IndiaDivine.org

Mudslide Pie, Batty Baked Apple Treat, Spooktacular Onion Dip, Pumpkin Cookies, Apple-Walnut Cookies, Black Cat Bean Dip with Witches Hats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking for a few recipes I can make for my kids' Fall Parth next Friday. Thought I'd share some of them. I haven't made any of these yet but will be experimenting with them this next week before the party. I love being able to provide goodies for my kids' class. It tends to help the other kids see my kids as not being that different afterall. I will be making popcorn balls and cookies, and a Chek-like mix also to go in their goody bags. When I do this, I always send the recipes home with the goodies so that the parents will know what's in them. If any of you have any recipes that would work for a Fall Party, please pass them on.

God's Peace,

Gayle

Mudslide Pie

7 ounces vegan chocolate cookie crumbs, plus more for garnish 2 tablespoons Earth Balance (or other vegan non-hydrogenated margarine), melted 3 (1-quart) containers coffee ice soy Chocolate sauce Chopped nuts (optional)

Using a large mixing bowl, place cookie crumbs and melted butter. Mix until the ingredients are well blended and moist. Keep mixture at room temperature until needed for pie shells. Lightly spray 2 pie tins with vegetable oil. Place the prepared crust into the pie tins and press firmly on the bottom and sides of each tin, forming a smooth and even thickness approximately 1/8-inch thick. Use a ladle to even out the crusts. Place piecrusts in freezer before ice cream can be placed into crusts. Equally portion the ice cream into the pie shells. Mound the ice cream to create a 3-inch high dome. Use a glove and napkin to help with this process. Place pies on a sheet pan and place in the freezer for approximately 6 hours or more. To serve, Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with more cookie crumbs and chopped nuts, if desired.

Batty Baked Apple Treat

6 large red baking apples like Rome Beauty, Cortland, or Gala Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon 3 tablespoons Earth Balance (or other vegan, non-hydrogenated margarine), softened 3 packed tablespoons vegan dark brown sugar (I make my own by adding unsulphured molasses to ground up turbinado sugar) 1/4 cup dried currants 1/4 cup broken walnut pieces, toasted Six 3-inch whole cinnamon sticks 1/2 cup apple cider 1/2 cup dark rum, cider, or water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Slice off about 1/4-inch of the top of each apple. (The apple tops are perfect for snacking.) Scoop out the seeds and core of the apple with a melon-baller to make a pocket. Peel off about a 1/2-inch band of the apple's skin along the upper half of the apple with a vegetable peeler. Brush the peeled part and the interior of the apple with lemon juice.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, lemon zest, and sugar. Add the currants and nuts. Place some of the butter mixture and a cinnamon stick in each of the apples. Place the apples in an ovenproof baking dish just large enough to hold the apples upright. Pour in the cider and rum, bake until the apple is tender, about 30 minutes. Baste the apples with the cider/rum mixture with a bulb baster, 2 or 3 times, during baking. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped soy cream, or vanilla or cinnamon ice soy (to make cinnamon ice soy simple add cinnamon oil or powdered/grated cinnamon to vanilla ice soy) .

Spooktacular Onion Dip

3 medium onions, 2 unpeeled, 1 peeled 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil 2 cups nayonnaise (or other vegan mayonaise) 1/2 cup vegan sour cream 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar 2 teaspoons salt 2 scallions (white and green parts), minced Freshly ground black pepper Hot pepper sauce Veggies and/or chips, for serving

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Rub unpeeled onions with a bit of the olive oil; roast until soft, about 45 minutes. Cool and peel.

Finely dice the peeled raw onion. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add remaining oil and heat until quite hot. Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until edges begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Turn to medium-low and cook until onion is golden brown, about 18 minutes. Scrape onion, oil, and juices into a sieve over a bowl. Drain onions and spread on a paper towel-lined plate. Cool the strained oil.

Puree roasted onions in a food processor. Add nayonnaise, vegsn sour cream, vinegar, and salt; pulse until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup of the strained reserved oil. Transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in scallions, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Scatter the fried onions over the top just before serving with potato chips.

Pumpkin Cookies

This recipe makes: 42 cookies Preparation time : 15 minutes Cooking time : 15 minutes Ingredientsvegetable cooking spray 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed1/2 cup plain low-fat soy yogurt2 tablespoons vegetable oil1 teaspoon vanilla extract2 cups cake flour, sifted1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/2 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/4 teaspoon ground allspice1 cup golden raisinsCooking Instructions:1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray two baking sheets with vegetable cooking spray. 2. In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract until smooth. 3. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, baking soda and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just blended. Fold in the raisins. 4. Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets, leaving 1 1/2 inches between cookies. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. 5. Place the baking sheets on wire racks to cool. Remove the cookies with a spatula and cool completely.This recipe can be made ahead and the cookies stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Nutrition Facts:Serving Size 2 cookies, Amount Per Serving: Calories 77, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol mg, Sodium 93 mg, Total Carbohydrate 15 g, Dietary Fiber 0 g, Protein 1 g, Percent Calories from Fat 16%, Percent Calories from Protein 7%, Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 76%

Apple-Walnut Cookies This recipe makes: 36 Preparation time : 20 minutes Cooking time : 20 minutes Ingredientsvegetable cooking spray1 cup rolled oats1/2 cup walnuts, chopped1 cup whole wheat pastry flour1/2 teaspoon baking soda1/4 teaspoon baking powder1/4 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon1/4 teaspoon ground gingerEgg Replacer = to 1 egg

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and grated1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce1/2 cup vegan light brown sugar, packed3 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons vegetable oil1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract1/2 cup raisinsCooking Instructions:1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray the baking sheets with vegetable cooking spray. 2. Place the oats and nuts on a separate, unsprayed baking sheet and toast until golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside. 3. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger in a medium bowl. 4. Combine the egg whites, grated apple, applesauce, brown sugar, sugars, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Add the raisins and toasted oats and nuts. 5. Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets by tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart. 6. Bake the cookies one pan at a time until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks for 3 minutes before removing them from the pan. Cool cookies completely before serving. These cookies can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Nutrition Facts:Serving Size 2 cookies, Amount Per Serving: Calories 106, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol mg, Sodium 84 mg, Total Carbohydrate 16 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Protein 2 g, Percent Calories from Fat 32%, Percent Calories from Protein 9%, Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 58%

Black Cat Bean Dip with Witches Hats This recipe makes: 12 servings Preparation time : 15 minutes Ingredients1 tablespoon olive oil1/2 cup chopped onion1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic1/2 teaspoon cumin12 ounce can of black beans1 tablespoon lime juicesalt to tastefreshly ground black pepper6 pieces pita bread, cut into trianglesCooking Instructions1. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the cumin and cook until the onions are completely soft, about 3 minutes more. 2. Rinse and drain the black beans. 3. Puree the beans in a blender or food processor with onion mixture, lime juice, salt and pepper. 4. Serve with pita triangles (witches hats). Nutrition Facts:Serving Size about 2 tablespoons dip plus 2 pita triangles, Amount Per Serving Calories 111, Total Fat 1 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol mg, Sodium 373 mg, Total Carbohydrate 21 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Protein 4 g, Percent Calories from Fat 12%, Percent Calories from Protein 14%, Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 74%