IndiaDivine.org

Thanksgiving

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't think that one's political or social concerns regarding Thanksgiving (or any other issue) should be raised on a group discussing recipes. I believe there are other forums to which such a discussion would be more germane.

But, since the issue has been raised, I am a vegan and I plan on celebrating Thanksgiving with a friend's family who dine on the "traditional" Thanksgiving fare. Although I do strongly believe in the many reasons for veganism, I also believe that Thanksgiving is one of the rare American holidays that all can enjoy. As a Hindu of South Asian descent who finds that most official "holidays" are overly patriotic or Christian, I feel that the meaning of Thanksgiving - ranging from a harvest festival to a simple, yet profound, offering of thanks for the many things we take for granted - is one that transcends race, religion, and nationality, despite its dubious origins. As such, I feel that the one who derides Thanksgiving may be looking at things a little too narrowly.

On Thanksgiving, I will be happy for the harvest that has allowed me to eat well and I will also be grateful to my friend's family, who offered their home and their table to me because I was not able to spend the holiday with my own family. Because they are not vegan, they are not bad people nor do they deserve my enmity. We live in a society where people are free to make their own choices. Open discussion and debate regarding these issues should be welcomed, and indeed, I have witnessed that such debate has resulted in change in the behaviors of many.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Kumar

S wrote: