IndiaDivine.org

Hi all/ cheese

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

One of the best (and healthiest) vegan cheeses is Follow Your Heart's Mozerella. After trying virtually every vegan cheese out there, I would have to say this one wins hands down. No casein or hidden milk protein either! And it melts really well, too and is great on homemade pizza. Follow Your Heart also makes the Vegenaise mayonnaise--essential for those in the vegan transition period.

Tofutti does make the best ice cream, cream cheese and sour cream though - try the sour cream with a veg. dip mix, you can't tell it apart from the dairy version!Marisa <marisadanley wrote:

Don't forget about Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream. They are fabulous. The downside is that they contain hydrogenated oils. However, I think they are the best replacement for cheese. Also, there are several un-cheese recipies out there that are great for mac 'n cheese, lasagna, etc... Giving up cheese isnt as hard as you might think. After a while, the thought of it even becomes gross. (Think of where it comes from!!) You'll get used to other things in place of the cheese. Just stop thinking of them as substitutes. Good luck!Marisa

Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.

Guest guest

I beg to differ about the best ice cream :-) Soy Delicious premium is incredible (it's about $3-4 per per pint, but soooo worth it.) Even my omnivore husband says he can't tell the difference. The regular in thequart size is okay, but the premium...ooo, la la!

McCormick's makes a ranch packet that you can mix with the Tofutti Sour Supreme that really takes care of my Ranch dressing urges.

Becoming vegan is not about being deprived, it just takes a while to learn the ropes!

Jaci in NC

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:04:17 -0800 (PST) Fluff <flufff_00 writes:

One of the best (and healthiest) vegan cheeses is Follow Your Heart's Mozerella. After trying virtually every vegan cheese out there, I would have to say this one wins hands down. No casein or hidden milk protein either! And it melts really well, too and is great on homemade pizza. Follow Your Heart also makes the Vegenaise mayonnaise--essential for those in the vegan transition period.

Tofutti does make the best ice cream, cream cheese and sour cream though - try the sour cream with a veg. dip mix, you can't tell it apart from the dairy version!Marisa <marisadanley wrote:

Don't forget about Tofutti cream cheese and sour cream. They are fabulous. The downside is that they contain hydrogenated oils. However, I think they are the best replacement for cheese. Also, there are several un-cheese recipies out there that are great for mac 'n cheese, lasagna, etc... Giving up cheese isnt as hard as you might think. After a while, the thought of it even becomes gross. (Think of where it comes from!!) You'll get used to other things in place of the cheese. Just stop thinking of them as substitutes. Good luck!Marisa

Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.

Jacalyn Ackerman, jaci_ackermanUS Equine Rescue League, Inc. http://www.ncerl.com"Many hands make light work."

Guest guest

tofutti is more widely available ( in my area ) , Soy Delicious is AWESOME but the choice is always limited to the same 2 flavors in my area as there is virtually no vegan community to speak of , but imo buying a cuisinart ice cream maker and making your own is the best way to go :) Its fun ,you know exactly what's in it and the possibilities are endlessly delicious -

my husband and I have adapted several really terrific tofu ice creams and sorbets and I just ordered a great recipe book for "Vice Creams" that are supposed to be to die for vegan 'ice creams " - I've been waiting nearly a year for this recipe book to become available . http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1587611996/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-3961471-7782367?%5Fencoding=UTF8 & m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

When i went vegan a fellow list member gave me really good advice about giving up dairy - don't try replacements for a month at least .Learn to eat without cheese .When you do try cheese substitutes remember that they will most likely NEVER taste exactly like the cheese you remember, but there are some excellent uncheese sauces as well as products like tofutti brand mozzarella slices (melts well but beware those hydrogenated oils ) and soymage 'cheeses" that are quite tasty :) The follow your heart brand is not available in my area :( I like to mix a tub of tofutti sour creme with a tub of toffutti cream cheese add lots of fresh herbs and garlic for a fresh deli style garlic and herb cream cheese that even my non vegan house guests rave about - I use it to top fresh gourmet bagels :)

it seems so strange sometimes but i have gone from dairy farm family raised ice cream and cheese fanatic to a very happy well fed vegan who is revolted by the thought of eating dairy ! LOL

as a bonus my C.O.P.D. has improved tremendously since i gave up that last little bit of dairy .Its really a wonderful feeling to do what you believe is right for your fellow creatures ,the planet ,mankind and then have the decision result in an AMAZING improvement in a serious disease that the Doctors 'cant ' explain !

teresa

PS I'm going to give your "ranch" dressing formula a try Jaci :)

McCormick's makes a ranch packet that you can mix with the Tofutti Sour Supreme that really takes care of my Ranch dressing urges.

Becoming vegan is not about being deprived, it just takes a while to learn the ropes!

Jaci in NC

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:04:17 -0800 (PST) Fluff <flufff_00 writes:

One of the best (and healthiest) vegan cheeses is Follow Your Heart's Mozerella. Marisa <marisadanley wrote:

.... Giving up cheese isnt as hard as you might think. After a while, the thought of it even becomes gross. (Think of where it comes from!!) You'll get used to other things in place of the cheese. Just stop thinking of them as substitutes. Good luck!Marisa