> Judy Power <powersec2000

>Re: silly question ...

>

>

>I have one that someone might help me with. I lost 5 pounds since going

>from Vegetarian to Vegan. I only weigh 111 pounds and today the doctor told

>me at 50 I had better start gaining weight. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

>Judy

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Thank you for the kind post. I already have severe advanced osteoporosis. All that I can do is walk for exercise. I can't lift more than 3 pounds since my bones are breaking right and left. I do Tai Chi though. Judy

Dunno Nuttin <peacedabear wrote:

Hey Judy,Have you considered weight workouts? Do you do cardio at all? Exercise and weight workouts will help you to gain muscle.. which *always* looks much better than just added weight to any frame. You can weigh 110 and still look very healthy with good muscle tone. And.. it helps prevent osteoporosis (as well as aging!):-)Good luck:-)Dolly> Judy Power <powersec2000>Re: silly question ...>>>I have one that someone might help me with. I lost 5 pounds since going >from Vegetarian to Vegan. I only weigh 111 pounds and today the doctor told >me at 50 I had better start gaining weight. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks >Judy_______________Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

hi judy, i would be inclined to trust your body over your doctor ... i know many people who found their natural body weight after becoming vegan - maybe this is a healthy weight for you (and your bones) to support ?

i think as long as you ensure you are taking in enough fats (efas, omegas) and balancing out the grains, veggies, fruits & nuts etc then you should be okay - if you were losing weight because you weren't eating enough, then i would worry, but if you are eating well i would give it more time before really worrying

best wishes

tara

Thanks Tara, You are right, I am tiny with a very small frame. I feel good around 118 and have never been able to go higher than that. I will have to get a good Vegan book to make sure that I am getting all that I need. Thanks again. Judy

Peter Long & /or Tara Treanor <p-pie wrote:

hi judy, i would be inclined to trust your body over your doctor ... i know many people who found their natural body weight after becoming vegan - maybe this is a healthy weight for you (and your bones) to support ?

i think as long as you ensure you are taking in enough fats (efas, omegas) and balancing out the grains, veggies, fruits & nuts etc then you should be okay - if you were losing weight because you weren't eating enough, then i would worry, but if you are eating well i would give it more time before really worrying

best wishes

tara

Go see a Nutritionist. Preferably one with knowledge of a Vegan Lifestyle. They know what your body needs and how you can take in the proper nutrients. If they are familiar w/ Veganism, then they will be better suited to help you find the proper foods.

Ross

----

Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:06:45 PM

Re: To Judy

Thanks Tara, You are right, I am tiny with a very small frame. I feel good around 118 and have never been able to go higher than that. I will have to get a good Vegan book to make sure that I am getting all that I need. Thanks again. Judy Peter Long & /or Tara Treanor <p-pie wrote:

best wishes

tara

Judy,

You can also pick up the book "Becoming Vegan" it is written by two Canadian nutritionists that are Vegan themselves. It should also help you with knowing if you are getting all you could.

(food wise that is)

Sincerely,

Sherrilee

tecwynus

MSN Messenger ID: tecwynus

Thanks Ross, I will get out the yellow pages tomorrow and look around. I would be using the Redding, CA book and there are not any vegie restaruants in this town, but I may find someone. Judy

Ross Kennedy <cajun_libra_ram wrote:

Go see a Nutritionist. Preferably one with knowledge of a Vegan Lifestyle. They know what your body needs and how you can take in the proper nutrients. If they are familiar w/ Veganism, then they will be better suited to help you find the proper foods.

Ross

----

Wednesday, February 19, 2003 5:06:45 PM

Re: To Judy

Thanks Tara, You are right, I am tiny with a very small frame. I feel good around 118 and have never been able to go higher than that. I will have to get a good Vegan book to make sure that I am getting all that I need. Thanks again. Judy Peter Long & /or Tara Treanor <p-pie wrote:

best wishes

tara

Thank you! My health food store didn't have one Vegan book. I will look at Barnes and Noble or here online. Judy

tecwynus wrote:

Judy, You can also pick up the book "Becoming Vegan" it is written by two Canadian nutritionists that are Vegan themselves. It should also help you with knowing if you are getting all you could. (food wise that is)Sincerely, Sherrilee tecwynusMSN Messenger ID: tecwynus