IndiaDivine.org

non-GMO labeling

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Vitasoy, the maker of Nasoya Organic Tofu, has redesigned the packaging for

this product. They have purposely left out the non-GMO information which

appeared as a small logo and in the contents section. I spoke to Matt Cool

at Nasoya and he said it was because they had no room in the new design.

IF YOU APPRECIATE that information and would like to continue to see it and

feel assured...

PLEASE CLIP THE FOLLOWING - or words of your own devising...

" Matt, I appreciated the presence of the non-GMO information on the old

Nasoya tofu packaging. Please forward my request to the proper authorities

at Vitasoy to continue to supply the non-GMO information on your new and

future packaging. In doing so, you encourage even more trust in an already

valued product. Thank you. "

EMAIL THAT TO: info

Thanks,

Rose and Fred

Hi Rose & Fred

What body certifies that this product is organic? In Canada, the organic certification is 'proof' that the product is non-GMO, so that information would be redundant.

I do, however, make the request to companies that make products where some or all of the ingredients are non-organic.

Tara

-

Fred & Rose Lieberman

December 2, 2002 1:03 PM

non-GMO labeling

Vitasoy, the maker of Nasoya Organic Tofu, has redesigned the packaging forthis product. They have purposely left out the non-GMO information whichappeared as a small logo and in the contents section. I spoke to Matt Coolat Nasoya and he said it was because they had no room in the new design.IF YOU APPRECIATE that information and would like to continue to see it andfeel assured...PLEASE CLIP THE FOLLOWING - or words of your own devising..."Matt, I appreciated the presence of the non-GMO information on the oldNasoya tofu packaging. Please forward my request to the proper authoritiesat Vitasoy to continue to supply the non-GMO information on your new andfuture packaging. In doing so, you encourage even more trust in an alreadyvalued product. Thank you."EMAIL THAT TO: infoThanks,Rose and Fred

Thanks for the post.

Tara, I believe the original packaging said California, while the new packaging says Massachusetts. This is just a headquarters move. As far as manufacture, they said they do it in a number of different places.

What troubles me is the "reason" they said it no longer appeared - not enough room on the package due to the new design.

?

I didn't know that about Canadian organic certification being proof of non-GMO. That's probably more in line with the European feeling about it. Here in the US, I don't think that holds since the GMO seed developers, for the most part, are here.

Rose

hi again -- yes, the "reason" they gave is disheartening, although I would venture a guess that the real reason isn't what we are fearing -- I'm sure the products are still gmo-free, but they may not be carried if they declare it ... one grocery chain here in Canada originally said that they wouldn't carry any items that said non-GMO, or they would black out that info (I have seen this done)! Canada is in the midst of a labelling debate and cost is supposedly the factor (spare me), but I really think it's competition - maybe vitasoy was getting some bullying from the big boys - sounds far-fetched but you never know

our vitasoy fresh soy milk has no mention of non-GMO and never has ...

you should check the certifying agency and then read up on their specifications - I'm sure you'll find certified organic means gmo-free in the u.s. as well (monsanto be damned)

:) Tara

-

Fred & Rose Lieberman

December 2, 2002 2:29 PM

Re: non-GMO labeling

Thanks for the post.

Tara, I believe the original packaging said California, while the new packaging says Massachusetts. This is just a headquarters move. As far as manufacture, they said they do it in a number of different places.

What troubles me is the "reason" they said it no longer appeared - not enough room on the package due to the new design.

?

I didn't know that about Canadian organic certification being proof of non-GMO. That's probably more in line with the European feeling about it. Here in the US, I don't think that holds since the GMO seed developers, for the most part, are here.

Rose

Hi, Tara. As it turns out, after I sent my message to an old ag professor friend at Cornell, he wrote back and said what you said. That organic now includes non-GMO. So my cause and my ego were deflated. But at least I know that it's non-GMO. Although, truth be told, my trust level is very low.

Rose