IndiaDivine.org

baked bean recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is a crockpot recipe but it can be done on the stove top as well. It's a Tex Mex Baked Bean dish.

2 cans Northern beans* 2 cans black beans* 1 4-oz. can chopped chilies* 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce* 3/4 C barbecue sauce* 3/4 C salsa* 1/4 C brown sugar* 1/4 cup chopped onions

I have noticed that a great deal of the recipes on the two vegetarian lists I belong too are southwestern/mexican in flavour.

My DH doesn't like Mexican at all, doesn't like anything much that contains tomatoes either, or salsa, chillies etc.

He is very fond of beans but not black ones. Hates TVP and tofu. I'm fighting a losing battle I feel.

Any suggestions for meals that vaguely resemble meat ones to try on him? Also need a receipe for a tried and true "brown" gravy. He is more receptive to new foods if I can smother them with gravy or ketchup.

Heather in Ontario

-

Kat

Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:00 AM

Re: baked bean recipe

This is a crockpot recipe but it can be done on the stove top as well. It's a Tex Mex Baked Bean dish.

Have you ever tried making a burger or loaf out of beans and veggies or rice?

I did a quick search on Recipezaar and found this bean burger recipe, which you could adapt to suit your tastes:

http://www.recipezaar.com/84509

and searching for lentil loaf provided many, many options:

http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=lentil+loaf

-ReneeOn 9/22/05, Heather O'Neil <diamyst wrote:

My DH doesn't like Mexican at all, doesn't like anything much that contains tomatoes either, or salsa, chillies etc.

He is very fond of beans but not black ones. Hates TVP and tofu. I'm fighting a losing battle I feel.

Any suggestions for meals that vaguely resemble meat ones to try on him? Also need a receipe for a tried and true " brown " gravy. He is more receptive to new foods if I can smother them with gravy or ketchup.

The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes cookbook is a really good one for those who like "meaty" comfort foods. In the book, there is an awesome "chicken-fried steak." Although it is made from tofu, I found it hardly resembled tofu. There are a lot of good Seitan recipes too. Good luck. Heather O'Neil <diamyst wrote:

Any suggestions for meals that vaguely resemble meat ones to try on him? Also need a receipe for a tried and true "brown" gravy. He is more receptive to new foods if I can smother them with gravy or ketchup.

Heather in Ontario

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

My DH doesn't like Mexican at all, doesn't

like anything much that contains tomatoes either, or salsa, chillies etc.

He is very fond of beans but not black ones.

Hates TVP and tofu. I'm fighting a losing battle I feel.

Any suggestions for meals that vaguely resemble meat ones

to try on him? Also need a receipe for a tried and true "brown"

gravy. He is more receptive to new foods if I can smother them with

gravy or ketchup.

Well, you may want to find a recipe for making gluton.

It has a little firmer consistancy than tofu and my mom used to use it

to make things like stew meat, burgers, and mock tomato basted chicken.

Personally, I think it tastes lots better than tofu. Especially if

you make a sauce to soak it in out of garlic, onion, and cellary.

Go light on the cellary.

Also, I've not tried it, but I've watched this guy

at this chinese vegitarian place near my house take tofu and grill it over

an open flame. Somehow he gets the edges to come out so the tofu

feels like beef with the grissle still on it. They use this in their

mock Mongolian beef dish. I was almost afraid to eat it the first

time, because I could have sworn it was real beef.

Corey...

Maybe you could try making him a vegan version of pasties? They are made to be smothered in ketsup and gravy :-)

GwenHeather O'Neil <diamyst wrote: