IndiaDivine.org

shellac/confectioner's glaze

Rate this topic

Guest guest

..the first clue i had was when i went to the grocery store the other day....to get some bulk candy. on one bin's ingredients it said .... Confectioner's glaze, and in parentheses "edible shellac". now, i know shellac is not vegetarian/vegan. but i had no idea confectioner's glaze was a form of shellac.

i did some research, and indeed,it is.

did anyone else know this??

it's not in the vegan / vegetarian ingredients book i have, nor is it mentioned in any vegetarian websites i've seen so far. how come?

love,

angela'

here's some cut and paste.

The Shellac Story

Shellac, like silk, honey, and beeswax, is made by bugs, not of bugs. Laccifer lacca, a small insect about the size and color of an apple seed, swarms on certain trees in India and Thailand. Like most bugs, it eats during its larval stage, then settles down and creates a sort of cocoon in which to mature. In this case, the bugs create a huge, hard, waterproof, communal protective shell on the branches of the trees they live on. Soon, the adult males emerge from the shell and fly away. The females do not fly -- they attach permanently to the tree and stay there. Once the males have gone, natives collect the branches and scrape off the hard crust. This gets crumbled into what we call "seedlac." Seedlac is filtered to remove any random bits of bark and bug legs to make shellac. Along with the resin we

use as a coating, shellac contains varying amounts of a natural dye, which is why shellac comes in different colors. The dye color varies with the season of the year and the type and geographical locale of the tree, and ranges from dark black "dreg" shellac to almost crystal clear "platina." It also contains about 5% wax, which it is believed is from wax "breathing tubes" the larva create in the shellac shell. In the course of processing shellac, we sometimes remove the wax (to make dewaxed shellac) and also filter out or bleach out some or all of the color (to make clear or blond shellac from the more common orange shellac.) The locals keep a certain percentage of the branches intact, specifically those with high concentrations of live female lac bugs. These are tied onto other, uninfected trees so that the next generation of lac bugs produced by the female will have something to eat. It also limits the damage to any one tree, thus making the whole

system endlessly cyclical. In this way, you could say that the lac bug is "raised commercially," though other than moving them to new trees, nothing else is needed. Beetles, like the lac bug, tend to thrive without our help, as anyone with a cockroach problem will certainly tell you. As for how many beetles are needed, the answer is "fewer than there are." To the best of my knowledge, the world wide demand for shellac has never exceeded the supply, and my sources tell me it is not in any danger of doing so now. Most shellac today is used by the food and drug industries as coatings for food, fruit, candy, vitamins, and medicine. One of its more interesting uses is in time release medicine. Shellac is thoroughly impervious to acid, but breaks down in alkaline (basic) solutions. Imagine if you coated half the medicine in a tablet with shellac. Your mouth and stomach are acidic environments, but your intestines are alkaline. The

uncoated medicine starts dissolving immediately in your mouth and stomach, but the coated portion only starts to work after it makes its way down into your intestines, some time later. Hence, time release medicine. Chances are good that you have eaten shellac. Many common candies, such as Whoppers malted milk balls, Raisinettes, Junior Mints, and lots of Easter candy are coated in shellac to make it shiny and prevent the candy from sticking together in the bag. If you are curious whether your favorite candy is coated, look on the ingredients list, but don't look for the word shellac. In the candy industry, it is called confectioner's glaze, food glaze, or confectioner's resin. In the dim past, shellac was harvested not for the resin we know, but for the natural dye I spoke of. Because true red dyes were once very hard to come by, shellac dye (which is red) was quite valuable -- vastly more valuable than the resin, which was

little more than a by product. It was so valuable that one large shellac processor, Angelo Bros., saw fit to build a huge new processing plant in Calcutta in 1855. That was a masterpiece of bad timing. One year later, in 1856, a guy named Perkins developed the first synthetic aniline dyes from coal tar, which for the first time in history made red dye cheap enough so that it was no longer practical to extract from shellac.

New Photos - easier uploading and sharing

seriously, people are so weird...what the hell would make them start using

this??

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, angel A wrote:

> .the first clue i had was when i went to the grocery store the other day....to

get some bulk candy. on one bin's ingredients it said .... Confectioner's glaze,

and in parentheses " edible shellac " . now, i know shellac is not

vegetarian/vegan. but i had no idea confectioner's glaze was a form of shellac.

> i did some research, and indeed,it is.

> did anyone else know this??

> it's not in the vegan / vegetarian ingredients book i have, nor is it

mentioned in any vegetarian websites i've seen so far. how come?

> love,

> angela'

>

> here's some cut and paste.

>

> The Shellac Story

>

> Shellac, like silk, honey, and beeswax, is made by bugs, not of bugs.

Laccifer lacca, a small insect about the size and color of an apple seed, swarms

on certain trees in India and Thailand. Like most bugs, it eats during its

larval stage, then settles down and creates a sort of cocoon in which to mature.

In this case, the bugs create a huge, hard, waterproof, communal protective

shell on the branches of the trees they live on. Soon, the adult males emerge

from the shell and fly away. The females do not fly -- they attach permanently

to the tree and stay there.

> Once the males have gone, natives collect the branches and scrape off the

hard crust. This gets crumbled into what we call " seedlac. " Seedlac is filtered

to remove any random bits of bark and bug legs to make shellac. Along with the

resin we use as a coating, shellac contains varying amounts of a natural dye,

which is why shellac comes in different colors. The dye color varies with the

season of the year and the type and geographical locale of the tree, and ranges

from dark black " dreg " shellac to almost crystal clear " platina. " It also

contains about 5% wax, which it is believed is from wax " breathing tubes " the

larva create in the shellac shell. In the course of processing shellac, we

sometimes remove the wax (to make dewaxed shellac) and also filter out or bleach

out some or all of the color (to make clear or blond shellac from the more

common orange shellac.)

> The locals keep a certain percentage of the branches intact, specifically

those with high concentrations of live female lac bugs. These are tied onto

other, uninfected trees so that the next generation of lac bugs produced by the

female will have something to eat. It also limits the damage to any one tree,

thus making the whole system endlessly cyclical. In this way, you could say that

the lac bug is " raised commercially, " though other than moving them to new

trees, nothing else is needed. Beetles, like the lac bug, tend to thrive without

our help, as anyone with a cockroach problem will certainly tell you.

> As for how many beetles are needed, the answer is " fewer than there are. "

To the best of my knowledge, the world wide demand for shellac has never

exceeded the supply, and my sources tell me it is not in any danger of doing so

now.

> Most shellac today is used by the food and drug industries as coatings for

food, fruit, candy, vitamins, and medicine. One of its more interesting uses is

in time release medicine. Shellac is thoroughly impervious to acid, but breaks

down in alkaline (basic) solutions. Imagine if you coated half the medicine in a

tablet with shellac. Your mouth and stomach are acidic environments, but your

intestines are alkaline. The uncoated medicine starts dissolving immediately in

your mouth and stomach, but the coated portion only starts to work after it

makes its way down into your intestines, some time later. Hence, time release

medicine.

> Chances are good that you have eaten shellac. Many common candies, such as

Whoppers malted milk balls, Raisinettes, Junior Mints, and lots of Easter candy

are coated in shellac to make it shiny and prevent the candy from sticking

together in the bag. If you are curious whether your favorite candy is coated,

look on the ingredients list, but don't look for the word shellac. In the candy

industry, it is called confectioner's glaze, food glaze, or confectioner's

resin.

> In the dim past, shellac was harvested not for the resin we know, but for

the natural dye I spoke of. Because true red dyes were once very hard to come

by, shellac dye (which is red) was quite valuable -- vastly more valuable than

the resin, which was little more than a by product. It was so valuable that one

large shellac processor, Angelo Bros., saw fit to build a huge new processing

plant in Calcutta in 1855. That was a masterpiece of bad timing. One year later,

in 1856, a guy named Perkins developed the first synthetic aniline dyes from

coal tar, which for the first time in history made red dye cheap enough so that

it was no longer practical to extract from shellac.

>

>

> New Photos - easier uploading and sharing

Shawna Marie Schwalenberg

seriously, people are so weird...what the hell would make them start usingthis??What was the person thinking who first approached a cow and began squeezing its utters and then drank what came out. I wonder if he/she first tried a bull -- no, I don't want to think...

i've seen confectioner's glaze in ingredients lists for years. mostly on candy. i always just figured it was some sort of vegetable wax or something. never gave any thought to it until i saw that candy bin. yea, it is gross. but, keep your eye open, now that you know "what it is", you'll start seeing it Everywhere!!!

love

angelaShawna Marie Schwalenberg <shawnam wrote:

seriously, people are so weird...what the hell would make them start usingthis??On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, angel A wrote:> .the first clue i had was when i went to the grocery store the other day....to get some bulk candy. on one bin's ingredients it said .... Confectioner's glaze, and in parentheses "edible shellac". now, i know shellac is not vegetarian/vegan. but i had no idea confectioner's glaze was a form of shellac. > i did some research, and indeed,it is.> did anyone else know this??> it's not in the vegan / vegetarian ingredients book i have, nor is it mentioned in any vegetarian websites i've seen so far. how come?> love,> angela'> > here's some cut and paste.> > The Shellac Story > > Shellac, like silk, honey, and beeswax, is made by bugs,

not of bugs. Laccifer lacca, a small insect about the size and color of an apple seed, swarms on certain trees in India and Thailand. Like most bugs, it eats during its larval stage, then settles down and creates a sort of cocoon in which to mature. In this case, the bugs create a huge, hard, waterproof, communal protective shell on the branches of the trees they live on. Soon, the adult males emerge from the shell and fly away. The females do not fly -- they attach permanently to the tree and stay there. > Once the males have gone, natives collect the branches and scrape off the hard crust. This gets crumbled into what we call "seedlac." Seedlac is filtered to remove any random bits of bark and bug legs to make shellac. Along with the resin we use as a coating, shellac contains varying amounts of a natural dye, which is why shellac comes in different colors. The dye color varies with the season of the year and the type and geographical locale of the

tree, and ranges from dark black "dreg" shellac to almost crystal clear "platina." It also contains about 5% wax, which it is believed is from wax "breathing tubes" the larva create in the shellac shell. In the course of processing shellac, we sometimes remove the wax (to make dewaxed shellac) and also filter out or bleach out some or all of the color (to make clear or blond shellac from the more common orange shellac.) > The locals keep a certain percentage of the branches intact, specifically those with high concentrations of live female lac bugs. These are tied onto other, uninfected trees so that the next generation of lac bugs produced by the female will have something to eat. It also limits the damage to any one tree, thus making the whole system endlessly cyclical. In this way, you could say that the lac bug is "raised commercially," though other than moving them to new trees, nothing else is needed. Beetles, like the lac bug, tend to thrive

without our help, as anyone with a cockroach problem will certainly tell you. > As for how many beetles are needed, the answer is "fewer than there are." To the best of my knowledge, the world wide demand for shellac has never exceeded the supply, and my sources tell me it is not in any danger of doing so now. > Most shellac today is used by the food and drug industries as coatings for food, fruit, candy, vitamins, and medicine. One of its more interesting uses is in time release medicine. Shellac is thoroughly impervious to acid, but breaks down in alkaline (basic) solutions. Imagine if you coated half the medicine in a tablet with shellac. Your mouth and stomach are acidic environments, but your intestines are alkaline. The uncoated medicine starts dissolving immediately in your mouth and stomach, but the coated portion only starts to work after it makes its way down into your intestines, some time later. Hence, time

release medicine. > Chances are good that you have eaten shellac. Many common candies, such as Whoppers malted milk balls, Raisinettes, Junior Mints, and lots of Easter candy are coated in shellac to make it shiny and prevent the candy from sticking together in the bag. If you are curious whether your favorite candy is coated, look on the ingredients list, but don't look for the word shellac. In the candy industry, it is called confectioner's glaze, food glaze, or confectioner's resin. > In the dim past, shellac was harvested not for the resin we know, but for the natural dye I spoke of. Because true red dyes were once very hard to come by, shellac dye (which is red) was quite valuable -- vastly more valuable than the resin, which was little more than a by product. It was so valuable that one large shellac processor, Angelo Bros., saw fit to build a huge new processing plant in Calcutta in 1855. That was a masterpiece of

bad timing. One year later, in 1856, a guy named Perkins developed the first synthetic aniline dyes from coal tar, which for the first time in history made red dye cheap enough so that it was no longer practical to extract from shellac. > > > > > > > > > > New Photos - easier uploading and sharing*******************************************************************Shawna Marie Schwalenberg

LOL!

so..along that same line,

......what was the person thinking who decided to roast and grind up some beans, run some hot water through it, add some more creamy bean substance, then added some evaporated & granulated plant juice, and call the result a beverage?

that !#%$ person got me addicted!

*wink*

love

angelaHotMail <sseric57 wrote:

seriously, people are so weird...what the hell would make them start usingthis??What was the person thinking who first approached a cow and began squeezing its utters and then drank what came out. I wonder if he/she first tried a bull -- no, I don't want to think...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... ;)

>

> What was the person thinking who first approached a cow and began squeezing

its utters and then drank what came out. I wonder if he/she first tried a bull

-- no, I don't want to think...

>

What was the person thinking who first approached a cow and began

squeezing its utters and then drank what came out.

-------------

or the person who decided to drink the rotten grape sludge goo, or

the guy who ate the curdled rotten mass that the milk became, or ther

courageous soul who ate the thing that popped out of the chicken's

rear end......