IndiaDivine.org

Unethical vegans? - and shellac

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

well that does not mean that all vegans are animal rights .. nor vice versa ...

i doubt very much that someone who is vegan for health reasons (like my mum who found she was allergic to dairy) - would also be cruel to animals ... if you become vegan and you have leather shoes you should keep them ... there is no point in wasting... certainly one's veganism is in doubt if one continues to buy leather products when an alternative will do...

but i doubt very much a vegan for health reasons would condone any harm to animals...

----

what about shellac? do you count insects?

since the food packaging industry, cosmetics, electrical equipment, lipsticks, crayons, shoe polish, car polish, floor polish often contain lac resin, dye and wax ... old records were coated with it ... some apples are still coated with it ...

"Lac cultivation is done by putting sticks of lac encrustations (broodlac) which contain mature female (gravid) insects, which are about to give birth to young larvae, on suitably prepared specific host plants. After emergence from the mother cells, the young larvae settle on the fresh twigs of the host plants, suck the plant sap and grow to form encrustations. The twigs containing these encrustations are harvested after they are fully grown to extract the lac resin."

but what do you do when?

"Since lac insects are cultured on host trees which are growing primarily in wasteland areas, promotion of lac and its culture can help in eco-system development as well as reasonably high economic returns."

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 5:01 PM Subject: Re: Unethical vegans?

People who are vegans for health reasons alone are not doing it to help animals . They have a different mind set and we would not understand each other . All the vegans I know well are in animal rights . They do not regard health as an important issue The animals not being killed is their moyivation

-

Oliver Slay

Monday, March 25, 2002 1:45 PM

Re: Unethical vegans?

because vegans already are doing something for animal rights...

why on earth wouldn't you support anyone who chooses veganism ... health or not?

Z

Guest guest

I have also wondered about shellac...Its even in

candy....And the leather issue too....if you have

leather when you become a vegan, it makes sense to

keep your shoes until they wear out, then buy new

vegan ones. I know people who throw out soap, shoes,

etc upon becomeing veg*an. It seems like the animal

died to be made into shoes that were trown away!

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Guest guest

Its pointless to waste them once the sale has been made

-

ned_flagherty

Monday, March 25, 2002 6:10 PM

Re: Unethical vegans? - and shellac

I have also wondered about shellac...Its even incandy....And the leather issue too....if you haveleather when you become a vegan, it makes sense tokeep your shoes until they wear out, then buy newvegan ones. I know people who throw out soap, shoes,etc upon becomeing veg*an. It seems like the animaldied to be made into shoes that were trown away!Everything you'll ever need on one web pagefrom News and Sport to Email and Music Chartshttp://uk.my.~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Of course we count shellac. Insect bits are to be avoided where possible as much as bigger animal bits. I don't judge an animal by it's size (this is one true case of size doesn't matter!). The number of wee beasts who get fished out of my bath is legion. Yeah, I probably tread on them (unknowingly) a half hour later but all we can do is try. I don't count those too small to be seen by the naked eye (which, in my case are getting bigger by the day so I'd better be careful here!), so I'm not sure how far down the "food chain" I go but i do my best. As I said before, we're all along the same line somewhere. I suppose we each have our own definition of vegan that we live to.

I do find it difficult when animal-eaters check labels for animal testing tho (my sister does this). So you can eat it but not put shampoo in it's eyes? (Maybe spoils the taste?). Still, each to his/her own.

Glad I started this now, the list was getting way too quiet!

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Oliver Slay [oliver]Monday, March 25, 2002 5:56 PM' ' Unethical vegans? - and shellac

well that does not mean that all vegans are animal rights .. nor vice versa ...

i doubt very much that someone who is vegan for health reasons (like my mum who found she was allergic to dairy) - would also be cruel to animals ... if you become vegan and you have leather shoes you should keep them ... there is no point in wasting... certainly one's veganism is in doubt if one continues to buy leather products when an alternative will do...

but i doubt very much a vegan for health reasons would condone any harm to animals...

----

what about shellac? do you count insects?

since the food packaging industry, cosmetics, electrical equipment, lipsticks, crayons, shoe polish, car polish, floor polish often contain lac resin, dye and wax ... old records were coated with it ... some apples are still coated with it ...

Guest guest

I had some leather boots but after a short time just felt too uncomfortable wearing them - luckily a non-veg friend wore the same size as me and took them from me.

Cheers

Viv

Angie Wright [angiewright]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:31 PM Subject: Re: Unethical vegans? - and shellac

Its pointless to waste them once the sale has been made

-

ned_flagherty

Monday, March 25, 2002 6:10 PM

Re: Unethical vegans? - and shellac

I have also wondered about shellac...Its even incandy....And the leather issue too....if you haveleather when you become a vegan, it makes sense tokeep your shoes until they wear out, then buy newvegan ones. I know people who throw out soap, shoes,etc upon becomeing veg*an. It seems like the animaldied to be made into shoes that were trown away!