IndiaDivine.org

Sulfite 'free' vegan wines /Abbeys 22 YEAR journey to a diagnosis !

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Abbey, I'm glad to hear that someone was actually able to figure out what was causing your problem !!!! Since the age of 2 My allergy's have sent me into anaphylactic shock for MSG and some food dyes so my sulfite sensitivity seems relatively mild in comparison ... but my symptoms are completely different than yours . to suffer undiagnosed for 22 years as you did is awful :( I am very thankful you are improving and learning everything you can to deal with your dietary restrictions . the vast majority of Drs. simply do not educate their patients instead they just throw meds or surgery at us when sometimes all that is needed is a simple dietary or environment change , so I learned the hard way that in order to lead the best life possible despite whatever health restrictions a person may have really REQUIRES devoted self education on the part of the patient . Ive taught my Drs. a thing or 2 ( or 3 VBG)

Ive been to 2 E.N.T.s offices in just the last year , that the Drs. caused me to have asthma attacks during the exam because they were wearing perfume and cologne . This is absolutely infuriating to me since ENT's practices are made up of a large majority of Asthmatic children and adults as well as people who suffer from allergies ( both of whom are KNOWN to react negatively to strong fragrance and many be allergic to perfumes ,etc. ) The ignorance in the medical community is astounding !!! 1 of these doctors was actually annoyed when i told them that if they wanted to be an E.N.T. they should not wear fragrance since they would make and keep patients under their care ill especially children who might not know what was triggering the attack in the Drs. presence !!!! The other was more receptive and actually apologized -Anyway , best of luck to you .I'm so glad that you found a group of knowledgeable folks who can help direct and guide you .

Take care

teresa

Everything that has sulfites is out for me, that includes potatoes, corn, and grapes. Most other fruits and veggies seem to be okay. I also think I would be okay with organic potatoes, corn, and grapes and will be checking that in a while (after I get this cooking thing under wraps). I was sick and underweight for 22 years and despite many tests noone figured out what was wrong with me. Finally an allergenist recognized my symptoms and suggested msg and sulfite sensitivity. I tried for a year to cut out foods that were labelled as containing sulfites but still reacted and so now I am on a lifestyle change and completely cutting out all sulfite ingredients. Pectin is a hard one as I love yogurt and find a noticeable difference in my body's behavior when I go a week without it, it will probably be the last product I cut out. Basically though I am cutting out ALL commercially produced products except fruit juice (which does contain sulfites but I like juice too much) and the odd slice of pizza when my bf orders it. One hard thing has been corn ingredients as corn meal is an ingredient in a lot of recipes.I've learned so much this past month, I'm annoying the hell out of everyone I know because I'm always talking about hidden msg and sulfites in the foods they are eating lol-Abbey =)>"outonalimb" <outonalimb> >>Re: ingredient questions- Sulfite 'free' vegan >wines>Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:39:49 -0500>>yeah Abbey, it REALLY stinks doesn't it? ( ha ha I know you get the stupid >pun) LOL I was on the Samters Triad list a few years ago when i developed >that and got top notch inf. that saved me from surgery and almost >eliminated my polyps YEAH :)I have never joined the sulfite group though >maybe i should . Ive been sulfite sensitive my whole life ( used to have >anaphylactic shock reactions to lots of the 70s preservatives , dyes and >fruits and veggies back when they used to put that stuff on everything ! ) >but find that since i eat organic fresh whole foods its much better. Since >I'm a vegan i don't eat cheese anyway the only thing I miss is white wine >VBG are your fruit and veggie choices restricted ? I'm thankful that i can >eat a really diverse diet without reacting .>teresa>>----->>> Thanks for your reply, you confirmed what I suspected (that all wine> contains sulfites to some degree due to naturally occuring sulfites, it >is> the same with cheese). I have an extremely acute sensitivity and can't >touch> any products that contain sulfites at all without a reaction which is >why I> generally don't take the chance and was looking for a substitute.>> Are you on the no sulfites ? Lots of nice knowledgeable >people> there :)>> thanks again!> -Abbey =)>>> >>Im a sulfite sensitive asthmatic who loves wine :) but i don't get >to> >drink it much .> > unfortunately the truth is that all wines contain some sulfites >because>