IndiaDivine.org

RECIPE: Hummas B'Tahini Soup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This recipe is from www.soupsong.com

Megan

==============================================================

Hummus B'Tahini Soup(Mideast Chickpea Soup)* Based on the marvelous Mideast mezza, this soup is a filling lunch, when accompanied with lots of pita bread and salad; serve hot to 4 people.1 15-oz. tin of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) 1 teaspoon salt 2 cloves garlic 1/4 cup tahini (pureed raw sesame seeds, found in most supermarkets) 1/4 cup lemon juice 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock Garnish: cayenne pepper, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil

Reserve 3 whole chickpeas per serving for garnish. Drain chickpea liquid into a large saucepan, then puree the remaining chickpeas with salt, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice, until it is the consistency of a thick, creamy paste.

Bring the chicken stock and chickpea liquid to a boil, then whisk in the hummus paste. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.

When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved chickpeas, parsley, sprinklings of lemon juice, and cayenne. Drizzle a little olive oil on the top. Serve with warm slices of pita bread.

Guest guest

Hummus B'Tahini Soup

(Mideast Chickpea Soup)

Thanks! This sounds like something I'd love. A local health food store had an overstock on organic tahini, selling it 2 jars for $5.00, and I couldn't resist, so I bought 4 big jars. Now I'm in need of tahini recipes. I make hummus twice a week but 4 jars is going to last a loooong time.

Gloria

Guest guest

look for some uncheese recipes. a lot of them (especially the uncheese cookbook by joanne stepaniak) rely on tahini (aside from lemon juice & nutritional yeast) to give a cheesy flavor. :)

megan

-

MorningGlory113

Sunday, August 03, 2003 6:13 AM

Re: RECIPE: Hummas B'Tahini Soup

Hummus B'Tahini Soup(Mideast Chickpea Soup)Thanks! This sounds like something I'd love. A local health food store had an overstock on organic tahini, selling it 2 jars for $5.00, and I couldn't resist, so I bought 4 big jars. Now I'm in need of tahini recipes. I make hummus twice a week but 4 jars is going to last a loooong time.Gloria