IndiaDivine.org

Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

When I was a kid we were "poor". We had a council house (in those days you rented them and couldn't, even if you wanted to, buy them) with a bloody big (compared to the one I have now) garden out the back. Never even occurred to us to grow veg; we were townies see, townies just don't do that. And it never occurred to me, till I moved to Somerset when I was 30, that it would have been a good idea. Twas also while I was in Somerset, I discovered just how cheap a veg*n diet was. Those days, there weren't all the animal substitutes there are now so it was basically a pulse & veg based diet and you don't get much cheaper than that. Just gotta know how to cook them to make them palatable. These days, we're spoilt for choice but it comes at a price - monetary, that is. Should I be made redundant later this year & not get another job I have no doubts about the ability to eat well (nutritionally speaking) on a restricted budget. Cable tv & shopping will have to go tho!

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:45 AM Subject: RE: Angie

Sorry but this is rubbish, poor people in Brixton are a world apart from people in Tibet or the Inuits.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheaper than processed foods and animal products, and you can get protein without tofu.

I really don't buy it that poor people in the UK cannot easily be vegan or at least vegetarian, and are especially better off for it as cheap meat in poor areas is often unsafe (anyone see the Money Programme covering the cheap meat trade?)

Lesley

Oliver Slay [oliver]25 March 2002 19:24' 'RE: Angie

i spoke to a dietician some time ago who was not familiar with the vegan diet ... she works with really poor people in Brixton in London ... she told me there's absolutely no way you can go around preaching even vegetarianism to people who don't even have enough money to feed their kids a healthy diet... her aim with most of them can only be to get them on a reasonably nutritional diet which is within their reach... and a bit of meat is cheaper than a bit of tofu...

again ... i am off the mark ... i forget you are talking about people with choice...

Z

Guest guest

We also had a council house and my dad grew most standard vegetables T thought every one did that then . We were townies ---still are

Angie

-

Viv

Wednesday, March 27, 2002 1:34 AM

When I was a kid we were "poor". We had a council house (in those days you rented them and couldn't, even if you wanted to, buy them) with a bloody big (compared to the one I have now) garden out the back. Never even occurred to us to grow veg; we were townies see, townies just don't do that.

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:45 AM Subject: RE: Angie

Sorry but this is rubbish, poor people in Brixton are a world apart from people in Tibet or the Inuits.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheaper than processed foods and animal products, and you can get protein without tofu.

I really don't buy it that poor people in the UK cannot easily be vegan or at least vegetarian, and are especially better off for it as cheap meat in poor areas is often unsafe (anyone see the Money Programme covering the cheap meat trade?)

Lesley

Oliver Slay [oliver]25 March 2002 19:24' 'RE: Angie

i spoke to a dietician some time ago who was not familiar with the vegan diet ... she works with really poor people in Brixton in London ... she told me there's absolutely no way you can go around preaching even vegetarianism to people who don't even have enough money to feed their kids a healthy diet... her aim with most of them can only be to get them on a reasonably nutritional diet which is within their reach... and a bit of meat is cheaper than a bit of tofu...

again ... i am off the mark ... i forget you are talking about people with choice...

Z

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Maybe it was too late by the time we got the house. To start with, we rented a room but there were 6 of us in the one room. Then us kids went into care, then we went into some sort of accommodation where the father couldn't live, then we had a council flat, all of us together so by the time we got the house & garden I must've been about 9 or 10. Perhaps they'd forgotten how to grow veg by then. Or maybe it just wasn't done in Dagenham. All I know is we didn't grow veg and I don't know anyone else that did. But then again, how much notice to kids take of what their friends parents do? I'll ask my ex "best friend" who I've just met up with again tho, now I think of it, she's short of money and has got a huge garden but no veg in it (as far as I noticed anyway).

Cheers

Viv

Angie Wright [angiewright]Saturday, March 30, 2002 8:13 PM Subject: Re: Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

We also had a council house and my dad grew most standard vegetables T thought every one did that then . We were townies ---still are

Angie

-

Viv

When I was a kid we were "poor". We had a council house (in those days you rented them and couldn't, even if you wanted to, buy them) with a bloody big (compared to the one I have now) garden out the back. Never even occurred to us to grow veg; we were townies see, townies just don't do that.

Cheers

Viv

Guest guest

Perhaps you could cultivate her garden ? Does she live near you ?

-

Viv

Saturday, March 30, 2002 11:28 PM

RE: Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

I'll ask my ex "best friend" who I've just met up with again tho, now I think of it, she's short of money and has got a huge garden but no veg in it (as far as I noticed anyway).

Cheers

Viv

Angie Wright [angiewright]Saturday, March 30, 2002 8:13 PM Subject: Re: Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

Angie

-

Viv

Cheers

Viv ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

No she lives quite a way away. And I've got black fingers anyway!

Cheers

Viv

Angie Wright [angiewright]Saturday, March 30, 2002 11:36 PM Subject: Re: Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

Perhaps you could cultivate her garden ? Does she live near you ?

-

Viv

Saturday, March 30, 2002 11:28 PM

RE: Nutrition(?) was RE: Angie

I'll ask my ex "best friend" who I've just met up with again tho, now I think of it, she's short of money and has got a huge garden but no veg in it (as far as I noticed anyway).

Cheers

Viv

Angie

-

Viv

Cheers

Viv ~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -