IndiaDivine.org

help on de-gasing legumes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How does one degas ? I`m a member of Ediet.com I know that thee is a way to make beans so they make one not have so much gas put I for get how. hose any one have an answer I can share with my Ediet family

on the subject of gasless beans

"CHARLENE-- I, too, am interested in how you came to be a vegetarian. My daughter, now 22 years old, has been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian since her 14th birthday. If I could digest soy products or legumes properly (without having painful, toxic gas!), I'd probably go for that diet too. (Probably 2 much info, huh.)LOL

[FREE! 26 Bible guides] http://www.discoveronline.org/schools/375 Bible School CoordinatorCharlene (Ms Charley) L. Straws Tacoma WA.

Charlene, i got this from Vegsource, i hope it helps!

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/messages/999624.html

De-gassing beansMethod 1) Soak overnight (8-12 hours) in about 3 to 4 times as much water as beans. Tepid or cool water is OK. This can be left out on counter. When you're ready to cook the beans, discard the soaking water. Cook in fresh water. Method 2) Soak for about an hour in BOILING WATER. Cover the pan with the boiling water. Let sit in a warm place. When you're ready to cook the beans, discard the soaking water. Cook in fresh water.

http://pages.ivillage.com/opheliabughttp://www.a-mommys-world.com/http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhvegetarian

-

Charlene Straws

How does one degas ? I`m a member of Ediet.com I know that thee is a way to make beans so they make one not have so much gas put I for get how. hose any one have an answer I can share with my Ediet family

"CHARLENE-- I, too, am interested in how you came to be a vegetarian. My daughter, now 22 years old, has been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian since her 14th birthday. If I could digest soy products or legumes properly (without having painful, toxic gas!), I'd probably go for that diet too. (Probably 2 much info, huh.)LOL

Hi Charlene,

I've heard that soaking then freezing before cooking helps.

But some people just plan can't eat beans. For me some varieties are worse than others.

After soaking when I go to cook the beans a foam comes to the top, skimming off the foam and discarding it seems to help too. I still get embarrassing gas, but not painful or bloating.

Bonnie

-

Charlene Straws

2030plan ; ALLNaturalSweetenerReci ; Christian-Vegan-Cooking@ ; sdacounselsonhealth Moderator ; SDA-Vegan-Cooking@yah ; ; @y ; VeganMenus4HealthyLivin ; Charlene ( Ms Charley] L. Straws

Sunday, August 10, 2003 6:51 AM

help on de-gasing legumes

[FREE! 26 Bible guides] http://www.discoveronline.org/schools/375 Bible School CoordinatorCharlene (Ms Charley) L. Straws Tacoma WA.

Hello.

I do two things which seem to help. I add about a tsp to a tablespoon of baking soda to the soaking water & let it soak for at least 8 hours. Then I discard the soaking water, rinse the beans several times, and cook in fresh water. For me, this has greatly lessened any embarrassing gas.

Wendy

Hi there! Try throwing in a couple bay leaves or a teaspoon of fennel seeds in the soaking water. When you are done soaking the beans, rinse them off and cook them with a new bay leaf in the cooking water. Works great!

Michelle

, " Charlene Straws "

<mscharley@w...> wrote:

> How does one degas [beans]?

The other posters are right; soaking the beans and then discarding

the soaking water helps A LOT. The gas-producing element (I can't

recall its name) is water soluble.

The variety of bean makes a difference, too. In my experience, brown

lentils are pretty bad unless soaked, and kidney beans and black

beans are pretty gassy. Pinto beans and garbanzos less so. I've

read that Anazasi beans (a speckled bean shaped like a kidney bean)

are the least gassy.

Quantity makes a difference, too. Combine your beans with grains and

vegetables, so the beans make up a smaller percentage of the meal.

Traditional cultures hold that adding particular spices or seasonings

to the bean dish helps. Central and South American cooks use

epazote; South Asian cooks use ginger, and there's a particular sea

vegetable that's used.

Finally, there are enzyme supplements, like Beano, that you can try.

Here is Canada, the Hutterite groups have cookbooks which are often sought after. Their suggestion is that a meal with beans should always include pineapple in some form, cooked into the meal or as dessert.

Modern day analyse reveals that the enxymes in pineapple are especially helpful for those with "difficult" digestions and that serving beans with pineapple is indeed helpful in preventing the beans from passing into the digestive tract in a less broken down state than other foods and therefore preventing the fermenting which takes place in the intestines.

Since we love pineapple I just include some in many of my bean recipes. Works great.

BL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~What does Yhwh Elohim require of you?To act justlyand to love mercyand To walk humbly with your Elohim.

Baruch haba b'shem Adonai

hahcim (Micah) 6:8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~