IndiaDivine.org

I Can't Believe It's Vegan was: Smart Balance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What a helpful website!! Thank you, Gayle, for posting it!! :)

Karey, you're right about the Smart Balance only the light is vegan. If you have questions about different foods, PETA has a wonderful list called "I Can't Believe It's Vegan". This is a list of foods you can find at your run-of-the-mill grocery stores that are vegan. You can find it at: http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/ There's also a kid version at: http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.html

God's Peace,

Gayle

PETA tries to keep the list as updated as possible. I haven't found anything on the list YET that isn't vegan but then I don't buy all the things on the list. One thing is that you need to look at the specific thing that it lista and buy that particular variety only - not another flavor of the same thing. Looking at ingredients is the best but this is a way for those getting started to have a bit of help an for those who don't carry the list of ingredients that have names that would never indicate they are from animal sources with them. There are things on that list I would never buy and they are vegan. Why? Because they are unhealthy. It's not a list of organic, non-gmo, non-hydrogenated, healthy foods. It's a list of foods that are vegan that can be bought at your local supermarket. FWIW

God's Peace,

Gayle

-

Karey Greenup

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:55 PM

Re: Re: I Can't Believe It's Vegan was: Smart Balance

Not to say anything bad about PETA but I've heard from a lot of people in the (online) vegan community that that list isn't accurate and that there are non-vegan things on it (I could probably find out what, specifically, if someone wanted me to). I would imagine that since formulations and recipes change so often in the food world, that's probably one reason it might have inaccuracies.

One person's junk is another person's treasure. I think the items on that

list are geared more towards the transitional vegan. As time goes by the

need to lean on these transitional crutches may lessen. ;)

>I think the thing that disappoints me about the PETA list is how many of

> those foods are absolute junk. Especially since they have that list

> specifically geared to children. Yes, there may not be any animal

> products

> in fruity pebbles, but they are not what I want my kids to think of as we

> are supposedly learning the " health " benefits of a vegan lifestyle. Hope

> this sounds less grumpy than I think it does. sorry.