IndiaDivine.org

Fake Cheeses - was This is a vegan group...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't really understand why they would make fake cheese with dairy

products in it...The last time I went to the health food store I was

very excited to see almond cheese. I didn't even know you could make

cheese out of almonds! Then I looked at the ingredients list, just to

make sure, and it had casein in it! Why on Earth would they do that?

I was very disappointed :(

Tsaria

, <quintmom@n...> wrote:

>

> I hesitate to write this based on recent posts, but I am in no way

referring to these when I say (write) that the rice cheeses aren't

vegan - at least the ones that are sold in my neck of the woods

aren't. they contain casein which is a dairy milk protein. So if

you're vegan they aren't suitable. Vegan Rella, Soymage and Vegan

Gourmet are the ones I know of that are vegan, though if anyone else

knows of others please let me know. While I like all of those I

listed except Vegan Rella, I always like trying new ones.

>

> God's Peace,

> Gayle

When that is the case, they should call it lacto-vegetarian cheese. I'm sure they have been called to the carpet on this. Gayle, how do the cheeses you've suggested do when cooked as in casserols? Rick

, <quintmom@n...> wrote:>> I hesitate to write this based on recent posts,

but I am in no wayreferring to these when I say (write) that the rice cheeses aren'tvegan - at least the ones that are sold in my neck of the woodsaren't. they contain casein which is a dairy milk protein. So ifyou're vegan they aren't suitable. Vegan Rella, Soymage and VeganGourmet are the ones I know of that are vegan, though if anyone elseknows of others please let me know. While I like all of those Ilisted except Vegan Rella, I always like trying new ones.> > God's Peace,> Gayle

Because they're catering to people who are lactose intolerant, and not

understanding that there are people who a) can't eat dairy, b) won't

eat dairy, or even c), both (like me).... Even if I wanted to eat it

I couldn't.

On 1/5/06, Tsaria Thela <goodygrrl wrote:

> I don't really understand why they would make fake cheese with dairy

> products in it...The last time I went to the health food store I was

> very excited to see almond cheese. I didn't even know you could make

> cheese out of almonds! Then I looked at the ingredients list, just to

> make sure, and it had casein in it! Why on Earth would they do that?

> I was very disappointed :(

>

> Tsaria

yeah, i feel the same way... i wish i could find a good vegan cheese.....

On Behalf Of Tsaria ThelaThursday, January 05, 2006 6:04 PM Subject: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...I don't really understand why they would make fake cheese with dairyproducts in it...The last time I went to the health food store I wasvery excited to see almond cheese. I didn't even know you could makecheese out of almonds! Then I looked at the ingredients list, just tomake sure, and it had casein in it! Why on Earth would they do that?I was very disappointed :(Tsaria---

Tsaria,

The casein is used to make the cheese melt. That's why the vegan cheeses don't melt the same way the ones with casein in them do though Vegan Gourmet melts pretty darn well. They are vegetarian but not vegan.

God's Peace,

Gayle

You know, I think it's for people who are lactose intolerant. Anyway, that's how always had it explained to me. I understand it's the casein that makes cheese melty which is why vegan cheeses tend not to melt so well and all the others make a point to include it.

Speaking of cheeses, I got the Uncheese Cookbook for Christmas. Does anyone else have it? I see she makes actual BLOCKS (!) of vegan cheese! I'm not a huge fan of nutritional yeast sauces personally so I was pretty excited that she does so many different things. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried the others.

Karey :)

-

Tsaria Thela

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:04 PM

Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...

I don't really understand why they would make fake cheese with dairyproducts in it...The last time I went to the health food store I wasvery excited to see almond cheese. I didn't even know you could makecheese out of almonds! Then I looked at the ingredients list, just tomake sure, and it had casein in it! Why on Earth would they do that?I was very disappointed :(Tsaria---

is vegan gourmet vegan? where can i find it?

On Behalf Of quintmomSent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:53 PM Subject: Re: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...

Tsaria,

The casein is used to make the cheese melt. That's why the vegan cheeses don't melt the same way the ones with casein in them do though Vegan Gourmet melts pretty darn well. They are vegetarian but not vegan.

God's Peace,

Gayle

Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it. I'm afraid to look. I love it. RickSumayyah <mayaangel wrote: is vegan gourmet vegan? where can i find it? On Behalf Of quintmomSent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:53 PM Subject: Re: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group... Tsaria, The casein is used to make the cheese melt. That's why the vegan cheeses don't melt the same way the ones with casein in them do though Vegan Gourmet melts pretty darn well. They are vegetarian but not vegan. God's Peace, Gayle

I'm pretty sure Smart Balance does have dairy. Earth

Balance, however, does not.

--- Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

> Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it.

> I'm afraid to look. I love it.

>

> Rick

>

________

DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.

Vegan Gourmet is vegan :) However, it doesn't have a huge

distribution. I can't find it where I live (Kansas City, MO) at all.

If you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats or Coop, you might be able to

find it with the other " fake cheese " items.

-

Sumayyah <mayaangel

Friday, January 6, 2006 10:31 am

RE: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a

vegan group...

> is vegan gourmet vegan? where can i find it?

What I can see from a quick search online is that the light version is

vegan but the regular isn't. You might want to double check the

label, though. I would think it would be more likely to have whey in

it than casein.

I use Earth Balance and like it a lot. I can even find it in sticks

for baking, which is nice.

Karey

-

Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman

Friday, January 6, 2006 2:00 pm

RE: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a

vegan group...

> Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it. I'm afraid to

> look. I love it.

>

> Rick

Quick way to tell is to look for the kosher symbol and see if it has D

or pareve next to it. I use Earth Balance and it's pareve, meaning no

dairy. A warning that fish is considered to be pareve, but if it has

dairy, it'll have a D instead like soy cheeses do.

On 1/6/06, Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

> Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it. I'm afraid to look. I

> love it.

>

> Rick

>

> Sumayyah <mayaangel wrote:

> is vegan gourmet vegan? where can i find it?

>

> On

--

AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne

* Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/

* Temenos Theon: http://kyrene.4t.com

* Boston Mysticism Boston_Mystic

* NewEngland Hellenists: NewEngland_Hellenists

Beloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place,

make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever

happens outside of me will help my soul to grow.

May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom,

and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise

man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer

enough. - Socrates

Smart balance is not vegan, but Benecol is. I use Benecol light and it's yummy.Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote: Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it. I'm afraid to look. I love it.--

Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

I believe Smart Balance says Vegan right on the top.

--- Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

> Please don't tell me Smart Balance has casein in it.

> I'm afraid to look. I love it.

>

> Rick

________

DSL – Something to write home about.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.

dsl.

OK darn it. I'm going to look... Parve with a circled 'U', non-hydrogenated, gluten and gelatin free, (so no whale or wheat) lactose free, contains no dairy ingredients (all this was taken off the label), I see no casein anywhere! I'm clear! Woohoo! RickEd Valentine <tacomaharbor wrote: I believe Smart Balance says Vegan right on the top.

Looking at the website, Smart Balance 67% Spread and Omega Plus spread have whey in them, so they're not vegan. The 37% spread seems to be vegan, though.

http://www.smartbalance.com/product.html

-

Ed Valentine

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:16 PM

RE: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...

I believe Smart Balance says Vegan right on the top.--- Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman wrote:

But when I checked the website it had milk in the ingredients. We're still

talking about fake cheese, right? I'm wondering because so many are

responding with info on the spreads even though the subject heading still

says fake cheese. Smart Balance cheeses do have dairy in them. The

lactose-free cheese (Smart Beat) still has casein, as their website states

on the " Lactose Concerns " page.

As for Smart Balance spreads, the only ones with " parve " on the label are:

Smart Squeeze Fat-free margarine

Smart Beat Super Light margarine

http://www.smartbalance.com/

I checked the Benecol website and their spreads do seem to be vegan. No

dairy on the ingredients list that I can see. :)

>I believe Smart Balance says Vegan right on the top.

Well, the stuff here in Ohio at big box grocery stores has whey in

it. It may be a different variation of the product though. Earth Balance is

vegan.

Peace,

ellen

On Behalf Of Rick Elliott

Saturday, January 07, 2006

12:55 AM

RE: Re:

Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...

OK darn it. I'm going to look... Parve with a circled 'U',

non-hydrogenated, gluten and gelatin free, (so no whale or wheat) lactose free,

contains no dairy ingredients (all this was taken off the label), I see no

casein anywhere! I'm clear! Woohoo!

Rick

Ed Valentine

<tacomaharbor wrote:

Sorry veggierose, I was talking about the 'butter' I didn't know they made cheese too. Rickveggierose <veggierose wrote:

But when I checked the website it had milk in the ingredients. We're still talking about fake cheese, right? I'm wondering because so many are responding with info on the spreads even though the subject heading still says fake cheese. Smart Balance cheeses do have dairy in them. The lactose-free cheese (Smart Beat) still has casein, as their website states on the "Lactose Concerns" page.

That's okay. They make margarine, cheese, popcorn, peanut butter, all kinds of good stuff without transfats. ;)

Sorry veggierose, I was talking about the 'butter' I didn't know they made cheese too.

Rick

Part of the problem always seems to be different areas of the country have different formulations for whatever reason. The recipe changes and different areas get the new products faster. If you're buying a product from a company that isn't vegan, it's always a good idea to periodically check the ingredients as they alter formulas pretty regularly.

Doesn't make a lot of sense when you don't notice a change in the taste, does it?

Karey

-

Ellen Hunter

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:19 AM

Well, the stuff here in Ohio at big box grocery stores has whey in it. It may be a different variation of the product though. Earth Balance is vegan.

ellen

Vegan Gourmet is vegan. In some areas it is hard to get. When we finally did get it in my area (after being asked continually), we only got the mozzarella, Monterey jack, and nacho cheddar. While I liked both, I really wanted the plain cheddar kind. I had to push for quite a while to get the stores here to carry it. They kept telling me that that kind wasn't made. It is. Tree of Life I think is the distributor. Keep pushing your health food stores to get it. More than likely they already have Tree of Life as one of their distributors. As an alternative, you can order it directly from the company that makes it - Follow Your Heart.

God's Peace,

Gayle

One thing to look for in buttery spreads and such is lactic acid. Unless it indicates on the ingredient list that it is from a vegetable source, lactic acid is an animal derivative.

God's Peace,

Gayle

Rick, pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are pareve and not vegan. Animal derivatives hide in many different forms. Check out "Animal Ingredients and Their Alternatives" at: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=72 You'll be surprised at how many things have animal ingredients under names that you would never associate with animals. The list might seem overwhelming, but after awhile it becomes second nature when checking ingredients. Also, after awhile you get to no what you can and can't consume. A word of caution on that front, though. Companies sometimes change their recipes to "improve" them. When they do what we thought we could eat becomes something we no longer can because they include animal products. Burger King did this with their vegetarian burger. It was vegan in the beginning but they changed the recipe later. I think it's still vegetarian but it isn't vegan any longer.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Rick Elliott

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:55 AM

OK darn it. I'm going to look... Parve with a circled 'U', non-hydrogenated, gluten and gelatin free, (so no whale or wheat) lactose free, contains no dairy ingredients (all this was taken off the label), I see no casein anywhere! I'm clear! Woohoo!

RickEd Valentine <tacomaharbor wrote:

There are two natural food stores in the area. One caters to the Vietnamese and Korean community here which isn't bad. In L.A., a Vietnamese Mom used to give me a big hunk of homemade tofu every week. That was nice. It was like keeping a pet though, because I had to keep changing the water in the fridge for the tofu. I'm a man, I have better things to do! Just kidding. I don't want to start a big conversation about the roles of men... lol. The other store is more like GNC. If I can convince the owner that I will be a regular customer, and she seems approachable (she's heard of Gary Null), I think she'll order whatever I ask. Thanks for the info Gayle! You are a Gem. Rickquintmom wrote: Vegan Gourmet is

vegan. In some areas it is hard to get. When we finally did get it in my area (after being asked continually), we only got the mozzarella, Monterey jack, and nacho cheddar. While I liked both, I really wanted the plain cheddar kind. I had to push for quite a while to get the stores here to carry it. They kept telling me that that kind wasn't made. It is. Tree of Life I think is the distributor. Keep pushing your health food stores to get it. More than likely they already have Tree of Life as one of their distributors. As an alternative, you can order it directly from the company that makes it - Follow Your Heart. God's Peace, Gayle