IndiaDivine.org

Wanted Animal Rights Activist Arrested

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Source >

http://story.news./news?tmpl=story & cid=519 & ncid=519 & e=20 & u=/ap/20050330\

/ap_on_re_us/activist_captured

Wed Mar 30,11:12 AM ET

Add to My U.S. National - AP

SAN JOSE, Calif. - An animal rights activist was

arrested on a domestic terrorism charge after seven

years on the run in connection with the release of

thousands of minks from commercial farms.

Peter Daniel Young, 27, could face life in prison if

convicted of all charges, including conspiracy to

interfere with interstate commerce and animal

enterprise terrorism, according to court papers.

Young fled soon after he was indicted in 1998 and was

arrested March 21 at a coffee shop in San Jose,

authorities said.

He and Justin Clayton Samuel, 26, were indicted by a

federal grand jury in Wisconsin in the release of

minks from farms in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Iowa,

FBI agent Mike Johnson said Tuesday. They were accused

of freeing thousands of the animals.

Federal authorities suspect Young is affiliated with

the activist group Animal Liberation Front. A

telephone message left at the group's office in Canoga

Park was not immediately returned.

According to a police report, Officer Ian Cooley

witnessed Young attempting to steal music CDs from the

cafe. Young was arrested and found to be hiding a

handcuff key taped to his belt, according to the

report. A fingerprint search turned up the outstanding

warrant.

Young also faces several charges in connection with

the coffee shop incident. He is being held in an

isolation jail cell because he refused to take a

tuberculosis test, authorities said. Some TB tests

contain animal products.

Co-defendant Samuel was arrested in Belgium in 1999.

He pleaded guilty the following year and was sentenced

to two years in prison.

Guest guest

O.K., I don't agree with the "domestic terrorist" stupidity. We have enough problems with that up here because we stop logging trucks.

However, I think folks that turn these animals loose are criminals! It is criminal behavior to turn animals loose to fend for themselves. Animals that are clueless as to how to find their own food. AND, animals such as minks which have been known to totally destroy an eco-system!

Do folks agree with turning animals loose or do you think there are better ways such as all the work that was done so that companies such as Avon no longer sell anything that uses animal testing?

Lynda

-

Rick Stevens

ecology1st2004

Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:13 AM

Wanted Animal Rights Activist ArrestedSource >http://story.news./news?tmpl=story & cid=519 & ncid=519 & e=20 & u=/ap/20050330/ap_on_re_us/activist_capturedWed Mar 30,11:12 AM ET Add to My U.S. National - APSAN JOSE, Calif. - An animal rights activist wasarrested on a domestic terrorism charge after sevenyears on the run in connection with the release ofthousands of minks from commercial farms.Peter Daniel Young, 27, could face life in prison ifconvicted of all charges, including conspiracy tointerfere with interstate commerce and animalenterprise terrorism, according to court papers.Young fled soon after he was indicted in 1998 and wasarrested March 21 at a coffee shop in San Jose,authorities said.He and Justin Clayton Samuel, 26, were indicted by afederal grand jury in Wisconsin in the release ofminks from farms in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Iowa,FBI agent Mike Johnson said Tuesday. They were accusedof freeing thousands of the animals.Federal authorities suspect Young is affiliated withthe activist group Animal Liberation Front. Atelephone message left at the group's office in CanogaPark was not immediately returned.According to a police report, Officer Ian Cooleywitnessed Young attempting to steal music CDs from thecafe. Young was arrested and found to be hiding ahandcuff key taped to his belt, according to thereport. A fingerprint search turned up the outstandingwarrant.Young also faces several charges in connection withthe coffee shop incident. He is being held in anisolation jail cell because he refused to take atuberculosis test, authorities said. Some TB testscontain animal products.Co-defendant Samuel was arrested in Belgium in 1999.He pleaded guilty the following year and was sentencedto two years in prison. To send an email to -

Guest guest

I used to think it was good to turn them loose. Now it seems the same people who hunt foxes, hunt mink, so I'm not totally sure now. It is a difficult problem for the activists concerned, because they feel they have to do something.

Jo

O.K., I don't agree with the "domestic terrorist" stupidity. We have enough problems with that up here because we stop logging trucks.

However, I think folks that turn these animals loose are criminals! It is criminal behavior to turn animals loose to fend for themselves. Animals that are clueless as to how to find their own food. AND, animals such as minks which have been known to totally destroy an eco-system!

Do folks agree with turning animals loose or do you think there are better ways such as all the work that was done so that companies such as Avon no longer sell anything that uses animal testing?

Lynda

Guest guest

> However, I think folks that turn these animals loose are criminals! It is criminal behavior to turn animals loose

> to fend for themselves. Animals that are clueless as to how to find their own food. AND, animals such as

> minks which have been known to totally destroy an eco-system!

I would tend to think that I would rather be left to fend for myself in an unusual world than to die by having my intestines burnt out with a hot poker stuffed up my back-side.

I agree it's not ideal, but I do feel it is the lesser of two evils for the animals concerned - besides which, a large number escape without any human intervention.

> Do folks agree with turning animals loose or do you think there are better ways such as all the work that was

> done so that companies such as Avon no longer sell anything that uses animal testing?

Ultimately, I think that the long term solution is far better, since it stops the cruelty completely. However, I hope if ever I am being held captive so that I can be killed for my skin, that people would be prepared to "break the law" to help me get out - even if it was into a hostile environment. So, I don't see so much of a problm with letting them out.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I have heard that some breeders just let the excess animals (i.e. ill, not good specimens etc.) loose anyway.

Jo

I would tend to think that I would rather be left to fend for myself in an unusual world than to die by having my intestines burnt out with a hot poker stuffed up my back-side.

I agree it's not ideal, but I do feel it is the lesser of two evils for the animals concerned - besides which, a large number escape without any human intervention.

> Do folks agree with turning animals loose or do you think there are better ways such as all the work that was

> done so that companies such as Avon no longer sell anything that uses animal testing?

Ultimately, I think that the long term solution is far better, since it stops the cruelty completely. However, I hope if ever I am being held captive so that I can be killed for my skin, that people would be prepared to "break the law" to help me get out - even if it was into a hostile environment. So, I don't see so much of a problm with letting them out.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -