Guest guest

I'm not sure if this is totally off topic or not but it does pertain

to healthy day to day living.

I was considering introducing wheatgrass into my life. There are

growing kits you can purchase online and they promote the positive

aspects of wheatgrass but I haven't found too much info on side

effects. Is there anything that one should know when having

wheatgrass on a daily basis? I know that herbs can be dangerous if

not used right so I want to make sure I know everything about it.

Does anyone have this info or have a link to a good site about

wheatgrass?

Thanks again for your help!

Does anyone have this info or have a link to a good site about

wheatgrass?

I grow my own wheat grass and juice it. It's very easy to grow. You should start out slowly, as it's very strong and too much will make you throw up. It's not dangerous, even in larger amounts, but it has a powerful cleansing effect on the body and too much too soon could make you very nauseous. You start out with an ounce per day and build up from there. If you want to know how I grow it, let me know.

Gloria

Anthony Robbins gives a pretty big talk on wheat grass and alkalinizing your system with it or a Green Drink mix that he promotes, I can't do the mix while breast feeding because it has some herbs that can affect milk supply like ginseng,etc- nothing dangerous though, but I would love to know how to grow my own wheat grass. We just started juicing around here. I'd also love to know what grass juicers are good quality but inexpensive. You can probably find out lots more about wheat grass by looking up research on the benefits of an alkaline body system. There is a complete science to your ph levels and why you want them to be slightly alkaline for best health results, disease reversal, etc. I'm not a Tony Robbins expert- my dh listens to the tapes, but he had me listen to his alkalinity talk since apparently Robbins is a vegetarian and my dh the die hard meat eater knew I'd of course agree with what Robbins said about the health benefits of the lifestyle. You can put in a search for Green Drink and get links to the scientist research on alkalinity too.

Amissa

> > Does anyone have this info or have a link to a good site about wheatgrass?

>

.. If you want to know how I grow >it, let me know. > >Gloria > > > Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast reliable Internet access with prime features!

Gloria, I was just going to buy a wheatgrass kit, they don't seem to be very

much, $25 for 5lbs of seeds plus the trays, etc. Is this the best way or did

you not start with a kit?

>MorningGlory113

>

>

>Re: (semi off topic) wheatgrass

>Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:45:06 EST

>

>

> > Does anyone have this info or have a link to a good site about

> > wheatgrass?

>

>I grow my own wheat grass and juice it. It's very easy to grow. You should

>start out slowly, as it's very strong and too much will make you throw up.

>It's

>not dangerous, even in larger amounts, but it has a powerful cleansing

>effect

>on the body and too much too soon could make you very nauseous. You start

>out

>with an ounce per day and build up from there. If you want to know how I

>grow

>it, let me know.

>

>Gloria

>

>

>

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm & pgmarket=en-ca & RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com\

%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Amissa, thanks for this info, I'll go search for it now! :o)

> " Amissa Metcalf " <amissametcalf

>

>

>Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:25:11 -0600

>

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features & pgmarket=en-ca & RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.\

com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Anthony Robbins gives a pretty big talk on wheat grass and alkalinizing your system with it or a Green Drink mix that he promotes, I can't do the mix while breast feeding because it has some herbs that can affect milk supply like ginseng,etc- nothing dangerous though, but I would love to know how to grow my own wheat grass. We just started juicing around here. I'd also love to know what grass juicers are good quality but inexpensive. You can probably find out lots more about wheat grass by looking up research on the benefits of an alkaline body system. There is a complete science to your ph levels and why you want them to be slightly alkaline for best health results, disease reversal, etc. I'm not a Tony Robbins expert- my dh listens to the tapes, but he had me listen to his alkalinity talk since apparently Robbins is a vegetarian and my dh the die hard meat eater knew I'd of course agree with what Robbins said about the health benefits of the lifestyle. You can put in a search for Green Drink and get links to the scientist research on alkalinity too.

Amissa

> > Does anyone have this info or have a link to a good site about wheatgrass?

>

.. If you want to know how I grow >it, let me know. > >Gloria > > > Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast reliable Internet access with prime features!

Yah that is exactly right. It is still grass so it does not really count as

wheat and won't be harmfull to someone who has problems with gluten. When it

is still grass it counts as a vegetable and from what I've read it is highly

concentrated with nutrients. It absorbs around 97 of the 102 nutrients found

in soil, contains more vitamin C than an orange, and one pound of wheatgrass

equals something like 20 pounds of vegetables. Don't quote me on the numbers

but they are close.

Oh yah, and apparently it tastes aweful lol

-Abbey =)

> " Megan Milligan " <yasminduran

>

>

>Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:01:12 -0800

>

>another question, isn't wheatgrass nothing more than sprouted

>unhulled/unprocessed whole grain wheat?

>

>Megan

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Gloria, I was just going to buy a wheatgrass kit, they don't seem to be very

much, $25 for 5lbs of seeds plus the trays, etc. Is this the best way or did

you not start with a kit?

I, personally, didn't start with a kit. I won a manual Miracle wheatgrass juicer at auction on Ebay for $40. I buy my organic hard red wheat for 42 cents a lb. at a local Amish store (I live in PA). I went around to gardening stores and places like WalMart garden center, and asked them for trays that they use to sell plants (the big rectangle ones) and they just started giving them to me for free. They told me they just throw them out at the end of the day. I already knew how to sprout seeds, so I just did my usual sprouting routine for 2 days, and then planted the sprouts in organic soil and put the trays on the windowsill. I spritz the growing grass with water from a spray bottle everyday and the grass grows high enough in about 10 days. I cut the grass with scissors and juice it. It's very, very easy to grow wheat grass.

Gloria

Oh yah, and apparently it tastes aweful lol

I admit it tastes terrible and I couldn't drink too much of it. Plus I only get about an ounce of wheatgrass juice from a whole tray. I think it depends on what kind of wheat you use. I have only tasted the stuff I grow myself, never had any other wheatgrass juice. Someone told me that my wheatgrass juice is sweeter than they kind they have gotten at a local juice bar. From what I've read, the sweeter the more powerful. But, yeah...it does taste yucky.lol! I just hold my breath and gulp it down! You can also mix it in with some carrot juice but some of the flavor still comes through.

Gloria

In a message dated 1/11/04 12:20:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, persian13 writes:

I would like to know about growing it, can you please send it to the list?

This is how I do it. It may sound complicated but it isn't. I just don't want to leave out any steps. Once you do it a couple times, it becomes very easy.

1. I buy organic hard red wheat. You can probably get it at a health food store. I get mine for 42 cents a lb. at a local Amish country store. Very inexpensive!

2. Rinse off about a cup of the wheat seeds (More if you are going to plant more then one tray). Then place them in a jar and fill it with water. Put a lid on the jar and let them soak overnight in a dark place. I put them in a kitchen cupboard.

3. The next day, drain the water from the seeds and place all the seeds in a wire mesh colander. Then place the colander over a deep bowl, put a plate on top of it and put it in a dark place. You want to keep the seeds moist but not soaking in water. Any excess water will drain into the bowl as the seeds sit.

4. The next day, run the seeds under some water. Again, put the plate back on the moist seeds and place over the bowl (empty the bowl of any water that drained into it from the previous day), put back in the cupboard. You can rinse them once or twice a day.

5. Repeat the rinsing process for another day or so. In about 3 days you will see spouts coming from the seeds. I let them get about a quarter inch long. They are then ready to plant.

6. Get a rectangle plant tray (preferably, but you can use any container at least an inch and a half deep), and spread some organic potting soil on the bottom. I make my soil about an inch deep. (Some people add a little powdered kelp to the soil, but I don't). Spritz the soil with water. You don't have to totally soak it but you want it moist. The trays I got from gardening stores have holes in the sides of them. I sometimes line them with paper towels ahead of time so the dirt doesn't fall out of the holes.

7. Sprinkle the sprouted seeds all over the top. It's ok if they overlap. It's almost impossible to separate each one. I just try to get them evenly distributed and cover the whole tray with the sprouts.

8. Put another light coating of organic soil over the top of the seeds, just enough to cover them, but not totally bury them in dirt. I just lightly sprinkle handfuls of soil over the top.

9. Spritz the entire tray with water. You don't want them to be too wet, but you want to keep them fairly moist.

10. Put the tray(s) on a windowsill. It should get some sun but it doesn't have be real sunny all day. I live in a fairly shady spot, but some light does come in my window, and my grass grows very well.

11. Everyday, maybe twice a day, spritz the grass with water. In about 4 days you will see the grass start to grow. Keep spritzing everyday.

12. Some people say the grass is ready when it's about 7-10 inches high. If it gets too high it will eventually turn yellow, fall over and die. Wheatgrass is also susceptible to mold, and if it grows for too long you will get mold on it. When it's about 8-10 inches high, I cut it with scissors and juice it. I found I have to plant new grass sprouts after I cut them. I was hoping new grass would just keep growing in the same tray, but it never happened. I just toss out the dirt and plant a new batch. If you want to juice an ounce everyday, you should probably have about 6 + trays growing. Otherwise you're going to have to wait another 10 days before you get more grass. Once you get it down, it's amazingly simple to do it.

If you have cats...a warning....they love the stuff and might start munching on it before it gets very high. I plant a tray just for them, hoping they leave the other trays alone. lol!

Gloria

In a message dated 1/11/04 4:23:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, djrockitgirl writes:

Well then I think the first thing I need to do is get a juicer and after

that it seems like it is all pretty easy :o)

Yes, you need a wheatgrass juicer. A regular vegetable juicer won't do it. Check out Ebay. Sometime the bids can go quite high....juicing wheatgrass is more popular than I once thought! My manual one works just fine. I bid on it and even though I never reached his reserve price, they guy later e-mailed me and said I could have it for $40. He had gotten a new electric one and just wanted to get rid of his manual one and he offered to just sell it to me.

I will probably write you with questions once I am set up and ready to go.

Feel free to ask me anything. Everyone does it differently. I just got into a routine and it works for me. Some people soak the wheat but don't sprout it first, and I think sprouting it speeds up the whole process.

Gloria

Thanks very much for that great explanation. Yes I have cats so I can give

some to them.

I woke up one morning and one of my cats was actually asleep in a tray of wheatgrass. Needless to say that became his own personal tray. It was totally squished.

The most difficult part of what you wrote, for me anyway, is what does the

hard wheat look like? I am not sure if I can buy it, but I have seen a wheat grass

juicer on sale so the wheat must be somewhere!

It's little and reddish brown. But don't go by looks. It should say it on the package. I suggest you go to a health food store, ask them where they have hard spring red wheat for juicing. They should carry it. Here is a link where you can just buy the grass without the whole kit. Just scroll down for the prices.

WheatgrassKits.com- wheat grass seed, barleygrass seed, organic wheat seed, buckwheat seed, sunflower seed, sprout seeds.

Gloria

Well then I think the first thing I need to do is get a juicer and after

that it seems like it is all pretty easy :o)

I will probably write you with questions once I am set up and ready to go.

>MorningGlory113

>

>

>Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:56:07 EST

>

>

> > Gloria, I was just going to buy a wheatgrass kit, they don't seem to be

> > very

> > much, $25 for 5lbs of seeds plus the trays, etc. Is this the best way or

>did

> >

> > you not start with a kit?

>

>I, personally, didn't start with a kit. I won a manual Miracle wheatgrass

>juicer at auction on Ebay for $40. I buy my organic hard red wheat for 42

>cents a

>lb. at a local Amish store (I live in PA). I went around to gardening

>stores

>and places like WalMart garden center, and asked them for trays that they

>use

>to sell plants (the big rectangle ones) and they just started giving them

>to

>me for free. They told me they just throw them out at the end of the day. I

>already knew how to sprout seeds, so I just did my usual sprouting routine

>for 2

>days, and then planted the sprouts in organic soil and put the trays on

>the

>windowsill. I spritz the growing grass with water from a spray bottle

>everyday

>and the grass grows high enough in about 10 days. I cut the grass with

>scissors and juice it. It's very, very easy to grow wheat grass.

>

>Gloria

>

> >

> >

>

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm & pgmarket=en-ca & RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com\

%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:45:06 -0500, MorningGlory113 wrote:

>

> on the body and too much too soon could make you very nauseous. You start out

> with an ounce per day and build up from there. If you want to know how I grow

> it, let me know.

>

> Gloria

>

I would like to know about growing it, can you please send it to the list?

Thanks a lot

Persian

Hi Gloria

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:35:30 -0500, MorningGlory113 wrote:

>

> If you have cats...a warning....they love the stuff and might start munching

> on it before it gets very high. I plant a tray just for them, hoping they

> leave the other trays alone. lol!

>

> Gloria

Thanks very much for that great explanation. Yes I have cats so I can give

some to them.

The most difficult part of what you wrote, for me anyway, is what does the

hard wheat look like? I am not sure if I can buy it, but I have seen a wheat

grass

juicer on sale so the wheat must be somewhere!

Thanks again, I have saved all your explanation,

best regards

Lyndsay