IndiaDivine.org

new bread for a sandwich

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm hooked on the Food Net. I love watching and seeing what I can change in a recipe to make it vegan. Well, today on Rocker on the Road he did sandwiches and one of the places he went to a place that used plantains for the bread. Here's how they did it....

Peel on large plantain and slice in half length wise

deep fry until it floats

drain

press hot halves flat

deep fry to crisp

drain

make sandwich

of course the sandwiches they were making aren't vegan or even vegetarian but I can see great possibilities for this "bread".

A cozy place to shop!!! www.ninascountrybasket.com Business booster 101 with other WAHMs who like to have fun. Be a WAHM-shopper and lift your business to the topper. Monthly sales are guaranteed, just click here to get up to speed. Please use Marni as your sponsor!http://finance.wahmshoppers/

Hi Catherine,

plantains look just like bananas, they are cousins, maybe a little bigger, except they can never be eaten raw,

in the caribean,(puerto rico, dominican republic, jamaica etc.) it is part of the culture to eat one everyday since it is tropical, grows easily and it's cheap and abundant. It's known for its potassium and fiber. it is the potato of the caribean.

It is fasicnatin because they change to three colors, and each color has a different taste, first green, then yellow, then black. When they are black, they are the sweetest. the trick to keeping one green forever is to keep it in the refridgerator. at room temperature, it will turn colors, within a week.

here's more info and pictures.

http://www.turbana.com/produ_recipes/prodplantain.htm

-

Catherine Turner

2/2/2005 8:40:39 PM

RE: new "bread" for a sandwich

Hi people,

Sorry - what are plaintains? I've really never heard of them. Are they a vegetable or what?

Catherine

anouk sickler [zurumato]02 February 2005 04:51 Subject: RE: new "bread" for a sandwich

I think what that man was making is called Tostones, if I am not mistaken. I use to eat those with ketchup or garlic when I was little in dominican republic.

you can also boil them, and mash them up just like you would potatoes,

then put a little olive oil and salt or fried onions. (these are the green plaintains), it works the same for yellow ones.

The yellow ones, the darker they are the sweeter, you can also boil them, mash them up just like you would potatoes, then put a little cinammon on them.

That is how my aunt prepares them. She likes them as green as possible. The green ones are heck to peel.

-

go_vegan ;raw-vegan-gulfcoast ;united_vegan_homemakers ;Vegan ;Vegan- ; ; ;vegan-network

2/1/2005 1:10:40 PM

new "bread" for a sandwich

I'm hooked on the Food Net. I love watching and seeing what I can change in a recipe to make it vegan. Well, today on Rocker on the Road he did sandwiches and one of the places he went to a place that used plantains for the bread. Here's how they did it....

Peel on large plantain and slice in half length wise

deep fry until it floats

drain

press hot halves flat

deep fry to crisp

drain

make sandwich

of course the sandwiches they were making aren't vegan or even vegetarian but I can see great possibilities for this "bread".

To send an email to - To send an email to - To send an email to -