IndiaDivine.org

smoking was Unethical vegans?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Tried Wetherspoons pubs, don't like most of them/beer they've sold so far. No-one said you had to take shit from smokers but till it's illegal and as long as they're smoking in smoking-allowed areas you can only put up or get out. My mum also smoked all her life and, up till now, I've had no ill effects from it.

Don't understand the ref to Roy Castle - or was he the only one so far to have been definitely diagnosed as having contracted cancer (or whatever he died from) from passive smoking?

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:47 AM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Sorry but being vegan does not stop me being made ill by passive smoke, so I avoid it. It has always made me ill anyway. The worst thing was being a constantly sickly child because my mother smoked all the time. I thought I would feel ill all my life and it was just that I had a poor constitution. When I realised what it was that was making me ill, no-one believed me, and I had to wait until I left home before I was ever reasonably healthy. Still have a weak chest but take no shit from smokers any more! My mother's smoking possibly cost me a place in nurse training several years ago, because I think I was rejected because my chest X-ray was not good as I was still recovering from bronchitis.

Roy Castle died from passive smoke and you could always go to Wetherspoon's pubs as I have heard they have no-smoking areas.

I would think that hunt saboteurs would be more likely to get breathless and be less good at running if they were smokers and would be more effective if they quit!

Lesley

Viv [Viv]25 March 2002 19:02 Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Heard on the BBC today that 50% of smokers die from smoking-related causes. That means 50% don't. And maybe the extra healthy diet and exercise (running away from labs, sabbing etc) makes them less likely to succumb.

I worked in a very non-vegan job (betting shops) for several years which was very smoky. Don't like sitting around in a very smoke filled atmosphere but since I'm a drinker I put up with it. And yes, I know about the risks of passive smoking.

Cheers

Viv

"You'll Never Walk Alone with a Basenji" www.veganvillage.co.uk www.vegansociety.com http://VEGAN-info.com/index.htm

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:29 PM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Maybe it's different in London, I've seen lots of AR activists smoking. When I was on a demo recently at that lab in North Harrow, lots of the protesters were smoking but I stayed away from the smokers and leafletted door to door. It was fortunate I had this to do as I refuse to stand near to them when they are smoking and I think smoking creates a dirty impression of AR people unfortunately. I'm pretty sure as they are AR they would be mostly if not all vegans.

Lesley

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Yes, Roy Castle played his trumpet or whatever instrument he played in smoky jazz clubs for years and that is definitely what killed him. I'm sure he is not the only person who didn't smoke but who died from being forced to breathe lots of second-hand smoke.

I am fortunate not to have any other allergies or sensitivities that I know of, but second-hand smoke has always caused me breathing problems and lots of catarrh and sore throats for days on end. I really noticed a huge difference to my health when I moved away from my parents. You are lucky that you did not feel you were being harmed and abused by being exposed to your mother's smoke, but then lots of sexually abused kids apparently don't even fully understand that they are being abused at the time if it's all they have known, and they don't know that what is being done to them is very wrong, as no-one has told them. Doesn't make it right though. You won't know yet if you are about to get a smoking-related disease from all that second-hand smoke, it could just happen any time as it did with Roy Castle. I certainly tend not to go places where smoking is allowed, and I always make a fuss if people smoke in no-smoking areas, that is just plain rude and selfish. But I have more than once had to change train carriages because of a smoker who just gives me verbal abuse when he is told to stop - and I am of course talking about no-smoking carriages, sometimes entirely no-smoking trains. Until smoking is made illegal, smokers will ignore no-smoking rules because they usually get away with it.

The trouble is we all have to take their shit because no-one does anything to them for breaking the rules!

Actually I am a bit worried about my aunt's wedding reception, more because people might smoke there than whether we can eat anything! I would prefer to be a bit hungry than phlegmy and wheezy and nauseous.

Lesley

Viv [Viv]27 March 2002 01:44 Subject: smoking was Unethical vegans?

Tried Wetherspoons pubs, don't like most of them/beer they've sold so far. No-one said you had to take shit from smokers but till it's illegal and as long as they're smoking in smoking-allowed areas you can only put up or get out. My mum also smoked all her life and, up till now, I've had no ill effects from it.

Don't understand the ref to Roy Castle - or was he the only one so far to have been definitely diagnosed as having contracted cancer (or whatever he died from) from passive smoking?

Cheers

Viv

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:47 AM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Sorry but being vegan does not stop me being made ill by passive smoke, so I avoid it. It has always made me ill anyway. The worst thing was being a constantly sickly child because my mother smoked all the time. I thought I would feel ill all my life and it was just that I had a poor constitution. When I realised what it was that was making me ill, no-one believed me, and I had to wait until I left home before I was ever reasonably healthy. Still have a weak chest but take no shit from smokers any more! My mother's smoking possibly cost me a place in nurse training several years ago, because I think I was rejected because my chest X-ray was not good as I was still recovering from bronchitis.

Roy Castle died from passive smoke and you could always go to Wetherspoon's pubs as I have heard they have no-smoking areas.

I would think that hunt saboteurs would be more likely to get breathless and be less good at running if they were smokers and would be more effective if they quit!

Lesley

Viv [Viv]25 March 2002 19:02 Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Heard on the BBC today that 50% of smokers die from smoking-related causes. That means 50% don't. And maybe the extra healthy diet and exercise (running away from labs, sabbing etc) makes them less likely to succumb.

I worked in a very non-vegan job (betting shops) for several years which was very smoky. Don't like sitting around in a very smoke filled atmosphere but since I'm a drinker I put up with it. And yes, I know about the risks of passive smoking.

Cheers

Viv

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Monday, March 25, 2002 6:29 PM Subject: RE: Unethical vegans?

Maybe it's different in London, I've seen lots of AR activists smoking. When I was on a demo recently at that lab in North Harrow, lots of the protesters were smoking but I stayed away from the smokers and leafletted door to door. It was fortunate I had this to do as I refuse to stand near to them when they are smoking and I think smoking creates a dirty impression of AR people unfortunately. I'm pretty sure as they are AR they would be mostly if not all vegans.

Lesley

~~ info ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Please remember that the above is only the opinion of the author, there may be another side to the story you have not heard.---------------------------Was this message Off Topic? Did you know? Was it snipped?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Guidelines: visit <site temporarily offline>Un: send a blank message to -

Guest guest

Yes, I know what he did for a living, was just wondering what it said on his death certificate. Didn't realize the cause of lung cancer (or whatever it was he died from) could be diagnosed for certain.

Cheers

Viv

Lesley Dove [Lesley]Wednesday, March 27, 2002 10:21 PM Subject: RE: smoking was Unethical vegans?

Yes, Roy Castle played his trumpet or whatever instrument he played in smoky jazz clubs for years and that is definitely what killed him. I'm sure he is not the only person who didn't smoke but who died from being forced to breathe lots of second-hand smoke.