IndiaDivine.org

Benecol and low cholesterol

Rate this topic

Guest guest

When I first became vegan, the only butter-alternative I could find was Benecol, which is supposed to help reduce cholesterol. I don't know if it contributed but between not eating any animal-cholestrol and using it, my cholesterol was actually too low for a while. Which could have had serious consequences. But I stopped using Benecol (I like Willow Run margarine), was told to eat fatty foods like avocados and olives and my body just got adjusted to being vegan. I still find it slightly amusing that I was worried about my cholesterol being too low when it seems like so many Americans are worried about it being too high. So anyways, just a little caution about Benecol although I have no idea if anyone else has had similar problems. Of course, perhaps it's encouraging for anyone with high cholesterol. :-) Michele

DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

From what I undersand, and I could be wrong, you don't want your good cholesterol(HDL) to be too low, while your bad cholesterol (LDL) should be pretty darn low. The total should be below 120 if you're ultra healthy. I believe that vegans ARE ultra healthy, especially if they go the extra mile and become organic also, getting rid of the pesticides that toxify the liver. A dietician told me that they were going to lower the level to 90 mg. RickMichele <dreamingstardust wrote: When I first became vegan, the only butter-alternative I could find was Benecol, which is supposed to help reduce cholesterol. I don't know if it contributed but between not eating any animal-cholestrol and using it, my cholesterol was actually too low for a while. Which could have

had serious consequences. But I stopped using Benecol (I like Willow Run margarine), was told to eat fatty foods like avocados and olives and my body just got adjusted to being vegan. I still find it slightly amusing that I was worried about my cholesterol being too low when it seems like so many Americans are worried about it being too high. So anyways, just a little caution about Benecol although I have no idea if anyone else has had similar problems. Of course, perhaps it's encouraging for anyone with high cholesterol. :-) Michele DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

Parkey Squeeze margarine - blue bottle has no whey or casein listed. Niether do some of the fleishmans varietys.Our last two " fun " finds were buttermilk biscuits at Aldi's (25cents.. no butter or milk in the ingredients despite the name of the product) and some butter cookies there (amost like crackers but with big sugar cystals on the outside - again no real butter in them.

YvonneOn 1/7/06, Michele <dreamingstardust wrote:

When I first became vegan, the only butter-alternative I could find was Benecol, which is supposed to help reduce cholesterol. I don't know if it contributed but between not eating any animal-cholestrol and using it, my cholesterol was actually too low for a while. Which could have had serious consequences. But I stopped using Benecol (I like Willow Run margarine), was told to eat fatty foods like avocados and olives and my body just got adjusted to being vegan.