IndiaDivine.org

vegan pregnancy and extended breastfeeding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/15/2001 9:05:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, trinithree writes:

I'm not a mother but I may be someday soon. What is an AP mother? - titi

It is attachment parenting, it is basically being attached to your child.

Extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, having baby in arms or sling, responding to them and basically just being in tune with your baby. Some people who practice attachment parenting also don't believe in circumcision (I don't), use cloth diapers (I do!) and quite a few that I know are vegetarians. It really is great, most of the ap kids that I know are super kids and are extremely secure and independent.

Sara

Colin's Ap Mama

A baby will only spoil if you leave it on the shelf.

Come see us at http://members.tripod.com/colinsapmama/

Guest guest

Ditto:

I did extended nursing too..now my kids are 19 and 21....

If it wasnt for La Leche League I never would have made it due to social

comments....grrrrr....from relatives too...grrrrrrr...

mind your own business I say!

We had a family bed and now when daughter comes home from college she still

climbs in bed with us for a cuddle.....

love makes the world go round.

Jill

-

" Knapptime " <knapptime

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 7:36 AM

vegan pregnancy and extended breastfeeding

> Sara,

> Your letter was beautiful! You hit the nail on the head wonderfully! I

am

> an AP mom to 3 children. We agree with " self-led weaning " as well. My

son

> weaned around age 5, my daughter is still nursing at 4, and my baby is

> nursing at 13 months. For those of you who are uncomfortable with

extended

> nursing, I would like to add that my son has only had 1 cold in his entire

> life (he is 7 now) and my daughters are doing well on breastmilk as well.

> Human breastmilk supplies the baby with B12 by the way.

>

> Samantha

> AP momma to Corey (7) Asia (4) and Raven (13 months)

>

> > Mon, 14 May 2001 05:37:49 EDT

> > colinsapmama

> > Re: Vegan Pregnancies (was Re:Tempeh & Vitamins B-12)

> >

> > First I want to start by saying that I had the best pregnancy!! I was

in

> > great physical shape when I got pregnant and I ate extremely healthy. I

> > absolutely loved being pregnant! I had no morning sickness or any other

> > problems of any kind, I felt like a goddess!! My delivery was a bit

> tough,

> > but I think that is because it was in a hospital (was supposed to be in

a

> > birthing center) and my wishes were not being met, the next one will be

> born

> > at home. I was already eating so healthy when I got pregnant so I

didn't

> > make too many changes to my diet. I added a natural prenatal vitamin

and

> had

> > a couple of extra snacks throughout the day. I don't do caffeine,

smoking

> or

> > any medications of any kind, so there wasn't anything to phase out. I

> > exercised up until the day before I went into labor, it helps avoid

> > miscarrying and also helps to ensure that the baby will come when it is

> > supposed to, it also gets you ready for the marathon of birth! My son

was

> > 8lbs 5oz.

> > My son is still breastfeeding at 17 months. I haven't made any other

> changes

> > to my diet, still taking the prenatal vitamin and eating and drinking

when

> > hungry. You need to eat and drink enough while nursing. My son is a

> healthy

> > and avid nurser, he drinks water throughout the day and occasionally he

> will

> > drink a cup of soy or oat milk, but he mostly just drinks my milk. I

> can't

> > emphasize enough how wonderfully perfect human milk is, it is the

PERFECT

> > food for human babies! If left to wean on their own they wean by around

> 4, I

> > know some of you probably think this is so weird, especially those of

you

> > without kids, read about it before you have the baby and you will more

> than

> > likely agree. After they wean, if left to do it on their own, then

there

> is

> > no need for any other milk or milk substitutes. Species specific milk

is

> the

> > perfect milk for that species, that milk is created for that species

> babies,

> > babies need milk, that is it.

> > I totally recommend to read up on breastfeeding, it is the best gift

that

> a

> > mother can give her baby. When you are pregnant, contact La Leche

League,

> > they provide breastfeeding support and can help if you have a problem,

> they

> > are also a great source of knowledge on the subject. I also recommend

> > reading some of the writings of Kathryn Detwieler (I can't remember how

to

> > spell it, I can find it out if anyone is interested) she is an

> anthropologist

> > who did research about the natural age of weaning, it is very

interesting.

> >

> > Sara

> > Colin's Ap Mama

> > A baby will only spoil if you leave it on the shelf.

> > Come see us at <A

> HREF= " http://www.sos.state.mi.us/election/elecadmin/2000web/index.html " >

> </A>h<A

>

HREF= " http://members.tripod.com/colinsapmama/ " >ttp://members.tripod.com/coli

> nsapmama/</A

Guest guest

I don't mean to be rude but I am not pregnant nor am I planning to be in the near future. While this may be a very important topic to many, it really is of no interest to me. Please take this discussion off the list. I don't believe it has much to do with Vegan Recipes. Why not start your own list regarding this discussion?

Thanks,

Jenny M.

-

ann hagen

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 10:45 AM

Re: vegan pregnancy and extended breastfeeding

Nursing: I have three children who nursed. The oldest, my daughter, I nursed until until I found I had ruined her teeth. I allowed her to set her own demands...I became a human pacifer. I believe she was just over 2 when I cut her off. Muramoto told me that until the age of one, a baby is nourished by mother's milk, but after that a baby "feeds" off the mother. I would say I agree with him. (I was at his school when pregnant with my second child) My other two children got cut off at 1, whether they were ready or not. They were much more independent than my daughter as children. In fact, for me extending my daughter's nursing led me to resent her...led her to panic if I was not in her sight. So. I totally disagree. I became a human pacifer to her because I was under the influence of a very opinionated macro friend at the time. I hope that each mother will make up her own mind, and do what her best teac! her (her intuition) tells her.

Jill & David <norths wrote:

Ditto:I did extended nursing too..now my kids are 19 and 21....If it wasnt for La Leche League I never would have made it due to socialcomments....grrrrr....from relatives too...grrrrrrr...mind your own business I say!We had a family bed and now when daughter comes home from college she stillclimbs in bed with us for a cuddle.....love makes the world go round.Jill-"Knapptime" <knapptimeTuesday, May 15, 2001 7:36 AM vegan pregnancy and extended breastfeeding> Sara,> Your letter was beautiful! You hit the nail on the head wonderfully! Iam> an AP mom to 3 children. We agree with "self-led weaning" as well. Myson> weaned around age 5, my daug! hter is still nursing at 4, and my baby is> nursing at 13 months. For those of you who are uncomfortable withextended> nursing, I would like to add that my son has only had 1 cold in his entire> life (he is 7 now) and my daughters are doing well on breastmilk as well.> Human breastmilk supplies the baby with B12 by the way.>> Samantha> AP momma to Corey (7) Asia (4) and Raven (13 months)>> > Mon, 14 May 2001 05:37:49 EDT> > colinsapmama > Re: Vegan Pregnancies (was Re:Tempeh & Vitamins B-12)> >> > First I want to start by saying that I had the best pregnancy!! I wasin> > great physical shape when I got pregnant and I ate extremely healthy. I> > absolutely loved being pregnant! I had no morning sickness or any other> > problems of any kind, I! felt like a goddess!! My delivery was a bit> tough,> > but I think that is because it was in a hospital (was supposed to be ina> > birthing center) and my wishes were not being met, the next one will be> born> > at home. I was already eating so healthy when I got pregnant so Ididn't> > make too many changes to my diet. I added a natural prenatal vitaminand> had> > a couple of extra snacks throughout the day. I don't do caffeine,smoking> or> > any medications of any kind, so there wasn't anything to phase out. I> > exercised up until the day before I went into labor, it helps avoid> > miscarrying and also helps to ensure that the baby will come when it is> > supposed to, it also gets you ready for the marathon of birth! My sonwas> > 8lbs 5oz.> > My son is still breastfeeding at ! 17 months. I haven't made any other> changes> > to my diet, still taking the prenatal vitamin and eating and drinkingwhen> > hungry. You need to eat and drink enough while nursing. My son is a> healthy> > and avid nurser, he drinks water throughout the day and occasionally he> will> > drink a cup of soy or oat milk, but he mostly just drinks my milk. I> can't> > emphasize enough how wonderfully perfect human milk is, it is thePERFECT> > food for human babies! If left to wean on their own they wean by around> 4, I> > know some of you probably think this is so weird, especially those ofyou> > without kids, read about it before you have the baby and you will more> than> > likely agree. After they wean, if left to do it on their own, thenthere> is> > no need for any other milk or m! ilk substitutes. Species specific milkis> the> > perfect milk for that species, that milk is created for that species> babies,> > babies need milk, that is it.> > I totally recommend to read up on breastfeeding, it is the best giftthat> a> > mother can give her baby. When you are pregnant, contact La LecheLeague,> > they provide breastfeeding support and can help if you have a problem,> they> > are also a great source of knowledge on the subject. I also recommend> > reading some of the writings of Kathryn Detwieler (I can't remember howto> > spell it, I can find it out if anyone is interested) she is an> anthropologist> > who did research about the natural age of weaning, it is veryinteresting.> >> > Sara> > Colin's Ap Mama> > A baby will only spoil if you leave it on the she! lf.> > Come see us at <A> HREF="http://www.sos.state.mi.us/election/elecadmin/2000web/index.html">> </A>h<A>HREF="http://members.tripod.com/colinsapmama/">ttp://members.tripod.com/coli> nsapmama/</A>>>>>>>

Guest guest

According to the list's description this list is for :

"A place to exchange vegan and vegetarian recipes and links"

I don't believe the discussion on how long you plan to breastfeed really is considered a recipe or link. If this is what the owner/moderator wishes to discuss on this list than perhaps he/she should state so in the lists description.

-

Jill & David

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 1:31 PM

I don't mean to be rude either, but that is what the delete button is for.

AND: All of us vegans, or those in transition can learn about nutrition even if you are not or planning on being pg.

-

~Jennifer Meyrose~

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 8:50 AM

I don't mean to be rude but I am not pregnant nor am I planning to be in the near future. While this may be a very important topic to many, it really is of no interest to me. Please take this discussion off the list. I don't believe it has much to do with Vegan Recipes. Why not start your own list regarding this discussion?

Thanks,

Jenny M.

-

ann hagen

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 10:45 AM

Nursing: I have three children who nursed. The oldest, my daughter, I nursed until until I found I had ruined her teeth. I allowed her to set her own demands...I became a human pacifer. I believe she was just over 2 when I cut her off. Muramoto told me that until the age of one, a baby is nourished by mother's milk, but after that a baby "feeds" off the mother. I would say I agree with him. (I was at his school when pregnant with my second child) My other two children got cut off at 1, whether they were ready or not. They were much more independent than my daughter as children. In fact, for me extending my daughter's nursing led me to resent her...led her to panic if I was not in her sight. So. I totally disagree. I became a human pacifer to her because I was under the influence of a very opinionated macro friend at the time. I hope that each mother will make up her own mind, and do what her best teac! her (her intuition) tells her.

Jill & David <norths wrote:

Ditto:I did extended nursing too..now my kids are 19 and 21....If it wasnt for La Leche League I never would have made it due to socialcomments....grrrrr....from relatives too...grrrrrrr...mind your own business I say!We had a family bed and now when daughter comes home from college she stillclimbs in bed with us for a cuddle.....love makes the world go round.Jill-"Knapptime" <knapptimeTuesday, May 15, 2001 7:36 AM vegan pregnancy and extended breastfeeding> Sara,> Your letter was beautiful! You hit the nail on the head wonderfully! Iam> an AP mom to 3 children. We agree with "self-led weaning" as well. Myson> weaned around age 5, my daug! hter is still nursing at 4, and my baby is> nursing at 13 months. For those of you who are uncomfortable withextended> nursing, I would like to add that my son has only had 1 cold in his entire> life (he is 7 now) and my daughters are doing well on breastmilk as well.> Human breastmilk supplies the baby with B12 by the way.>> Samantha> AP momma to Corey (7) Asia (4) and Raven (13 months)>> > Mon, 14 May 2001 05:37:49 EDT> > colinsapmama > Re: Vegan Pregnancies (was Re:Tempeh & Vitamins B-12)> >> > First I want to start by saying that I had the best pregnancy!! I wasin> > great physical shape when I got pregnant and I ate extremely healthy. I> > absolutely loved being pregnant! I had no morning sickness or any other> > problems of any kind, I! felt like a goddess!! My delivery was a bit> tough,> > but I think that is because it was in a hospital (was supposed to be ina> > birthing center) and my wishes were not being met, the next one will be> born> > at home. I was already eating so healthy when I got pregnant so Ididn't> > make too many changes to my diet. I added a natural prenatal vitaminand> had> > a couple of extra snacks throughout the day. I don't do caffeine,smoking> or> > any medications of any kind, so there wasn't anything to phase out. I> > exercised up until the day before I went into labor, it helps avoid> > miscarrying and also helps to ensure that the baby will come when it is> > supposed to, it also gets you ready for the marathon of birth! My sonwas> > 8lbs 5oz.> > My son is still breastfeeding at ! 17 months. I haven't made any other> changes> > to my diet, still taking the prenatal vitamin and eating and drinkingwhen> > hungry. You need to eat and drink enough while nursing. My son is a> healthy> > and avid nurser, he drinks water throughout the day and occasionally he> will> > drink a cup of soy or oat milk, but he mostly just drinks my milk. I> can't> > emphasize enough how wonderfully perfect human milk is, it is thePERFECT> > food for human babies! If left to wean on their own they wean by around> 4, I> > know some of you probably think this is so weird, especially those ofyou> > without kids, read about it before you have the baby and you will more> than> > likely agree. After they wean, if left to do it on their own, thenthere> is> > no need for any other milk or m! ilk substitutes. Species specific milkis> the> > perfect milk for that species, that milk is created for that species> babies,> > babies need milk, that is it.> > I totally recommend to read up on breastfeeding, it is the best giftthat> a> > mother can give her baby. When you are pregnant, contact La LecheLeague,> > they provide breastfeeding support and can help if you have a problem,> they> > are also a great source of knowledge on the subject. I also recommend> > reading some of the writings of Kathryn Detwieler (I can't remember howto> > spell it, I can find it out if anyone is interested) she is an> anthropologist> > who did research about the natural age of weaning, it is veryinteresting.> >> > Sara> > Colin's Ap Mama> > A baby will only spoil if you leave it on the she! lf.> > Come see us at <A> HREF="http://www.sos.state.mi.us/election/elecadmin/2000web/index.html">> </A>h<A>HREF="http://members.tripod.com/colinsapmama/">ttp://members.tripod.com/coli> nsapmama/</A>>>>>>>