IndiaDivine.org

From Sandy - Beans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

, Sandy Abernathy

<Sandra_Abernathy@Y...> wrote:

>

> Hello. I am new to this group. I have a question.

> I seem to have a problem digesting beans. Any

> suggestions or helpful hints on how to cook the

> beans or process them so I can enjoy them?

> HEELLLPPP!

>

> Sandy

I agree with the previous tip about not cooking the beans in the same

water you soak them in. Also, I had read a while back in a cookbook

(the title escapes me now) that adding a stick of kombu to the beans

while they cook helps reduce their flatulence-producing properties.

I did try this and am not sure if it helped or not. (I removed the

kombu after cooking, I don't like the slimy-ness of it)

I find that some beans are indigestible for me no matter what. I

cannot tolerate navy beans. I have to be careful not to consume too

many chickpeas or kidneys. Yet great northerns and canellini give me

no problems. I guess everyone's body chemistry is different, and you

will have to figure out which ones you can handle.

Guest guest

Soak them overnight in baking soda and rinse well in the morning and cook as normal. Takes the sting out of them. Judycheryll <naturalist_44240 wrote:

, Sandy Abernathy <Sandra_Abernathy@Y...> wrote:> > Hello. I am new to this group. I have a question.> I seem to have a problem digesting beans. Any> suggestions or helpful hints on how to cook the> beans or process them so I can enjoy them?> HEELLLPPP!> > SandyI agree with the previous tip about not cooking the beans in the same water you soak them in. Also, I had read a while back in a cookbook (the title escapes me now) that adding a stick of kombu to the beans while they cook helps reduce their flatulence-producing properties. I did try this and am not sure if it helped or not. (I removed the kombu after cooking, I don't like the slimy-ness of it)I find that some beans are indigestible for me no matter what. I cannot

tolerate navy beans. I have to be careful not to consume too many chickpeas or kidneys. Yet great northerns and canellini give me no problems. I guess everyone's body chemistry is different, and you will have to figure out which ones you can handle.

Guest guest

Try eating ginger after eating beans or use ginger as a garnish on beans. Ginger helps digestion and this may help you.

Maya Rao

-

Judy

Wednesday, August 06, 2003 8:10 AM

Re: Re: From Sandy - Beans

Soak them overnight in baking soda and rinse well in the morning and cook as normal. Takes the sting out of them. Judycheryll <naturalist_44240 wrote: , Sandy Abernathy <Sandra_Abernathy@Y...> wrote:> > Hello. I am new to this group. I have a question.> I seem to have a problem digesting beans. Any> suggestions or helpful hints on how to cook the> beans or process them so I can enjoy them?> HEELLLPPP!> > SandyI agree with the previous tip about not cooking the beans in the same water you soak them in. Also, I had read a while back in a cookbook (the title escapes me now) that adding a stick of kombu to the beans while they cook helps reduce their flatulence-producing properties. I did try this and am not sure if it helped or not. (I removed the kombu after cooking, I don't like the slimy-ness of it)I find that some beans are indigestible for me no matter what. I cannot tolerate navy beans. I have to be careful not to consume too many chickpeas or kidneys. Yet great northerns and canellini give me no problems. I guess everyone's body chemistry is different, and you will have to figure out which ones you can handle.