IndiaDivine.org

Perogies! Thanks!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wow, Tammy! Thanks for the vegan perogie recipe. I think that is one of the things I miss most on a vegan diet. Thanks SO much!

:) LaDonna

-

~Tammy~

PEROGIES

2 1/2 pounds red potatoes,( I use baking potatoes also) 2 tablespoons vegan butter( I use earth balance)2 onions, chopped 1/2 pound soy bacon, I used dry bacon bits¼ cup nutritional yeast

2 tsps garlic powder2 cups flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup warm water 1/4 oil

Boil the potatoes until well done, drain and mash with butter. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat cook the onions and bacon together(I wait until the onions are almost done and just add the dry bacon in).. Add the bacon and onions to the potatoes. Stir the nutritional yeast into the potato mixture. Mix well. Chill until very cold. Mix flour and garlic powder and salt in large bowl. Make a well in the middle. Pour water and oil into the well. Mix together. Add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm. Knead dough until mixture does not stick to hands. Cover tightly and let stand for 1/2 hour in a warm place. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut in 2-inch diameter circles. Add 1 teaspoon filling, fold over 1 half of circle and press the edges together to seal. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon oil, and then add perogies. Stir occasionally so perogies won’t stick to the bottom. When perogies rise to the top, add 1 cup cold water to stop the cooking. Remove the perogies with a slotted spoon. Perogies will cook in 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with either pizza sauce or tofutti sour cream .

Yield: 4 to 6 servings