IndiaDivine.org

Beans inna Crockpot

Rate this topic

Guest guest

mark, this is really informative...i often end up buying canned beans because i feel that cooking them myself is too much work..this makes it seem much easier!

do you have a recipe for the boston baked beans you make in your crockpot? i'd be very interested in trying it out!

cherrie

-

Mark Sutton

Sunday, November 17, 2002 10:15 AM

Beans inna Crockpot

Although most recipes call for soaking the beans beforehand, I got a $101.5 (?) small crockpot a few years ago at "K-Mart" (of all places... nearthe organic farm I took a sabbatical to work part-time for a year).One cup of beans, around 4 cups of water, and they usually cook quite wellin 4 to 6 hours on low. I tend to make them once in awhile and then freezefor quick use as needed.I was really surprised at how well this worked, and of course, some beanstake longer and the "size" of the beans is a factor.Having done the soaking thing, the sprouting thing, the boiling and soakingthing, this is the absolute easiest. No salt, although I have, like withpintos, added a little powered cumin or other spices depending upon targetmeal. Sometimes a little hot sauce, an onion, whatever.Finally, I've used the same process making "boston baked beans" where thecooking time will be closer to 10 hours on low, depending (again) upon thebean size and which crockpot I use (I've several... the most recent, for asingle guy, has been the best... a 2 or 2.5 quarter..... the 3.5 quartcrockpots are great, and more common, but tend to cook more than I need inthose and you want to keep them at least half full).The 2/2.5 qt. version has been fantastic for making soup, stews, orwhatever, for two to three meals.Highly recommend checking out the smaller crockpots. The smallest is alsogood for appetizer dishes, but the only drawback is it only cooks on LOWand has no "off" setting (pulling the plug is unnerving).FYI, Mark******************************************************************Mark Sutton, Webmaster http://www.madcowboy.comEditor, Mad Cowboy e-NewsletterTo , send a blank e-mail to: Mad_Cowboy- Back issues/info: Mad_Cowboy/******************************************************************