>Anouk Sickler <zurumato

>May 11, 2006 12:06 PM

>

> Re: gardens

>

>

>ARGH!!

>

>I am saving up my money to buy land somewhere else!

>

>never mind the soil, just the politics here is enough to

>drive someone away.

>

>i see this temporary.

> and I am concentrating on the beautiful

>Nature of florida for my mental sanity.

>

>thanks,

>encyclopedia fraggle :)

>

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

>>

>> well..most of florida was below sea level not that long ago geologically

>> 130,000 years ago all of southern florida was below sea level during

>the interglaciation perid...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Talking of soil, I just spent the last half hour tranfering my compost heap into my new compost bin which arrived today. Our local council subsidises these so I had to have one! P.S. Nice work on the weather today Peter (BB) The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: trying....trying....like i said in another e-mail..our soil is absolute garbage, and its gonna take awhile to build it up...>Anouk Sickler >May 11, 2006 8:38 AM> > Re: gardens>>wow! >that's really impressive,>you have a lot of work to do!>>you have a small supermarket

:)>>what kind of plants are these?>>Black Krimm>> Sebastopol> >and what does lovage taste like?>>lovage>>>> , fraggle wrote:>>>> >>>>>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

You realy need to get some organic matter in there to improve it. Start composting? The Valley Vegan.................Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: hi fraggle,the soil in my backyard is sandy. we have so much sand that my kids play "in the sand"in a little corner, and they do not come out muddy.i beleive that in the past something must've happened,because I keep finding many, many seashells, beautiful ones,whenever I am digging up the ground.I am just ten minutes from the beach, at sea level,so I am thinking thatthere was once a tsunami in my neighborhood, millions of years ago. , fraggle wrote:>> trying....trying....> like i said in another e-mail..our soil is

absolute garbage, and itsgonna take awhile to build it up...> > > > >Anouk Sickler > >May 11, 2006 8:38 AM> > > > Re: gardens> >> >wow! > >that's really impressive,> >you have a lot of work to do!> >> >you have a small supermarket :)> >> >what kind of plants are these?> >>Black Krimm> >> Sebastopol> > > >and what does lovage taste like?> >>lovage> >> >> >> > , fraggle wrote:> >>> >> > >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >To send an email to

- > >

Guest guest

We've been adding compost to our sand for 30 years - it is still sand! It just seems to eat the compost. We'll keep trying though.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:33 PM

Re: Re: gardens

You realy need to get some organic matter in there to improve it. Start composting?

The Valley Vegan.................Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

hi fraggle,the soil in my backyard is sandy. we have so much sand that my kids play "in the sand"in a little corner, and they do not come out muddy.i beleive that in the past something must've happened,because I keep finding many, many seashells, beautiful ones,whenever I am digging up the ground.I am just ten minutes from the beach, at sea level,so I am thinking thatthere was once a tsunami in my neighborhood, millions of years ago. , fraggle wrote:>> trying....trying....> like i said in another e-mail..our soil is absolute garbage, and itsgonna take awhile to build it up...> > > > >Anouk Sickler > >May 11, 2006 8:38 AM> > > > Re: gardens> >> >wow! > >that's really impressive,> >you have a lot of work to do!> >> >you have a small supermarket :)> >> >what kind of plants are these?> >>Black Krimm> >> Sebastopol> > > >and what does lovage taste like?> >>lovage> >> >> >> > , fraggle wrote:> >>> >> > >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

what time of year are you adding compost?

jo May 11, 2006 1:49 PM Re: Re: gardens

We've been adding compost to our sand for 30 years - it is still sand! It just seems to eat the compost. We'll keep trying though.

Jo

-

peter hurd

You realy need to get some organic matter in there to improve it. Start composting?

hi fraggle,the soil in my backyard is sandy. we have so much sand that my kids play "in the sand"in a little corner, and they do not come out muddy.i beleive that in the past something must've happened,because I keep finding many, many seashells, beautiful ones,whenever I am digging up the ground.I am just ten minutes from the beach, at sea level,so I am thinking thatthere was once a tsunami in my neighborhood, millions of years ago. , fraggle wrote:>> trying....trying....> like i said in another e-mail..our soil is absolute garbage, and itsgonna take awhile to build it up...> > > > >Anouk Sickler > >May 11, 2006 8:38 AM> > > > Re: gardens> >> >wow! > >that's really impressive,> >you have a lot of work to do!> >> >you have a small supermarket :)> >> >what kind of plants are these?> >>Black Krimm> >> Sebastopol> > > >and what does lovage taste like?> >>lovage> >> >> >> > , fraggle wrote:> >>> >> > >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

We've tried all times really. Sometimes in the autumn so it can have all winter, sometimes in early spring, and always when we redig a border or plannt anything new.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:42 PM

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

Autumn is suppose to work best for sand...

add amendments all the during the year, then bulk up on mulch in the fall

jo May 11, 2006 3:43 PM Re: Re: gardens

We've tried all times really. Sometimes in the autumn so it can have all winter, sometimes in early spring, and always when we redig a border or plannt anything new.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:42 PM

Jo

-

peter hurd

Guest guest

hi anouk. warm summers, mild wet winters... sort of just makes semi tropical. never snows in auckland though it has happened. some areas get frosts.

birds love red guavas too... we enjoy sharing them...

peace

colin

-

Anouk Sickler

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:53 AM

Re: gardens

hi colin,mmm, I love red guavas. what is the climate in where you live like? , "Colin Sky" <colinsky wrote:>> might as well chat. we have red guavas, fruiting, fejoias, yellowand red tamarillos in full swing. persimmon, a bunch of bananas green.> coriander, parsley, mint, chives, lemon, mint balm. celery, spinach,4 variety lettuce, odd tomato, silver beet, all ready to veganicallymunch except the bananas.> > peace> > colin

Guest guest

This autumn we will be digging up perennials and replanting, so we'll

add the mulch then.

Jo

Fraggle wrote: Autumn is suppose to work best for sand...

add amendments all the during the year, then bulk up on mulch in the

fall

Guest guest

I would suggest a good 3-4 inch mulch, in autumn to let the weather and worms do thei stuff, as well as digging some in in Spring. Should make all the difference. The Valley Vegan............. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: what time of year are you adding compost? jo May 11, 2006 1:49 PM Re: Re: gardens We've been adding compost to our sand for 30 years - it is still sand! It just seems to eat the compost. We'll keep trying though. Jo - peter hurd Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:33 PM Re: Re: gardens You realy need to get some organic matter in there to improve it. Start composting? The Valley Vegan.................Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: hi fraggle,the soil in my backyard is sandy. we have so much sand that my kids play "in the sand"in a little corner, and they do not come out muddy.i beleive that in the past something must've happened,because I keep finding many, many seashells, beautiful ones,whenever I am digging up the ground.I am just ten minutes from the beach, at sea level,so I am thinking thatthere was once a tsunami in my neighborhood, millions of years ago. , fraggle wrote:>>

trying....trying....> like i said in another e-mail..our soil is absolute garbage, and itsgonna take awhile to build it up...> > > > >Anouk Sickler > >May 11, 2006 8:38 AM> > > > Re: gardens> >> >wow! > >that's really impressive,> >you have a lot of work to do!> >> >you have a small supermarket :)> >> >what kind of plants are these?> >>Black Krimm> >> Sebastopol> > > >and what does lovage taste like?> >>lovage> >> >> >> > , fraggle wrote:> >>> >> > >>> >> >> >> >> >> >>

>> >To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

We'll have to add it more often than we have done. We've got loads of compost at present, so it might be worth removing the top six inches of sandy earth in the border and replacing with the compost and then mulch again later on.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:31 PM

I would suggest a good 3-4 inch mulch, in autumn to let the weather and worms do thei stuff, as well as digging some in in Spring. Should make all the difference.

The Valley Vegan.............

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Jo

-

peter hurd