IndiaDivine.org

long JohnTofu and onion ring dinner -Junk food delight :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I eat fried food about once a year - this year when the craving it I found this terrific recipe from "Food Fight" http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/

modified it a bit and wanted to share this totally satisfying greasy junk food delight ! Boy do I wish we had a vegan junk food store here- i have to mail order nearly everything LOL!

Teresa

Long John Tofu and Onion ring dinner

ingredients;

3 cups vegetable oil 1 16-ounce package firm tofu 1 box Golden Dipt English-style Fish and Chips batter Old Bay or Creole seasoning ( Too your taste - I use 2 tablespoons )1 o large onion for 'tartar sauce'you will need 1 cup"nayonaise"(or other vegan mayo.) 2 tblspns ketchup1 dill pickle chopped fine salt and pepper to taste finely chopped onion/garlic optional

preparation;

.. Though you don't have to, it is best to freeze tofu in container and defrost for best texture . Drain the Tofu and press to remove most (but not all) of the liquid .2.Slice the tofu in strips or blocks as you prefer ,sprinkle with a light coating of seasoning and set aside .Slice onions in thick rings and set aside .3. Chop the dill pickle and Prepare tartar sauce by mixing Nayonaise ,ketchup and chopped dill in small bowl .you can add garlic ,salt ,pepper and finely chopped onions as well if desired.Cover and refrigerate .4. add oil to fryer or large pot . Heat over medium heat .5. prepare the Golden Dipt English-style Fish and Chips batter according to package directions.6.Test that oil is ready to begin frying by flicking a tiny amount of water onto the oil surface - when the oil is hot enough ,the water droplets will 'dance' atop the oil .7. Dunk the onion rings in the batter and fry , removing when golden brown to drain on paper towels ,salt as desired. 8. once all the onion rings are prepared add the old Bay or Creole Seasoning to the batter and coat the tofu slices . Fry them until golden brown ( about 3 minutes is all it takes ) drain on paper towels .9. Serve the fried tofu with the tartar sauce and onion rings