IndiaDivine.org

Thanksgiving/Christi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thank you Christi for removing him!

KatieS W <vegan888 wrote:

Bye, bye Mark!Members who post messages like this will be removed.-Christi--- Mark Jones <icetea4jooonesy wrote:> I plan on celebrating my forefathers leberating> North America by eating a turkey and some pumpkin> pie (with whey)............I may even have some ham.> > > > Mark Jones> > > Kumar Chandran <chandran1011 wrote:> I don't think that one's political or social> concerns regarding Thanksgiving (or any other issue)> should be raised on a group discussing recipes. I> believe there are other forums to which such a> discussion would be more germane.> > But, since the issue has been raised, I am a vegan> and I plan on celebrating Thanksgiving with a> friend's family

who dine on the "traditional"> Thanksgiving fare. Although I do strongly believe> in the many reasons for veganism, I also believe> that Thanksgiving is one of the rare American> holidays that all can enjoy. As a Hindu of South> Asian descent who finds that most official> "holidays" are overly patriotic or Christian, I feel> that the meaning of Thanksgiving - ranging from a> harvest festival to a simple, yet profound, offering> of thanks for the many things we take for granted -> is one that transcends race, religion, and> nationality, despite its dubious origins. As such,> I feel that the one who derides Thanksgiving may be> looking at things a little too narrowly.> > On Thanksgiving, I will be happy for the harvest> that has allowed me to eat well and I will also be> grateful to my friend's family, who offered their> home and their

table to me because I was not able to> spend the holiday with my own family. Because they> are not vegan, they are not bad people nor do they> deserve my enmity. We live in a society where> people are free to make their own choices. Open> discussion and debate regarding these issues should> be welcomed, and indeed, I have witnessed that such> debate has resulted in change in the behaviors of> many.> > Happy Thanksgiving,> > Kumar> > S> > wrote:> > There are 4 messages in this issue.> > Topics in this digest:> > 1. Re: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving - Fast 2003> "N. Braswell" > 2. Garbanzo Croquettes> "N. Braswell" > 3. RE: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving - Fast 2003 11/12/03> "Elite" > 4. Re: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving - Fast 2003

11/12/03> "fidyl" > > >______________________>______________________> > Message: 1> Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:30:31 -0700> "N. Braswell" > Re: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving - Fast 2003> > At 12:47 PM 11/11/2003 +0000, fidyl wrote:> > >Oh, no! Here it comes again! Those dreaded holidays> where Vegans> >waffle between:> > > > > That's right! I said FASTING. I will be fasting> this ThanXgiving> > again - this has been a tradition since 1998. I> hope some list members> > will be joining me on this day of torture, death,> greed, selfishness> > and debauchery by doing the same.> > Your devotion and passion are inspirational, and I'd> bet most of us

would agree with the premise behind> it. That said, I believe that celebrating with a> delicious cruelty-free vegan feast makes a highly> profound statement, dispensing as it does, with the> turkey and any other animal foods which might be> served. A stuffed squash, or a wonderful> nut/grain/legume loaf and potatoes with gravy, with> seasonal vegetables, fruits, salads, side dishes,> vegan pumpkin, pecan and/or apple pies or maybe a> delightful tofu chocolate mousse, for example, send> the ultimate message of celebration of life and> gratitude for a good harvest, IMO.> > > My fast is in HONOR/REMEMBERENCE/REVERENCE of the> MILLIONS of animals> > that are tortured and abused, then slaughtered> just for this one (1)> > day alone in the U.S.> > I don't dispute the fact that short-term fasting is> definitely a good thing for those who can

tolerate> it. In the long term though, keeping a vegan diet> shows reverence our animal buddies *every* day of> the year.> > Best,> Nancy> > > >______________________>______________________> > Message: 2> Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:31:33 -0700> "N. Braswell" > Garbanzo Croquettes> > > * Exported from MasterCook *> > Garbanzo Croquettes> > Recipe By :> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00> Categories : Entree Grains> Legumes Vegan> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method> -------- ------------> --------------------------------> 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzos -- coarsely blended> 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice> 2 slices bread --

crumbled, soaked in> 1/4 cup garbanzo broth> 2 tablespoons peanut or nut butter> 1/2 cup chopped pecans -- finely chopped> 2 tablespoons chopped onion, OR> 1 tablespoon onion powder> 2 tablespoons soy sauce> 2 tablespoons oil> 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning> 1/2 teaspoon salt> 1/2 teaspoon celery seed> bread crumbs -- to make desired consistency> > Mix well with hands and form into croquettes. Roll> in breading meal and sprinkle with oil. Bake at 375> F for 45 minutes. Serve with gravy.> > Can also be shaped into patties.> > Source:> "A Good Cook - Ten Talents"> S(Formatted by):> "N. Braswell, Nov-11-2003"> Copyright:> "1968, Dr. Frank J. Hurd D.C., Rosalie Hurd B.S."> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 492 Calories;> 24g Fat (43.0% calories

from fat); 13g Protein; 59g> Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol;> 893mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2> Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fat.> > > Nutr. Assoc. : 618 0 0 0 26964 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0> > > > > >______________________>______________________> > Message: 3> Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:42:32 -0700> "Elite" > RE: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving - Fast 2003> 11/12/03> > I BELIEVE THIS IS SPAM.> I AM GETTING IT EVERYWHERE.> SOME CHECK THIS PERSON OUT. OK.> > > > === message truncated ===Protect your identity with Mail AddressGuardhttp://antispam./whatsnewfree