IndiaDivine.org

This is a vegan group, not a place to endorce eggs, cheese, & meat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Endorsing eggs, cheeses, and meats is counter to a vegan diet... if you are eating eggs dairy, and meat, you are not a vegan. If you are eating meats, you are not a vegan and you are not a vegetarian. Being a vegan means not eating animals and the bi-products that come from animals. The name of the group is "" . It is not:"_that_endorse_eating_meat_cheese_and_eggs" Recommending a non-vegan diet on an all-vegan recipes group makes no sense to me. If you want to endorse eating eggs, dairy, and meat, a vegan group is not the proper place to do it. Most vegans

are vegan for philosophical and spiritual reasons, as well as for their health, and many find the notion of eating animal bi-products disgusting and offensive (myself included.) Yes, humans are meant to have some protein in our diets. However, we are not carnivores; biologically, we are designed to be herbivores, so our protein needs are slight as compared to most other mammals. Yes it is very easy to get all your amino acids/proteins from plants; IE: you do not need to eat animal proteins to be healthy. Lots of athletes, throughout recorded history, including some Olympians, have been vegans. If your doctor or other health-care professional has recommended that you eat more protein, I suggest you hit the web, the library, and the bookstore to do a bit of research into balanced plant-based foods that are

high in the nutrients you need. There are plenty of non-animal options out there to give you all the protein you need, and a wide variety of resources that can help you find what you are looking for. I am not a moderator, and I don't wish to offend anyone, nor to perpetuate conflict. But, as a vegan member of this group, I feel I have the right to speak my mind about this matter. Please, stop advocating eggs, dairy, and meat here. Eat your veggies, eat your fruits, eats your nuts and grains... Be happy, be healthy, cook vegan! - Bonnie

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

You know what. I was just telling the poor guy what I eat, who was told by his doctor that maybe he SHOULDN'T become vegan . I wasn't saying that he should eat like me. I come here for recipes because my diet is MOSTLY vegan and maybe someday, when I can affort it, I will go completely vegan. I didn't know one had to be completely vegan to come here. I told him how he could get all his essential amino acids without meat or animal products. I try but sometimes it just isn't possible on my income. I've been out of work and I can't afford to go to 'Wild Oats' or Mom's' and all those natural food places I used to love when I had a job. I come herer because I do like to eat this way and I do like the lifestyle. Sorry, my mistake. Don't worry about it. I will never comment in this group again. I'm tired of everthying I say being picked apart, taken out of context and offending someone. Sorry to offend you but I'm NOT LIKE YOU. Rick ElliottBRB Luna Vanilla Vegan <lunavanillavegan wrote: Endorsing eggs, cheeses, and meats is counter to a vegan diet... if you are eating eggs dairy, and meat, you are not a vegan. If you are eating meats, you are not a vegan and you are not a vegetarian. Being a vegan means not eating animals and the bi-products that come from animals. The name of the group is "" . It is not:"_that_endorse_eating_meat_cheese_and_eggs"

Recommending a non-vegan diet on an all-vegan recipes group makes no sense to me. If you want to endorse eating eggs, dairy, and meat, a vegan group is not the proper place to do it. Most vegans are vegan for philosophical and spiritual reasons, as well as for their health, and many find the notion of eating animal bi-products disgusting and offensive (myself included.) Yes, humans are meant to have some protein in our diets. However, we are not carnivores; biologically, we are designed to be herbivores, so our protein needs are slight as compared to most other mammals. Yes it is very easy to get all your amino acids/proteins from plants; IE: you do not need to eat animal proteins to be healthy. Lots of athletes, throughout recorded history, including some Olympians, have been vegans. If your doctor or other health-care professional has recommended that you eat more protein, I suggest you hit the web, the library, and the bookstore to do a bit of research into balanced plant-based foods that are high in the nutrients you need. There are plenty of non-animal options out there to give you all the protein you need, and a wide variety of resources that can help you find what you are looking for. I am not a moderator, and I don't wish to offend anyone, nor to perpetuate conflict. But, as a vegan member of this group, I feel I have the right to speak my mind about this matter. Please, stop advocating eggs, dairy, and meat here. Eat your veggies, eat your fruits, eats your nuts and grains... Be happy, be healthy, cook vegan! - Bonnie PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Thank you!

I am strongly considering a transition to vegan--which is why I'm

here--and the only way to really do that is learning by example. If

everyone who comes onto this list kept talking about how they can't

not eat chicken, meat, dairy, et cetera, it's rather discouraging. I

already *can't* eat meat and dairy so it's not that huge of a leap for

me right now, and I have plenty of examples of people who can't get

their health or weight to where they want it, and when I look at their

diets I see copious amounts of either meat and/or cheese.

When I told a friend that I was considering going, and was told

" Humans *have* to eat animal protein " . I think that this is a myth

perpetuated by the meat industry, and would like to hear from others

who have managed to live healthy lives and not listen to that BS. :)

On 1/4/06, BRB Luna Vanilla Vegan <lunavanillavegan wrote:

> I am not a moderator, and I don't wish to offend anyone, nor to perpetuate

> conflict. But, as a vegan member of this group, I feel I have the right to

> speak my mind about this matter. Please, stop advocating eggs, dairy, and

> meat here.

--

AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne

* Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/

* Temenos Theon: http://kyrene.4t.com

* Boston Mysticism Boston_Mystic

* NewEngland Hellenists: NewEngland_Hellenists

Beloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place,

make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever

happens outside of me will help my soul to grow.

May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom,

and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise

man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer

enough. - Socrates

There is a livejournal community called " cheapvegan " and I don't know

if you're on it or on livejournal, but it may be worth a shot.

Learning how to eat vegan on a budget would be damned useful for a lot

of people.

On 1/5/06, Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

>

> You know what. I was just telling the poor guy what I eat, who was told by

> his doctor that maybe he SHOULDN'T become vegan . I wasn't saying that he

> should eat like me. I come here for recipes because my diet is MOSTLY vegan

> and maybe someday, when I can affort it, I will go completely vegan.

--

enough. - Socrates

Bonnie, as you say at the end, be happy...

I always felt this an inclusive group, not a group of exclusivity. To that end, Rick has always been quite valuable in the information he offers on vegan topics. And yes, he freely admits he is not a strict vegan. Maybe by hanging out here and reading your good posts, not yours flaming and attempting to banish him, he will see the points you make and drop that small portion of animal food in his diet. Until then, isn't his contribution much more useful than the fact he eats occasional egg or cheese product. Might the importance of what he does attempt be far better than no effort at all.

So long as the efforts of advocates is 100% compliance and exclusion of anyone who does not comply or anyone who disagrees, the advocacy will flounder as only being the rubbish of a few zealits. Make it our goal to educator and inform when asked, but lead by example, and perhaps we will move the goals forward much faster and further than before.

When we have to have ideas moderated, this will become a cult and not a discussion group.

Just my opinion and we all know about those...

Eric

-

BRB Luna Vanilla Vegan

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 2:01 PM

This is a vegan group, not a place to endorce eggs, cheese, & meat

Endorsing eggs, cheeses, and meats is counter to a vegan diet... if you are eating eggs dairy, and meat, you are not a vegan. If you are eating meats, you are not a vegan and you are not a vegetarian.

Being a vegan means not eating animals and the bi-products that come from animals.

The name of the group is "" .

It is not:"_that_endorse_eating_meat_cheese_and_eggs"

Recommending a non-vegan diet on an all-vegan recipes group makes no sense to me.

If you want to endorse eating eggs, dairy, and meat, a vegan group is not the proper place to do it. Most vegans are vegan for philosophical and spiritual reasons, as well as for their health, and many find the notion of eating animal bi-products disgusting and offensive (myself included.)

- Bonnie

PhotosRing in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

People who are in transition from a meat diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet should be encouraged, not discouraged. Not everyone can go vegan at the snap of someone else's fingers. Many people (including myself) join recipe groups like this to learn HOW to cook vegetarian/vegan. It's not easy learning to cook vegan when your entire cooking experience (35+ years for me) has been centered around meat and potatoes, so please just give us a break. We're trying. :-/

Endorsing eggs, cheeses, and meats is counter to a vegan diet... if you are eating eggs dairy, and meat, you are not a vegan. If you are eating meats, you are not a vegan and you are not a vegetarian.

Being a vegan means not eating animals and the bi-products that come from animals.

The name of the group is "" .

It is not:"_that_endorse_eating_meat_cheese_and_eggs"

Recommending a non-vegan diet on an all-vegan recipes group makes no sense to me.

If you want to endorse eating eggs, dairy, and meat, a vegan group is not the proper place to do it. Most vegans are vegan for philosophical and spiritual reasons, as well as for their health, and many find the notion of eating animal bi-products disgusting and offensive (myself included.)

Scenario 1:

Someone comes to this group looking for advice and recipes to help reduce/eliminate the amount of meats that he consumes. A holier-than-thou member gives a sermon about how he is not wanted here because he is not 100% vegan.

The new member leaves the group and possibly continues his old eating habits.

Scenario 2:

Someone comes to this group looking for advice and recipes to help reduce/eliminate the amount of meats that he consumes. A friendly member gives advice, suggestions, recipes, and encouragement.

The new member adopts some of the suggestions and continues to reduce his meat consumption.

I choose Scenario 2.

Here's a good chili recipe from Rachel Ray (lots of protein!):

2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) olive or vegetable oil 1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped 1 cup pale beer or vegetable stock/broth 1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes 1 (14-ounce) can black beans 1 (14-ounce) can dark red kidney beans 1 tablespoon ground cumin 2 tablespoons chili powder 1 tablespoon cayenne hot pepper sauce, several drops 1 teaspoon coarse salt 1 cup spicy vegetarian refried beans Toppings: Chopped scallions, whites and greens Diced fresh seeded plum tomato Blue and red corn tortilla chips or black bean tortilla chips, for dipping

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine. Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer, then serve up bowls of chili and top with scallions and tomatoes. Place bowls on charger plates piled with assorted tortilla chips.

Thank you, that was very helpfull! RickKyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote: There is a livejournal community called "cheapvegan" and I don't knowif you're on it or on livejournal, but it may be worth a shot. Learning how to eat vegan on a budget would be damned useful for a lotof people.--

Heh. My mom's Irish. If it's not a dairy, meat, or starch product

she doesn't know what to do with it.

Thankfully after I had gone to college, I broadened my palette

significantly. But not everyone has had such fortune.

On 1/5/06, veggierose <veggierose wrote:

> People who are in transition from a meat diet to a vegetarian or vegan diet

> should be encouraged, not discouraged. Not everyone can go vegan at the snap

> of someone else's fingers. Many people (including myself) join recipe groups

> like this to learn HOW to cook vegetarian/vegan. It's not easy learning to

> cook vegan when your entire cooking experience (35+ years for me) has been

> centered around meat and potatoes, so please just give us a break. We're

> trying. :-/

--

enough. - Socrates

Hi Kyrene,

First of all, I'm not a medical or dietary professional of any kind so please feel free to check out anything I write. In fact, it's not a bad idea to check out what the medical and dietary professionals have to say either. :o)

I'm in my 35th year of living a vegan lifestyle. I've never had a protein deficiency or any disease related to lack of protein in my diet. The fact is that the human body just doesn't need as much protein as was thought previously. Athletes and very active people need more than predominantly sedentary folks but their protein needs can also be met with ease on a vegan diet. The best way to get protein or any necessary nutrient our bodies need is to eat a varied diet. Here's an excerpt from an article on the Vegetarian Resource Group website,

"For example, if part of a day's menu included the following foods, you would meet the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for an adult male: 1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup soy milk, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 bagel, 2 Tablespoons peanut butter, 1 cup vegetarian baked beans, 5 ounces tofu, 2 Tablespoons of almonds, 1 cup broccoli, and 1 cup brown rice."

The internet has a wealth of information about vegans and our nutritional needs. Two places I would advocate going to would be www.vrg.org and www.pcrm.org . Both sites have tons of information about vegan nutrition and ways to get what our bodies need.

I'm glad this list is available for people who are trying to transition to a vegan lifestyle. I'm glad those of us who already are vegan can be of help to you. I also seem to remember there are some on this list who are not vegan and have no intention of becoming so but are here to find recipes and information about veganism so that they can support their children, siblings, friends, etc... in their vegan lifestyle. Hooray for you. I only wish my MIL would do the same! LOL

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Kyrene Ariadne

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:33 AM

Re: This is a vegan group, not a place to endorce eggs, cheese, & meat

Thank you!I am strongly considering a transition to vegan--which is why I'mhere--and the only way to really do that is learning by example. Ifeveryone who comes onto this list kept talking about how they can'tnot eat chicken, meat, dairy, et cetera, it's rather discouraging. Ialready *can't* eat meat and dairy so it's not that huge of a leap forme right now, and I have plenty of examples of people who can't gettheir health or weight to where they want it, and when I look at theirdiets I see copious amounts of either meat and/or cheese.When I told a friend that I was considering going, and was told"Humans *have* to eat animal protein". I think that this is a mythperpetuated by the meat industry, and would like to hear from otherswho have managed to live healthy lives and not listen to that BS. :)--

It's good that so many are supportive, because learning how to eat is hard enough without being beaten over the head about it. Not eating dairy means that I have to learn how to eat vegan, especially when I eat out because nine times out of ten, a vegetarian meal will have dairy in it. It's very frustrating! I also have to find out what would make a good almond substitute, because I see it in a lot of recipes. Unfortunately eating almonds will put me in the hospital. :) Glad I love and can eat peanuts. Mm, peanuts.

On 1/5/06, quintmom <quintmom wrote:

Hi Kyrene,

First of all, I'm not a medical or dietary professional of any kind so please feel free to check out anything I write. In fact, it's not a bad idea to check out what the medical and dietary professionals have to say either. :o)

I'm in my 35th year of living a vegan lifestyle. I've never had a protein deficiency or any disease related to lack of protein in my diet. The fact is that the human body just doesn't need as much protein as was thought previously. Athletes and very active people need more than predominantly sedentary folks but their protein needs can also be met with ease on a vegan diet. The best way to get protein or any necessary nutrient our bodies need is to eat a varied diet.

You're quite welcome. I have a mortgage which means that I'm " house poor " and the only reason why I can afford to shop at Wild Oats is because I don't really eat a lot. lol But it IS expensive. Thankfully many mainstream supermarkets in my area carry organic products and their aisles for organics are increasing all of the time, but they don't have any of those yummy vegan double chocolate chip cookies that I am rapidly becoming addicted to.

Mm, chocolate.

On 1/5/06, Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

Thank you, that was very helpfull!

RickKyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote:

There is a livejournal community called " cheapvegan " and I don't knowif you're on it or on livejournal, but it may be worth a shot. Learning how to eat vegan on a budget would be damned useful for a lotof people.--

-- AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne* Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/* Temenos Theon:

http://kyrene.4t.com * Boston Mysticism Boston_Mystic* NewEngland Hellenists:

NewEngland_HellenistsBeloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place, make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever happens outside of me will help my soul to grow. May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom, and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer enough. - Socrates

Hi all,

I'm with " veggierose " on this one.

Rick, if you are still on the list, I encourage you to

continue to post.

For me, veganism is about compassion for all life,

including and embracing others and their differences,

no matter what. It makes no sense to me to ostracize

those who are unable or unwilling to go 100% vegan. I

think most of us who are vegan ate meat and dairy

once. And I'd imagine it was not very long ago for

many of us. I find it useful to step back and

contemplate on why each of us made the switch. For

me, being ostracized from a recipe list would not have

helped much.

Also, I never saw a post that endorsed meat, dairy, or

eggs. Maybe I missed it. But all I saw was someone

reaching out for nutrition advice and relaying the

advice of a doctor.

Although I just went against this because I felt it

necessary, I would prefer if we just kept this list as

a resource for vegan recipes: period. I think the

moderator had reiterated this point several times in

the past, including the moderator's preference for

inclusion.

Ahimsa,

Geoff

--- Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote:

> Heh. My mom's Irish. If it's not a dairy, meat, or

> starch product

> she doesn't know what to do with it.

>

> Thankfully after I had gone to college, I broadened

> my palette

> significantly. But not everyone has had such

> fortune.

>

> On 1/5/06, veggierose <veggierose wrote:

> > People who are in transition from a meat diet to a

> vegetarian or vegan diet

> > should be encouraged, not discouraged. Not

> everyone can go vegan at the snap

> > of someone else's fingers. Many people (including

> myself) join recipe groups

> > like this to learn HOW to cook vegetarian/vegan.

> It's not easy learning to

> > cook vegan when your entire cooking experience

> (35+ years for me) has been

> > centered around meat and potatoes, so please just

> give us a break. We're

> > trying. :-/

>

>

> --

> AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne

> * Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/

> * Temenos Theon: http://kyrene.4t.com

> * Boston Mysticism

> Boston_Mystic

> * NewEngland Hellenists:

> NewEngland_Hellenists

>

> Beloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this

> place,

> make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever

> happens outside of me will help my soul to grow.

> May I always be aware that true wealth lies in

> wisdom,

> and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise

> man can lift and carry it away. For me that is

> prayer

> enough. - Socrates

>

>

>

________

DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.

I love peanuts, too. Try toasted sunflower seeds. You can toast them at home without oil. Just be careful not to burn them. (yech.)Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote: I also have to find out what would make a good almond substitute, because I see it in a lot of recipes. Unfortunately eating almonds will put me in the hospital. :) Glad I love and can eat peanuts. Mm, peanuts.

Mmmmm, roasted pumpkin seeds too!

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Meghan Gray

Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:59 AM

Re: This is a vegan group, not a place to endorce eggs, cheese, & meat

I love peanuts, too.Try toasted sunflower seeds. You can toast them at home without oil. Just be careful not to burn them. (yech.)Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote:

I also have to find out what would make a good almond substitute, because I see it in a lot of recipes. Unfortunately eating almonds will put me in the hospital. :) Glad I love and can eat peanuts. Mm, peanuts.

Now those I like (and they like me too)!

Thanks for the tip. :)

On 1/5/06, Meghan Gray <persephone44691 wrote:

> I love peanuts, too.

>

> Try toasted sunflower seeds. You can toast them at home without oil. Just

> be careful not to burn them. (yech.)

--

enough. - Socrates

Oh gods those are yummy!! And if they still have pumpkin bits on them when you cook them...mmm.

Mmmmm, roasted pumpkin seeds too!

God's Peace,

Gayle

-- AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne* Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/* Temenos Theon:

NewEngland_HellenistsBeloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place, make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever happens outside of me will help my soul to grow. May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom, and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer enough. - Socrates

Hi Kyrene :)

I don't think I've ever posted on this group (I'm more of a lurker)

but I wanted to tell you I really think you should check out the

book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He advocates a vegan diet not

because he has ethical or philosophical reasons but because he has

years of treating patients with diseases and being disease

prevention specialist through diet. While the book is primarily a

weight loss book, there is a TON of information, all incredibly well

researched, about why this diet is the healthiest. In fact, it's

what pushed me into veganism beyond my love of cheese even when I

was ethically conflicted. He backs up everything he says with

copious research and is a medical doctor who lives his own talk, not

some quack spouting opinions. If you don't need the weight loss

part, you might want to check it out from the library instead of

buying it. He references something called...The China Project, I

think, which is also a book you can buy that's just fascinating in

its discussion about diet and health.

Also, the Vegan Society's nutrition pages

(http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/) are extremely

helpful for all kinds of information (actually, their whole site is).

Lastly, I would just point out that the man who coined the

word " vegan " in the 1940s lived to a ripe old age of 95!

I hope that's helpful :)

Karey

, Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene@g...>

wrote:

>

> Thank you!

>

> I am strongly considering a transition to vegan--which is why I'm

> here--and the only way to really do that is learning by example.

Also, there are quite a few livejournal groups for vegans and most

of the people there are posting recipes the average person can do

that don't cost a fortune. The cheapvegan group doesn't have a

tremendous amount of activity but search through the memories of

vegancooking, for one, and you'll find all kinds of good stuff. Now

if you want more adventure, check out the vegancookoff group.

There's some creativity there!

Karey :)

, Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene@g...>

wrote:

> There is a livejournal community called " cheapvegan " and I don't

> know if you're on it or on livejournal, but it may be worth a shot.

> Learning how to eat vegan on a budget would be damned useful for a

> lot of people.

I recently read a similar book, Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, by Erik Marcus. It's a pretty good book.

Heart disease, cancer, and diabetes run in both sides of my family, so it really hit home for me. I read about the guy who lived to be 95. Nice!

I'll have to check your book out too--and the url! :)

On 1/5/06, alianora_dargent <karey wrote:

Hi Kyrene :)I don't think I've ever posted on this group (I'm more of a lurker) but I wanted to tell you I really think you should check out the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He advocates a vegan diet not because he has ethical or philosophical reasons but because he has years of treating patients with diseases and being disease prevention specialist through diet.

..Also, the Vegan Society's nutrition pages (

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/) are extremely helpful for all kinds of information (actually, their whole site is).Lastly, I would just point out that the man who coined the word " vegan " in the 1940s lived to a ripe old age of 95!

I hope that's helpful :)Karey

You're right Geoff, Even though I stated that I rarely eat cheese and sometimes eggs, I went on to tell him how to get his protein by eating vegan. It's silly really. I do send appologies though for saying I won't post again. That was MY knee jerk and I am sorry. Have a good one all, there are a lot of great resouces in this group and I appreciate all the support.

RickGeoff Evans <buffalodisc wrote:

Rick, if you are still on the list, I encourage you tocontinue to post.

....I never saw a post that endorsed meat, dairy, oreggs. Maybe I missed it. But all I saw was someonereaching out for nutrition advice and relaying theadvice of a doctor.

Although I just went against this because I felt itnecessary, I would prefer if we just kept this list asa resource for vegan recipes: period. I think themoderator had reiterated this point several times inthe past, including the moderator's preference forinclusion.

Ahimsa,Geoff

Also, check out any of Gary Null's books. The one that made me quit eating meat completely in one day was "Seven Steps to Ultimate Health" it's small an inexpensive. He also has many, many doctors and univerisities backing up his claims. He is totally vegan though he does offer recipes with cheeses sometimes for those who can't get away from it. He says to try the rice cheeses instead. I've found the rice cheeses to be better for cooking than the vegetarian cheeses. Rickalianora_dargent <karey wrote: Hi Kyrene :)I don't think I've ever posted on this group (I'm more of a lurker) but I wanted to tell you I really think you should check out the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

I hesitate to write this based on recent posts, but I am in no way referring to these when I say (write) that the rice cheeses aren't vegan - at least the ones that are sold in my neck of the woods aren't. they contain casein which is a dairy milk protein. So if you're vegan they aren't suitable. Vegan Rella, Soymage and Vegan Gourmet are the ones I know of that are vegan, though if anyone else knows of others please let me know. While I like all of those I listed except Vegan Rella, I always like trying new ones.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Rick Elliott

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:20 PM

Re: Re: This is a vegan group, not a place to endorce eggs, cheese, & meat

Also, check out any of Gary Null's books. The one that made me quit eating meat completely in one day was "Seven Steps to Ultimate Health" it's small an inexpensive. He also has many, many doctors and univerisities backing up his claims. He is totally vegan though he does offer recipes with cheeses sometimes for those who can't get away from it. He says to try the rice cheeses instead. I've found the rice cheeses to be better for cooking than the vegetarian cheeses.

Rickalianora_dargent <karey wrote:

Hi Kyrene :)I don't think I've ever posted on this group (I'm more of a lurker) but I wanted to tell you I really think you should check out the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.

You're right--I learned this the hard way, sadly. Unless the cheese

specifically says " vegan " I won't buy it--and even then, I'll still

check the label to be sure!

All dairy, proteins, whatever--it just doesn't sit well with me. I'll

know if something has dairy in it when I didn't know just by my body's

reaction to it. I'm every vegan's favorite food tester. :>

> I hesitate to write this based on recent posts, but I am in no way referring

> to these when I say (write) that the rice cheeses aren't vegan - at least

> the ones that are sold in my neck of the woods aren't. they contain casein

> which is a dairy milk protein. So if you're vegan they aren't suitable.

> Vegan Rella, Soymage and Vegan Gourmet are the ones I know of that are

> vegan, though if anyone else knows of others please let me know. While I

> like all of those I listed except Vegan Rella, I always like trying new

> ones.

>

> God's Peace,

> Gayle

>

--

enough. - Socrates

OMG, I didn't know that. No, please let me know things like that. I will look at it because one of the reasons I don't drink milk if because of the casein. Thanks, Rickquintmom wrote: I hesitate to write this based on recent posts, but I am in no way referring to these when I say (write) that the rice cheeses aren't vegan - at least the ones that are sold in my neck of the woods aren't. they contain casein which is a dairy milk protein. So if you're vegan they aren't suitable. Vegan Rella, Soymage and Vegan Gourmet are the ones I know of that are vegan, though if anyone else knows of others please let me know. While I like all of those I listed except Vegan Rella, I always like

trying new ones. God's Peace, Gayle