Unethical vegans?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dunno how many of you are on the vegan list but lately

there's been a discussion about vegans wearing wool, suede & leather. To my

way of thinking a vegan doesn't wear those but one person on the list said

he wore suede & leather shoes and when they wore out he would replace them

with the same as he was a vegan for health reasons.

Now much as I don't like to judge people I'm having problems with vegans

with attitudes like this. I wouldn't even call them vegan though I think

most dictionaries only refer to the non-eating of animals. I just didn't

realise before that these vegans existed; that anyone would adopt this

restricted diet with only regard to their own health. Although maybe they do

it for ecological reasons too. If ever I met a vegan I didn't ask them for

specifics, just assumed they were vegan for the same reasons I was. Just

seems to me they're thinking of themselves and not the suffering & pain of

the animals. And if there is a way found of making animal eating healthy &

ecologically sound then they'll go back to eating them.

In particular I'd like to ask Lesley what you think of these vegans as

you're always mentioning the fact that you automatically support all vegans.

Just wondering...

Cheers

Viv

" You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji "

www.veganvillage.co.uk

www.vegansociety.com

http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Guest guest

I have also said I support all vegans but the only ones I have ever met have done it "for the animals " .

Those who do it for health reasons I wouldn't count .

I also expect vegans to be ARA but sadly some are not , and it is not because they have young children keeping them busy ( or similar demands on their time ) I don't understand why they can't at least do leafletting or street stalls

-

Viv

Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:21 PM

Unethical vegans?

Dunno how many of you are on the vegan list but latelythere's been a discussion about vegans wearing wool, suede & leather. To myway of thinking a vegan doesn't wear those but one person on the list saidhe wore suede & leather shoes and when they wore out he would replace themwith the same as he was a vegan for health reasons.Now much as I don't like to judge people I'm having problems with veganswith attitudes like this. I wouldn't even call them vegan though I thinkmost dictionaries only refer to the non-eating of animals. I just didn'trealise before that these vegans existed; that anyone would adopt thisrestricted diet with only regard to their own health. Although maybe they doit for ecological reasons too. If ever I met a vegan I didn't ask them forspecifics, just assumed they were vegan for the same reasons I was. Justseems to me they're thinking of themselves and not the suffering & pain ofthe animals. And if there is a way found of making animal eating healthy & ecologically sound then they'll go back to eating them.In particular I'd like to ask Lesley what you think of these vegans asyou're always mentioning the fact that you automatically support all vegans.Just wondering...CheersViv"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji"www.veganvillage.co.ukwww.vegansociety.comhttp://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

.. i guess, vegan for health reasons could also mean they go hunting, support vivisection etc. vegan for health reason is just a selfish act, tho, fortunatly, the animals don't suffer from it.....RAT............ Dunno how many of you are on the vegan list but latelythere's been a discussion about vegans wearing wool, suede & leather. To myway of thinking a vegan doesn't wear those but one person on the list saidhe wore suede & leather shoes and when they wore out he would replace themwith the same as he was a vegan for health reasons.Now much as I don't like to judge people I'm having problems with veganswith attitudes like this. I wouldn't even call them vegan though I thinkmost dictionaries only refer to the non-eating of animals. I just didn'trealise before that these vegans existed; that anyone would adopt thisrestricted diet with only regard to their own health. Although maybe they doit for ecological reasons too. If ever I met a vegan I didn't ask them forspecifics, just assumed they were vegan for the same reasons I was. Justseems to me they're thinking of themselves and not the suffering & pain ofthe animals. And if there is a way found of making animal eating healthy & ecologically sound then they'll go back to eating them.In particular I'd like to ask Lesley what you think of these vegans asyou're always mentioning the fact that you automatically support all vegans.Just wondering...CheersViv"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji"www.veganvillage.co.ukwww.vegansociety.comhttp://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Didn't mean health vegans were unethical BTW, just seemed an amusing thing to call them.

Anyway, I have animal eating friends so who am I to judge? My belief is we're all along the same line somewhere and one day, we'll be the norm and no-one will eat or use animals any more. Can't call myself "ethical" anyway because I'm not so good at saving the planet type of stuff or people-exploitation. Decided a while back saving the planet meant saving the people and most weren't worth saving. Very cynical view but I was involved in anti-vivisection orgs at the time and it jaundiced my view of things. Or did it open my eyes?

And if people aren't eating animals, for whatever reason, then that's got to be a good thing.

Here endeth the sermon!

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Angie Wright [angiewright]Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:47 PM Subject: Re: Unethical vegans?

I have also said I support all vegans but the only ones I have ever met have done it "for the animals " .

I also expect vegans to be ARA but sadly some are not , and it is not because they have young children keeping them busy ( or similar demands on their time ) I don't understand why they can't at least do leafletting or street stalls

Guest guest

I didn't sign up to be a full member of the Vegan Society until I had stopped wearing leather, wool and silk. I thought at the time and still do if its only a dietary thing then it was better to call your a strict vegetarian. I've never understood why people find the clothes question so difficult to deal with its only a matter of reading labels, footwear is a bit more of a problem but not that much these days.

There are far greater practical problems being a Vegan when for instance if you are managing services to the public then dealing with personal clothes buying.

Roy

Dunno how many of you are on the vegan list but latelythere's been a discussion about vegans wearing wool, suede & leather. To myway of thinking a vegan doesn't wear those but one person on the list saidhe wore suede & leather shoes and when they wore out he would replace themwith the same as he was a vegan for health reasons.

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

A couple of times I've come across the non-ethical vegan phenomenon:

one was on Tv on a daytime tv cooking show: an australian bloke who

owned a farm, and he was 'vegan' because he knew exactly what goes

into meat and dairy (like hormones, recycled animal corpes as food,

etc) and this was why he didn't eat it. That must be the most prime

example of a non-ethical 'vegan', and a hypocrit at that.

The other time was when i was surfing the net trying to find vegan

sites and found a site that had been made by a texan ex-farmer,

again, and who was vegan for the same reasons. At least this guy had

given up farming and made a website that warned people of what went

into meat and dairy. I can't remember what address it was though.

Jules

(by the way I've worked out the profile thing and realised why I was

coming up as djules_75 on the message board, have now changed it)

, " Viv " <Viv@c...> wrote:

> Didn't mean health vegans were unethical BTW, just seemed an

amusing thing

Guest guest

You can't fight all causes Viv .Even within animal rights one can only play a small part . I know some vegans who only do environmental issues ,and others who do a bit of both

I also don't really care about saving humans as a race but find it difficult not to help someone ( eg an elderly person who falls etc ) I don't stop to ask if they are animal friendly

Perhaps I should ( people often walk past and do nothing --They clearly must be the animal eaters !!!!!!!!)

-

Viv

Monday, March 25, 2002 12:07 AM

RE: Unethical vegans?

Can't call myself "ethical" anyway because I'm not so good at saving the planet type of stuff or people-exploitation. Decided a while back saving the planet meant saving the people and most weren't worth saving. Very cynical view but I was involved in anti-vivisection orgs at the time and it jaundiced my view of things. Or did it open my eyes?

And if people aren't eating animals, for whatever reason, then that's got to be a good thing.

Here endeth the sermon!

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Angie Wright [angiewright]Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:47 PM Subject: Re: Unethical vegans?

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

>...if its only a dietary thing then it was better to call your a strict

>vegetarian....

Trouble is real vegetarians shouldn't wear leather though (although wool is

okay for them as the sheep are not killed) so it could still get

confusing. Personally I'd call them health vegans or dietary vegans.

It is probably the case that if you are vegetarian or vegans only for

health reasons you wouldn't care about animal derived additives either as

they would be seen as having an insignificant effect on health.

Michael

Guest guest

But did you know that lots of wool is not vegetarian either, as it comes as

a by-product from the slaughtered sheep?

You can't tell, unless it's from a company that only uses shorn sheep wool,

so even vegetarians should be very careful about wool.

Lesley

Mavreela [nec.lists]

25 March 2002 09:16

>...if its only a dietary thing then it was better to call your a strict

>vegetarian....

Trouble is real vegetarians shouldn't wear leather though (although wool is

okay for them as the sheep are not killed) so it could still get

confusing. Personally I'd call them health vegans or dietary vegans.

It is probably the case that if you are vegetarian or vegans only for

health reasons you wouldn't care about animal derived additives either as

they would be seen as having an insignificant effect on health.

Michael

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author,

there may be another side to the story you have not heard.

---------------------------

Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>

Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

i don't think any activism is a necessary part of being a vegan....

Z

-

Angie Wright

Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:47 PM

Re: Unethical vegans?

Angie

Guest guest

It doesn't have to be but I was replying to a question which was to do with supporting vegans against criticism

I would give preference to animal rights vegans over those who are only vegans .

Health only vegans I would not have any reason to support

I still cannot understand why vegans would not in some way be involved in animal rights

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 11:30 AM

Z

-

Angie Wright ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

because vegans already are doing something for animal rights...

why on earth wouldn't you support anyone who chooses veganism ... health or not?

Z

-

Angie Wright

Monday, March 25, 2002 12:48 PM

It doesn't have to be but I was replying to a question which was to do with supporting vegans against criticism

I would give preference to animal rights vegans over those who are only vegans .

I still cannot understand why vegans would not in some way be involved in animal rights

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Angie Wright ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

maybe we should create a sub catagorie of vegans. I

remeber when it was great to be a vegetarian. Now you

have to be a vegan...now you have to be a vegan who

also has a stall?

Sheesh......

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Guest guest

People who are vegans for health reasons alone are not doing it to help animals . They have a different mind set and we would not understand each other . All the vegans I know well are in animal rights . They do not regard health as an important issue The animals not being killed is their moyivation

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 1:45 PM

why on earth wouldn't you support anyone who chooses veganism ... health or not?

Z

-

Angie Wright

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Guest guest

I'm vegan for animal rights as you know, although I'm not very active these days, however I would personally find it easier being around health vegans who don't smoke than ethical vegans who do smoke. It is important for ethical vegans to care about health to some degree, simply because we should want to avoid having preventable illnesses and the subsequent use of lots of animal-tested medicine. So the health issues are very relevant to saving animals.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]25 March 2002 17:01 Subject: Re: Unethical vegans?

People who are vegans for health reasons alone are not doing it to help animals . They have a different mind set and we would not understand each other . All the vegans I know well are in animal rights . They do not regard health as an important issue The animals not being killed is their moyivation

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Angie Wright

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Guest guest

None of the vegans I know smoke so I tend to forget that many still do . I was trying to differentiate between AR people who therefore have to be vegan/veggie and those who are vegan for health and would not be interested in animal issues necessarily

-

Lesley Dove

Monday, March 25, 2002 5:26 PM

I would personally find it easier being around health vegans who don't smoke than ethical vegans who do smoke. It is important for ethical vegans to care about health to some degree, simply because we should want to avoid having preventable illnesses and the subsequent use of lots of animal-tested medicine. So the health issues are very relevant to saving animals.

Lesley

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Angie Wright

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Guest guest

My vegan freind smokes all the time...in my house...Im

pretty sure that second hand smoke is not good for my

cat...maybe I shall bring that up with him... LOL kidding....

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Guest guest

Maybe it's different in London, I've seen lots of AR activists smoking. When I was on a demo recently at that lab in North Harrow, lots of the protesters were smoking but I stayed away from the smokers and leafletted door to door. It was fortunate I had this to do as I refuse to stand near to them when they are smoking and I think smoking creates a dirty impression of AR people unfortunately. I'm pretty sure as they are AR they would be mostly if not all vegans.

Lesley

Angie Wright [angiewright]25 March 2002 18:12 Subject: Re: Unethical vegans?

None of the vegans I know smoke so I tend to forget that many still do . I was trying to differentiate between AR people who therefore have to be vegan/veggie and those who are vegan for health and would not be interested in animal issues necessarily

-

Lesley Dove

Monday, March 25, 2002 5:26 PM

I would personally find it easier being around health vegans who don't smoke than ethical vegans who do smoke. It is important for ethical vegans to care about health to some degree, simply because we should want to avoid having preventable illnesses and the subsequent use of lots of animal-tested medicine. So the health issues are very relevant to saving animals.

Lesley

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Angie Wright

-

Oliver Slay

Z

-

Guest guest

Heard on the BBC today that 50% of smokers die from smoking-related causes. That means 50% don't. And maybe the extra healthy diet and exercise (running away from labs, sabbing etc) makes them less likely to succumb.

I worked in a very non-vegan job (betting shops) for several years which was very smoky. Don't like sitting around in a very smoke filled atmosphere but since I'm a drinker I put up with it. And yes, I know about the risks of passive smoking.

Cheers

Viv

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:29 PM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Maybe it's different in London, I've seen lots of AR activists smoking. When I was on a demo recently at that lab in North Harrow, lots of the protesters were smoking but I stayed away from the smokers and leafletted door to door. It was fortunate I had this to do as I refuse to stand near to them when they are smoking and I think smoking creates a dirty impression of AR people unfortunately. I'm pretty sure as they are AR they would be mostly if not all vegans.

Lesley

Guest guest

Sorry but being vegan does not stop me being made ill by passive smoke, so I avoid it. It has always made me ill anyway. The worst thing was being a constantly sickly child because my mother smoked all the time. I thought I would feel ill all my life and it was just that I had a poor constitution. When I realised what it was that was making me ill, no-one believed me, and I had to wait until I left home before I was ever reasonably healthy. Still have a weak chest but take no shit from smokers any more! My mother's smoking possibly cost me a place in nurse training several years ago, because I think I was rejected because my chest X-ray was not good as I was still recovering from bronchitis.

Roy Castle died from passive smoke and you could always go to Wetherspoon's pubs as I have heard they have no-smoking areas.

I would think that hunt saboteurs would be more likely to get breathless and be less good at running if they were smokers and would be more effective if they quit!

Lesley

Viv [Viv]25 March 2002 19:02 Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Heard on the BBC today that 50% of smokers die from smoking-related causes. That means 50% don't. And maybe the extra healthy diet and exercise (running away from labs, sabbing etc) makes them less likely to succumb.

I worked in a very non-vegan job (betting shops) for several years which was very smoky. Don't like sitting around in a very smoke filled atmosphere but since I'm a drinker I put up with it. And yes, I know about the risks of passive smoking.

Cheers

Viv

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:29 PM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Lesley