Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 10/27/00 2:28:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

lucyb writes:

<< About the flax oil - we tend to use it in salad dressings - I know you

mustn't cook it as that destroys a lot of the nutrients. It can be mixed into

mashed potatos, vegetables, anything you like really. My friend used to give

her son a tablespoon of it in the morning but he was a bit older than your

daughter (it is quite a strong tasting oil).

Hemp seed oil has a good balance of EFAs too so we also use that on salads,

>>

Does the hemp seed oil tatse better? What could I mix it with to give her?

About the flax oil - we tend to use it in salad dressings - I know you mustn't cook it as that destroys a lot of the nutrients. It can be mixed into mashed potatos, vegetables, anything you like really. My friend used to give her son a tablespoon of it in the morning but he was a bit older than your daughter (it is quite a strong tasting oil).

Lucy

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk

GeekGoddessMama <GeekGoddessMama 26 October 2000 22:20Re: Yadda yadda..replacementsIn a message dated 10/26/00 5:13:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lucyb writes:<< I had a friend with a very hyperactive child (not vegan) who supplemented with flax oil and it did make a big difference to him. She had read that some children have difficulty absorbing EFAs - don't know how true this is. >>Ok, how can I get flax oil in her food? What do I need to do? Never used it. Any tips or suggestions? She is eating table food now. She's 14 months old.

I think they are both much the same - I really like the taste and so do my children so she might not mind it. It's quite similar to a high quality olive oil really - a bit nuttier tasting. I'm sure it could be mixed in with any savoury dish that she likes - just a small amount at first to see if she objects. As I said we use these oils mainly in salad but I have sometimes put a little in with pasta after cooking.

Lucy

GeekGoddessMama <GeekGoddessMama 27 October 2000 08:18Re: Yadda yadda..replacements - flaxIn a message dated 10/27/00 2:28:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lucyb writes:<< About the flax oil - we tend to use it in salad dressings - I know you mustn't cook it as that destroys a lot of the nutrients. It can be mixed into mashed potatos, vegetables, anything you like really. My friend used to give her son a tablespoon of it in the morning but he was a bit older than your daughter (it is quite a strong tasting oil).Hemp seed oil has a good balance of EFAs too so we also use that on salads, >>Does the hemp seed oil tatse better? What could I mix it with to give her?

Someone on another list I was on, maybe the old sci-veg list, did some research into what temperature flax oil breaks down at, and it is okay for most baking.

By the way, it is not so much the amount of omega 3's in a food that is important, as the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio.

Pam

lucyburnett <lucyb Friday, October 27, 2000 12:28 AMRe: Yadda yadda..replacements - flax

About the flax oil - we tend to use it in salad dressings - I know you mustn't cook it as that destroys a lot of the nutrients. It can be mixed into mashed potatos, vegetables, anything you like really. My friend used to give her son a tablespoon of it in the morning but he was a bit older than your daughter (it is quite a strong tasting oil).

Lucy

http://www.veganfamily.co.uk