IndiaDivine.org

Harvest Rice Stuffed Pumpkin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Harvest Rice Stuffed Pumpkin

1 well shaped pumpkin (a size that fits into your oven)

2 cups Lundberg's Christmas Rice*

4 vegetable broth cubes

2 cups wheat berries

2 large onions, chopped

1 tsp. olive oil (optional)

1 1/2 c. toasted cashews

2 large apples

garlic powder to taste

Wash and hollow out pumpkin. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for one

hour. (Put foil on stem and place lid of pumpkin on cookie sheet to bake

beside pumpkin). Cook rice with 4 cups of water and 2 vegetable broth cubes

until done. Sauté onion in small amount of olive oil or water until

transparent. Mix cooked rice and cooked wheat berries with onions, cashews,

and apples. Stuff in hot pumpkin, cover top with foil, and return to oven

to bake 30 minutes more. Place pumpkin on large serving platter. Garnish

with greens, gourds, and other festive decoration.

*Available at most health food stores; may substitute.

Interested in healthy, vegan recipes?

Christian-Vegan-Cooking

Dear "bml/lmel" <bmlehmanOK- forgive me for not knowing this- but is the actual pumpkin "meat" good to eat? Are there varieties that are better for cooking and those that are better for decoration? Thanks

Dear Friends,

Could we please all remember to sign our names at the end of our posts? At the very least, our first name? It makes for so much more of a friendly community when we can address each other by name, "remember" each other, and it's just a polite nicety. It's not as if we are on the Animal Liberation Front list and we need to hide our identities. Thanks

All my best,

Susan McCoy

25 weeks along with first child

Due Feb 11, 2001 Home Water Birth with midwife and husband

kellyandsusan

Harvest Rice Stuffed Pumpkin1 well shaped pumpkin (a size that fits into your oven)2 cups Lundberg's Christmas Rice*4 vegetable broth cubes2 cups wheat berries2 large onions, chopped1 tsp. olive oil (optional)1 1/2 c. toasted cashews2 large applesgarlic powder to tasteWash and hollow out pumpkin. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for onehour. (Put foil on stem and place lid of pumpkin on cookie sheet to bakebeside pumpkin). Cook rice with 4 cups of water and 2 vegetable broth cubesuntil done. Sauté onion in small amount of olive oil or water untiltransparent. Mix cooked rice and cooked wheat berries with onions, cashews,and apples. Stuff in hot pumpkin, cover top with foil, and return to ovento bake 30 minutes more. Place pumpkin on large serving platter. Garnishwith greens, gourds, and other festive decoration.*Available at most health food stores; may substitute.

Dear "bml/lmel" <bmlehmanOK- forgive me for not knowing this- but is the actual pumpkin "meat" good to eat? Are there varieties that are better for cooking and those that are better for decoration? Thanks

The entire pumpkin is safe and delicious! Pumpkin is like a squash. . . .of which we sometimes even eat the skins at our house! For the Harvest Rice Stuffed Pumpkin recipe you'll want to "clean out" the middle, taking out the strings and seeds. If you like, you can then wash the seeds and roast them and enjoy pumpkin seeds on the side (very tasty and good for you too!). I believe all varieties are good to eat, although I sometimes wonder about those cute, little decorative ones in the grocery store. I saw a recipe recently where they were used for individual, stuffed baked pumpkins, so they are probably okay too. Does anyone know?

I'm enjoying the recipes!

LaDonna