IndiaDivine.org

Lesley Dove's participation dilemma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I think that respectful vegans of all varieties should stay.I'm not too keen on the others, but freedom of speech is an icon, a sacred cow.But surely Lesley and Ana should be on , also.msc

ana_talib <ana_talib wrote: Sorry, lesley, that this reply does not deal with every point - at the moment i have so little time: baby, work, open uni, and although most people can deal with that kind of thing well - i can't because i am rubbish at orginising my time.Here we go:Basiclly i think you should carry on with this group since you represent a minority opinion (anti abortion) and for all you know there may be people who harbour such an opinion also but are scared to come out about it since to be prolife in the vegan world means to be harangued. But if a person sees someone strong enough to defend such a position maybe they will 'come out' since it is something to be built upon...Also it is neccessary that prolifers are vocal about their beliefs since if it is left to pro abortionists to talk about our position then you can be sure that it will be straw men that will be constructed. From a pro-abortion point of view this is a bad thing also since if they are giving a weak straw man version of a pro life positon then the arguments they give to refute a weakened prolife postition will also be weakened and will be inadequate to deal with a proper prolife argument.Not that i think we should help strengthen pro abortion arguments just that it would be a natural consequence of open dialogue between prolife and proabortion positions. But i think the benifits outweigh the costs i remember when i first reconsidered my position on abortion (yes for most of my life i was proabortion) when i was 19 it was very hard for me to speak about it since i was the only vegan in the scene that was antiabortion and the atmosphere in the scene was vehamently opposed to people holding such positions.It was much easier for me to be open about being prolife when i started to get in touch with people who also held those views.You by being in this group may indeed provide that service to people who may be holding opinions like that in secrecy.Rememember that you are the one who are in the right!

Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards®