.MSS ideas: she used bread cubes, no dried fruit, or coriander (let alone atopping), but helped with the measurements of the apples,general layeringtechnique, and length of cooking estimate.(3) "Saucy Alll-Day Apples" from Sunset's "Crockery Cookbook", ISBN0-376-0224-8.MSS finding: cook the hell out of it (8 hours) and you've got applesauce.Yum! Hard to mess up.--------------------DRAFT: MSS 11/14/01--------------------

I was reading and responding chronologically.

I'll behave now. LOL.

But one question, if there a vegetarian, frugal

group? I quit a couple of frugal groups. Got

tired of cringling over their ground critter

recipes. Buying organic is too expensive for me

to do without a frugal plan.

Please respond to me off-list so we can stay on

purpose for now on.

Amirah

--- glitterophelia <res1djus wrote:

> mark, thank you for this. as the list owner, i

> originally started it to be a recipes list. i

=====

" There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or

as though everything is a miracle. "

--Albert Einstein

Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site

http://webhosting.

Amirah:

One of the best groups for wholefood recipes and information is:

wholefood

but ... just don't tell the moderator I sent you. I'm sort of ... well ... let's just say I.m not her favorite individual.

If you want a place where you can discuss any topic related to health, food, mental health or anything you yourself can justify as related ..... this was an off shoot from wholefoods for just this purpose ....

food_after_thought/

The latter is an open group ... intentionally. You do not have to commit yourself as a member to read the postings or view the archives. It's there FOR learning ... not for all to just agree with each other.

"A"

nformation is :

--- Amirah <amirah_yates wrote: > I was reading and responding chronologically. > I'll behave now. LOL. > > But one question, if there a vegetarian, frugal > group? I quit a couple of frugal groups. Got > tired of cringling over their ground critter > recipes. Buying organic is too expensive for me > to do without a frugal plan. > > Please respond to me off-list so we can stay on > purpose for now on. > > Amirah > > --- glitterophelia <res1djus wrote: > > mark, thank you for this. as the list owner, i > > originally started it to be a recipes list. i > > > ===== > "There are only two ways to live your life: as > though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything > is a miracle." > --Albert Einstein > > > > Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site > http://webhosting. > Come and visit .. learn & / or contribute ... A "wholefoods meeting place"food_after_thought/ Talk about, listen to, find or add links .. any health concern is an acceptable subject. No need to join...were not out for membership quantity ... the postings are open to all

Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site