IndiaDivine.org

REQUEST: vegan soul food recipes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have a friend who recently converted to veganism. short story: she's black & she loves her soul food. :-) does anyone have any good vegan soul food recipes or vegetarian versions that can easily be converted? thanks!

megan

Guest guest

I may have sent this suggestion recently, but I take a can of beans and a can of greens and mix with a couple of cups of cooked rice. I season with chili powder and hot sauce.

Another thing I've done is slice tofu as thin as possible, rub it with a dry catfish seasoning, and bake in the oven at about 375 for 25 minutes or so.

There are a couple of canned greens brands I've found at Kroger, but watch Glory Foods because they are not vegetarian, so far as what I've found. You can also find greens in the freezer section. Of course, all of that is specific to location, even within my city it depends which Kroger I go to as to what they carry.

The best!

Eric

-

Megan Milligan

WorldVegs ; ; pagan_vegetarians ;

Saturday, July 12, 2003 2:10 PM

REQUEST: vegan soul food recipes

I have a friend who recently converted to veganism. short story: she's black & she loves her soul food. :-) does anyone have any good vegan soul food recipes or vegetarian versions that can easily be converted? thanks!

megan

Guest guest

I use Vegemite to flavor my blackeyed peas. I love fresh blackeyed peas in a sort of a light gravy. I use Vegemite to get a slightly meaty flavor by dissolving it in the gravy.

I do stir fried collards in EarthBalance, yum.

Cornbread recipes...check out www.vegweb.com and look for them there.

If she finds a good vegan recipe (or has one I can play with converting) for hoecakes, she had better fork it over!!!!

__ IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here