IndiaDivine.org

Fake Cheeses - was This is a vegan group...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks again Gayle. So that's why the burger tastes so bad. It had to be the worst vegetarian burger I've ever had. I've only had it once about a year ago. Rickquintmom wrote: Rick, pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are pareve and not vegan. Animal derivatives hide in many different forms. Check out "Animal Ingredients and Their Alternatives" at: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=72 You'll be surprised at how many things have animal ingredients under names that you would never associate with animals. The list might seem overwhelming, but after awhile it becomes second nature when

checking ingredients. Also, after awhile you get to no what you can and can't consume. A word of caution on that front, though. Companies sometimes change their recipes to "improve" them. When they do what we thought we could eat becomes something we no longer can because they include animal products. Burger King did this with their vegetarian burger. It was vegan in the beginning but they changed the recipe later. I think it's still vegetarian but it isn't vegan any longer. God's Peace, Gayle

On 1/8/06, quintmom <quintmom wrote:

> Rick, pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are

> pareve and not vegan.

Pareve means " no dairy " and neither meat nor poultry. Fish is

considered pareve. Anything made with things like gelatin is neither

pareve nor even kosher.

In a message dated 1/8/2006 7:43:46 PM Central Standard Time, kyrene writes:

Pareve means "no dairy" and neither meat nor poultry. Fish isconsidered pareve. Anything made with things like gelatin is neitherpareve nor even kosher.

There is kosher gelatin...sometimes its agar-agar and sometimes its from fish bones. It's either listed as "kosher gelatin" or "marine gelatin". There was the whole controversy with Emes gelatin a while ago about whether it was vegetarian, although it was kosher.

Sarah

You are correct. RickKyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote: On 1/8/06, quintmom <quintmom wrote:> Rick, pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are> pareve and not vegan.Pareve means "no dairy" and neither meat nor poultry. Fish isconsidered pareve. Anything made with things like gelatin is neitherpareve nor even kosher.

However, Palmitate is pareve as is steric acid. They aren't vegan. Also, a Rabbi certified the marshmallows sold by Vegan Essentials as pareve when they had animal gelatin in them. I definitely don't go by the pareve listing because it doesn't indicate to me that it is vegan also.

God's Peace,

Gayle

Kyrene Ariadne <kyrene wrote:

On 1/8/06, quintmom wrote:> Rick, pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are> pareve and not vegan.Pareve means "no dairy" and neither meat nor poultry. Fish isconsidered pareve. Anything made with things like gelatin is neitherpareve nor even kosher.

I love Morningstar garden burgers, but they put milk in them.

:( I have to look for specifically vegan garden burgers now.On 1/8/06, Rick Elliott <madbaldscotsman

> wrote:

Thanks again Gayle. So that's why the burger tastes so bad. It had

to be the worst vegetarian burger I've ever had. I've only had it once

about a year ago. Rickquintmom wrote:

Rick,

pareve does not mean vegan. There are plenty of things that are

pareve and not vegan. Animal derivatives hide in many different

forms. Check out " Animal Ingredients and Their Alternatives " at: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=72

You'll be surprised at how many things have animal ingredients under

names that you would never associate with animals. The list might

seem overwhelming, but after awhile it becomes second nature when

checking ingredients. Also, after awhile you get to no what you

can and can't consume. A word of caution on that front,

though. Companies sometimes change their recipes to " improve "

them. When they do what we thought we could eat becomes something

we no longer can because they include animal products. Burger

King did this with their vegetarian burger. It was vegan in the

beginning but they changed the recipe later. I think it's still

vegetarian but it isn't vegan any longer. God's Peace, Gayle

-- AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne * Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/ * Temenos Theon: http://kyrene.4t.com

* Boston Mysticism Boston_Mystic * NewEngland Hellenists:

NewEngland_HellenistsBeloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place, make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever happens outside of me will help my soul to grow. May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom, and may my " gold " be so abundant that only a wise man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer enough. - Socrates

Kyrene,

Morningstar does have a vegan burger too - it's just hard to find in my area. They're pretty good - better than Boca Burger. Even the local HFS don't carry the vegan variety very often. I'm hoping when Wild Oats opens here in Feb that they will carry a better variety of things than our present HFSs carry. You also can find some really good recipes online for vegan burgers. I think there are also some in the files of this list. Tastes yummy, more nutritious, and much cheaper.

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Kyrene Ariadne

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:44 AM

Re: Re: Fake Cheeses - was Re: This is a vegan group...

I love Morningstar garden burgers, but they put milk in them. :( I have to look for specifically vegan garden burgers now.

-- AIM: Kyrene Ariadne : kyreneariadne* Dadoukhoi http://www.dadoukhoi.org/* Temenos Theon: http://kyrene.4t.com * Boston Mysticism Boston_Mystic* NewEngland Hellenists: NewEngland_HellenistsBeloved Pan, and all ye other gods who haunt this place, make me beautiful within, and grant that what-ever happens outside of me will help my soul to grow. May I always be aware that true wealth lies in wisdom, and may my "gold" be so abundant that only a wise man can lift and carry it away. For me that is prayer enough. - Socrates