IndiaDivine.org

tibetans vegan?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

it's lucky that you don't travel in Tibet then ... where there are few plants .. no trees ... and the only food the nomadic tribes have is tea made from imported 'bricks' of ground tea mixed with yaks butter (and they use dried yaks dung to hold the bits down) ... a paste made from ground roast barley (either made with saliva or tea...) ... like a starch ball... they also eat raw meat (mutton or yak) :

"a haunch is left outside to freeze, and this preserves it to a certain extent for several months, though the recurrent heat of the day causes it to thaw sufficiently to become putrescent. at night it freezes again, a process which repeats itself as long as the meat lasts. the tibetans do not object to the semi-putrescence, as they consider that the taste is this way improved. occasionally the meat is cooked, but for the most part the peasants prefer to eat it raw. hacking off small pieces with their great knives, they eat it with their fingers."

"fish and fowl are considered too filthy to be eaten. vegetables are unknown."

tell me... would you ask them to cut out half of their diet? (leaving them with a gooey starch ball for the rest of it?) ...

would you hate them all because of their diet? ... a diet which has come about by itself because of the specific land from which they make a living?

probably not much different from Mongolians ...

and those small Islands who would find it difficult nutritionally if they ever gave up the fish in their diet ... ?

how many people are you going to hate? ...

why not take a bunch of leaflets over and set up stall ....

anyway it's all probably too late for that ... the chinese, who were always really quite disgusted with the Tibetans diet and there method of feeding the dead to vultures rather than burying them, are steadily eradicating tibetan culture with 'education' ... restaurants in Lhasa hardly ever sell tibetan food ... only chinese food ... and nomads don't have freedom to roam .. because china sells the land to big oil companies... (trespassing is forbidden).... (sarcasm) ... tibet is a slowly dying country ... one of those cases where no one will really realise it till it's far too late... and then we'll have a Save Tibet Culture concert with lots of aging pop stars .... (as opposed to Free Tibet) ...

Z

-

Angie Wright

Sunday, March 24, 2002 9:33 PM

Re: I am a convert

I think its ok to be nasty to animal eaters once you have told them about what they do ,because they can no longer plead ignorance .

I'm lucky that the only animal eaters I know are colleagues at work or strangers who I meet doing stalls

-

djules_75

Sunday, March 24, 2002 5:03 PM

I am a convert

Apologies to Lesley, Angie and SP for past replies, I amd changing my attitude. Looking back I have so far existed as an often confrontational, negative person towards meat eaters (almost everyone else I know), because the bottom line is that they eat dead animals.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

No I don't travel --Can't afford to!

I'm obviously talking about those I meet in the west (UK)

How do you feed yourself when you go there? It is a place I shall have to avoid since there won't be anything I can eat

I don't object to the cannibals lifestyle for the reasons you have given (loss of a culture etc ) but I won't travel to those areas.

What do the Yaks find to eat ? Where does the barley come from

I only set up stalls in my town Nice of you to make fun of me over it . I suggest in future you don't assume we can all travel

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 11:57 AM

tibetans vegan?

it's lucky that you don't travel in Tibet then ... where there are few plants .. no trees ... and the only food the nomadic tribes have is tea made from imported 'bricks' of ground tea mixed with yaks butter (and they use dried yaks dung to hold the bits down) ... a paste made from ground roast barley (either made with saliva or tea...) ... like a starch ball... they also eat raw meat (mutton or yak) :

Z

---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

but you can't have one rule for the west and one for the east...

i don't go ... because i'm vegan and i wouldn't be able to eat.. and i don't agree with the Chinese occupation ...

i think the yaks eat the grass... the barley is grown in lower climates... and ground up in the villages... the nomads trade yaks for barley ... and other necessities for travelling ...

i was not assuming you could travel ... i was having a go at you for hating people who don't live by your rules...

Z

-

Angie Wright

Monday, March 25, 2002 1:01 PM

Re: tibetans vegan?

No I don't travel --Can't afford to!

I'm obviously talking about those I meet in the west (UK)

How do you feed yourself when you go there? It is a place I shall have to avoid since there won't be anything I can eat

I don't object to the cannibals lifestyle for the reasons you have given (loss of a culture etc ) but I won't travel to those areas.

What do the Yaks find to eat ? Where does the barley come from

I only set up stalls in my town Nice of you to make fun of me over it . I suggest in future you don't assume we can all travel

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 11:57 AM

tibetans vegan?

Z

---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

>but you can't have one rule for the west and one for the east...

Why not? Playing devils advocate would not " You should not make use of

animals for you own needs except where there is absolutely no alternative "

encompass both Angie's view and that of the Tibetans?

Michael

Guest guest

I don't hate people who don't live by my rules (are people on here having a problem with reading ! )

I hate people who cause the deaths of animals for no good reason I am talking about the civilisation I know not minorities who live in unfriendly conditions

I also hate mass murderers and paedophiles etc OK

I forgot to mention I dislike people who nit pick and try to make an argument where there wasn't one

Why did you bring up the Tibetans ???. It is ok to have different rules !!! Surely it depends on availability of food and education to some extent . They don't have factory farms either That makes a difference

Angie

PS Don't forget to snip

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 1:49 PM

i don't go ... because i'm vegan and i wouldn't be able to eat.. and i don't agree with the Chinese occupation ...

i was not assuming you could travel ... i was having a go at you for hating people who don't live by your rules...

Z

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

i was asking a hypothetical question ...

i dislike the word hate ... that's all ... it's a little strong ...

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 5:13 PM Subject: Re: tibetans vegan?

I don't hate people who don't live by my rules (are people on here having a problem with reading ! )

I hate people who cause the deaths of animals for no good reason I am talking about the civilisation I know not minorities who live in unfriendly conditions

I forgot to mention I dislike people who nit pick and try to make an argument where there wasn't one

Why did you bring up the Tibetans ???. It is ok to have different rules !!! Surely it depends on availability of food and education to some extent . They don't have factory farms either That makes a difference

Angie

PS Don't forget to snip

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 1:49 PM

Z

Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

I've been vegan a long time !!!

-

Oliver Slay

' '

Monday, March 25, 2002 6:09 PM

RE: tibetans vegan?

Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

a l-o-n-g, l-o-n-g time!

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:32 PM Subject: Re: tibetans vegan?

-

Oliver Slay

' '

Guest guest

i don't think you really mean to use the word 'hate'... many people just jump in throwing about 'hate' 'evil' 'sin' etc... without really thinking through what they are doing...

for to hate is not to understand ... a truly compassionate person does not hate anyone... there are few truly compassionate people around ... (and i do not profess to being one of them....)

what happens when you see someone being cruel to animals? you may take the side of the weak and vulnerable... but what is it that makes the person be cruel to something that is at a disadvantage? ...

perhaps you understand what it means to be the victim.... and from this perspective any aggressor is at fault?

perhaps you feel i am an aggressor to you ... but i have far from hurtful intentions... i only want people to think about what they are really saying...

you say you don't hate people who don't live by your rules and then you say that you hate mass-murderers and paedophiles...

well which is it?

Z

PS i've no intention of snipping ... it sounds far too painful :-)

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 5:13 PM Subject: Re: tibetans vegan?

Angie

PS Don't forget to snip

Guest guest

so you should understand then ... but surely not hate...

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:32 PM Subject: Re: tibetans vegan?

-

Oliver Slay

' '

Guest guest

I hate those who cause suffering unless they are unaware -mental defectives or live in inhospitable climates -Inuits etc. This includes mass murderers/paedophiles/animal eaters . I thought I made this clear

I do hate them but they are not always aware of the fact cos I suppress the feeling and i am a good actress ( not aware that I know any paedophiles/mass murderers -before you question me on that one .

You said there are few truely compassionate people and that the truely compassionate would not hate anyone Well surprising as it may seem I'm not one of the few so I can hate people !

I don't care why someone is being cruel , I just see it as bullying and I hate bullies

I do sometimes think about what I am saying but did not think that it was a condition of my being on this list .

I chat for recreation not to have an intellectual discussion on semantics or whether I'm thinking something thro'

Edith where are you ? lets have some more of your

light hearted banter Things are getting too serious here !!

-

Oliver Slay

' '

Monday, March 25, 2002 7:07 PM

i don't think you really mean to use the word 'hate'... many people just jump in throwing about 'hate' 'evil' 'sin' etc... without really thinking through what they are doing...

for to hate is not to understand ... a truly compassionate person does not hate anyone... there are few truly compassionate people around ... (and i do not profess to being one of them....)

? ...

.... i only want people to think about what they are really saying...

you say you don't hate people who don't live by your rules and then you say that you hate mass-murderers and paedophiles...

well which is it?

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

I should do a lot of things ! but only if I choose to

-

Oliver Slay

' '

Monday, March 25, 2002 7:55 PM

so you should understand then ... but surely not hate...

-

Oliver Slay

' '

i dislike the word hate ... that's all ... it's a little strong ... ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -