learning that I can eat the same food everyday for lunch at work for

going on seven months now. Adams peanut butter, soy margarine, low

sugar jam and Eziekel bread. I was a vegetarian for six years before

I upgraded to veganism about seven months ago. Being a vegetarian in

the kitchen was easier. I just added cheese to everything and added

alot of it.

I am curious about rice recipes. I LOVE Thai peanut sauce but have

yet to find a recipe for it. I hope the lady did not fib to me when

I asked her if it had animal by-products in it.

How do you make sticky rice? I like to use chop sticks but would

rather not eat my rice a grain at a time.

Thank you. I don't have much to contribute in trade for recipes but

I was excited when I discovered the incredible taste of mushrooms

when I 'fried' them up with water rather than margarine or oil. I use

enough water to keep them from burning but not so much that I have to

pour it off when their done. OH, how it brings out their flavor! I

tend to nibble on them before they make it to the main dish. Then I

have to make more :)

Hi

> I was excited when I discovered the incredible taste of mushrooms

> when I 'fried' them up with water rather than margarine or oil. I use

> enough water to keep them from burning but not so much that I have to

> pour it off when their done. OH, how it brings out their flavor! I

I like to roast some roma tomatoes, cut in half and cut side up

for about 20 mins on 180C ( I guess this is about 360F) then I add large peeled

mushrooms and leave the lot in 10 more minutes. Serve on toast or whatever.

You can dribble a bit of extra virg olive oil on the tomatoes

if you like, plus a little sea salt, but they really don't need the salt

I don't think!

I love mushrooms roasted like this so they are still very juicy! The

roma ( egg shaped) tomatoes have a much stronger taste when roasted,

very yummy!

Persian

Two quick and simple dishes I make are?

Stir-Fry

1 cup brown rice

2 cups water

1 bag frozen veggies, your choice (I think that's about 10 ounces)

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon ginger (I get it in a jar, a kind of chopped/pureed; the powdered would probably only require 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)

Put the rice and 2 cups of water in a sauce pan to simmer on low for 20-25 minutes. Add the frozen veggies and sauce fixings and continue simmering another 20-25 minutes. Serve.

Southern Rice, Beans and Greens

1 cup brown rice

2 cups water

1 can your favorite beans

1 tablespoon or so of chili powder

Good dash or more of hot sauce

1 can greens (You can find turnip, mustard, kale, etc. with or without seasonings and vegan)

Start cooking the rice in water for 35 minutes. Stir in the seasonings and drained and rinsed beans. Continue cooking

Two ways of doing the greens. Either hit then a spot in the microwave in the serving bowl and spoon the rice and beans over or go ahead and add them to the rice pot, too.

Well, two of my ideas. Please steal them and if anything, improve them by making them even easier. I am quite lazy.

-

treehuggercritterlover <treehuggercritterlover

Sunday, January 26, 2003 3:32 AM

Simple foods

Wow. Did I find the right group to chat with or what!! I would love to hear some recipes for simple foods. I am not much of a cook. I am learning that I can eat the same food everyday for lunch at work for going on seven months now. Adams peanut butter, soy margarine, low sugar jam and Eziekel bread. I was a vegetarian for six years before I upgraded to veganism about seven months ago. Being a vegetarian in the kitchen was easier. I just added cheese to everything and added alot of it. I am curious about rice recipes. I LOVE Thai peanut sauce but have yet to find a recipe for it. I hope the lady did not fib to me when I asked her if it had animal by-products in it. How do you make sticky rice? I like to use chop sticks but would rather not eat my rice a grain at a time. Thank you. I don't have much to contribute in trade for recipes but I was excited when I discovered the incredible taste of mushrooms when I 'fried' them up with water rather than margarine or oil. I use enough water to keep them from burning but not so much that I have to pour it off when their done. OH, how it brings out their flavor! I tend to nibble on them before they make it to the main dish. Then I have to make more :)

hi treehugger...

sticky rice is dead easy - just make short grain brown rice as per usual, then stir in seasoned rice vinegar - i think 1 T to a cup maybe? sorry, i don't know the ratio ... start low and add if it's not to your liking - you don't want to put too much because it could get too sweet

seasoned rice vinegar is just vinegar with a bit of salt & sugar added - widely available here in canada

thanks for the mushroom tip ... i'm always drowning mine in olive oil!

tara (a treehugger too)

-

treehuggercritterlover <treehuggercritterlover

January 26, 2003 3:32 AM

Simple foods

Wow. Did I find the right group to chat with or what!! I would love to hear some recipes for simple foods. I am not much of a cook. I am learning that I can eat the same food everyday for lunch at work for going on seven months now. Adams peanut butter, soy margarine, low sugar jam and Eziekel bread. I was a vegetarian for six years before I upgraded to veganism about seven months ago. Being a vegetarian in the kitchen was easier. I just added cheese to everything and added alot of it. I am curious about rice recipes. I LOVE Thai peanut sauce but have yet to find a recipe for it. I hope the lady did not fib to me when I asked her if it had animal by-products in it. How do you make sticky rice? I like to use chop sticks but would rather not eat my rice a grain at a time. Thank you. I don't have much to contribute in trade for recipes but I was excited when I discovered the incredible taste of mushrooms when I 'fried' them up with water rather than margarine or oil. I use enough water to keep them from burning but not so much that I have to pour it off when their done. OH, how it brings out their flavor! I tend to nibble on them before they make it to the main dish. Then I have to make more :)